Question of the Day, Sunday June 23rd

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, all! Another dizzy weekend so a very easy question. Can you do CPR?

Of course I can! It's kind of a requirement for my job. But I first learned in the 8th grade, along with other basic life support. It's something I would have had to take anyway since I've done my share of free babysitting.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have been certified a few times but the last time was about 12 years ago. I have never had to actually do it and I haven't regularly trained and certified in it for quite some time so I can't really say that I can do it. It's surprising how much of a physical exertion it is to do it correctly. The last time I certified annually was in the military and the standard there for continuing to do it is until someone gets there to take over or until you can't physically continue.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I first learned CPR as part of a Red Cross swimming class in the early '60s, then a more advanced training in Hospital Corpsman school. I haven't, however, gone through the latest iteration that employs hands only.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. It's a requirement to get my registration for my career. I had to take the course to graduate and then I took it again maybe ten years later...just for a refresh. They also introduced those public use AEDs by then so I was able to learn how to use them. I mean, they're pretty straight forward and tell you what to do, but it was still nice to get my hands on one outside of an emergency just so I know what to expect.
I've never had to use CPR, but I almost did...We came upon a possible drowning and there was a guy doing CPR on this man. He was doing a good job, but we stuck around in case he needed help. I can't believe how useless and panicky all the other bystanders were just freaking out and yelling...fyi they were only onlookers not related to/with the drowned man. Anyway, only a couple minutes later the paramedics showed up so my CPR services weren't needed. But because of the terrain, (bottom of a ravine, on a small trail, near the waters edge) one of the paramedics singled me and my husband out to help with holding the gurney while they lifted the man onto it and strapped him in. Unfortunately, I highly doubt the guy made it. He was already completely grey when they lifted him on the gurney. I actually think he was gone before even hitting the water from a massive heart attack. I overheard someone say that he just fell out of his kayak and didn't come up. I feel bad for the guy that did the CPR though...he really was doing a great job but like I said...I think the guy was already dead.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been certified but it's been at least 5 years. So I'm not sure I'd remember and I'm not sure even if I was if I'd be able to do it in the heat of the moment.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I went through the training just three months ago. I wasn’t able to do the compressions when my guy was on the table; I had to put him on the floor so I could get enough leverage with my body. Someone would have to take over for me pretty quickly if we had an emergency.

My friend didn’t look great after I was done, did he.
1719181338369.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jem Jem I am not purraising that the man likely didn't make it, but the effort made to save him. It is very difficult on an actual person.

Tobermory Tobermory I laughed out loud at your little man! No offense, but why is his face half pink? :lol: Did you have to slap him around a little? "Hold still, you!"

Last edited:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I laughed out loud at your little man! No offense, but why is his face half pink? :lol: Did you have to slap him around a little? "Hold still, you!"
He certainly wasn’t very cooperative! I thought about it, but the instructors would probably have failed me. I texted this pic to my husband during the training, and he texted back, “It looks like you killed him.” :paperbag: Mine was the only one with a red face. Maybe he had COVID.

Kidding aside, I’m glad I had the training, but everyone in the room—except the EMTs—was older than 65. I’m not sure how effective we’d be in an emergency! Preparation is always wise, though.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I’m glad I had the training, but everyone in the room—except the EMTs—was older than 65. I’m not sure how effective we’d be in an emergency!
I was in my twenties and very fit when I was doing the annual certification and there would be a very definite limit in how long I could do it. In a real situation there would be a boost from adrenaline but still there would be a definite limit. That is why the military said until relieved or you just can't physically go on.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was certified years ago (pets as well). I had to perform it once. It was not pleasant, and the person unfortunately did not survive. The doctor did tell me that had the CPR somehow miraculously worked, which was not likely, the person would have been a vegetable. I am not a medical professional, and everything I knew kind of disappeared from my mind when I had to take action but the 911 person helped talk me through it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
iPappy iPappy that is wonderful that you learned for pets, too! I gave my dog (RIP Bo, you were the goodest boy) a piece of cheese and he got choked. He immediately fell on the ground and went into a seizure. I did a blind finger sweep (I know, I know :lol: ) and this innocent creature who wouldn't have hurt a fly clamped his teeth down on my hand. I got the cheese dislodged and he jumped right back up again, as if nothing had happened. Crisis averted. :sweat:

denice denice I think it's still great that you know how and are able to assist. Even a little bit of time until another Good Samaritan can arrive to help could mean saving a life.