Question of the Day: Sunday, July 6

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do your cats play with yarn?

I'm sure everyone has seen an image or cartoon of a cat playing with a yarn ball. I got a skein of yarn from the community sharing basket for my daughter and placed it outside of her bedroom door. Oliver caught sight of it and went totally nuts over it. It was as if he'd found the biggest, most awesome rat ever and had to play with it, repeatedly and hilariously. Super cute.

Last edited:

if i fit i sit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

mine did

we made them a small yarn ball and hung it on a twig and they just loved it. 

there must be something in the yarn that makes kitties so happy. 

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I once had a cocker spaniel pup. She got an afghan I was crocheting. I was not at home. When we did get home, it is a good thing we turned on the lights. The pup had run all over the house and created a maze, around chair and table legs from room to room, etc. You get the picture. She was sitting there with what was left in her mouth. :lol3:

Last edited:

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I never had a yarn ball for him, so I don't know if he likes it. He goes dangerously nuts for strings though, I don't leave any lying around without me watching him. My guess is that he'll be afraid of the ball of yarn. 

OT: Wasn't Oliver about to get a new name? 

Last edited:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same here. I've never gotten one for him, so I have no idea. He does like "string type" things though. The first thing I played w/ him with was a long thick, cottony, canvas like strap the came wrapped around a blanket I had bought. I would drag it around & he would chase after it. He was interested in a ribbon, but I was afraid to let him play w/ that. The strap was big & thick enough, that he wouldn't ingest it!  

Yes, I too make sure any toys on strings are put away at bedtime, or if I am not home. I don't want to take any chances. I don't think he would eat them, he doesn't chew on things. but I worry he would get wrapped up in one.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm betting Noodles does!  i don't trust her with strings; so she's never gotten a chance to really play with one.  

Mooch would probably enjoy one.  Maybe someday I'll let them test it out supervised!

My aunt is constantly crocheting.  My cousin's cat lives at my Grandparent's house (the compromise in an allergy situation) and that's where we all spend time together.  Sometimes the cat will sit in her lap while she crochets and leave the yarn alone.  Other times my Aunt has to make her get down or distract her with treats!  Only once have i seen her try to get into the balls of yarn and bat them around.  (It was adorable!! My Aunt did not agree!)  Usually if she wants to play with it; it's the string of yarn between the ball and the hook!

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never tried yarn, but our cats like shoe laces. Part of me doesn't trust the cats to not eat it or get the fibres broken and tangled around their claws and stuff, and part of it is that I've never had a reason to buy or have yarn at home.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
No.. which is a good thing as I'm a chronic knitter!