Glucosamine Chondroitin - Bad knees
Preservision with AREDS2- Macular degeneration
Garlic - Heart health and joint pain
Sodium bicarbonate - Kidney problems
Magnesium - Nighttime leg cramps
D3 - General
Senior adult multivitamin
Krill oil - General

Add to that 11 prescription meds and I'm a walking pharmacy. I get full just taking my meds.
oh my! that's a good sized group of supplements you take!!! :agree:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please be very careful with protein powders. Some of them are full of impurities and some don't contain what they claim. In addition, there are several forms of protein that function differently. Some are absorbed slowly, others quickly. Prices vary dramatically, too.

PM me if you'd like to see what ConsumerLab has to say. They're an independent testing laboratory for supplements. They're highly respected for their reports.
thank you! :) and yes, that's what i've found while looking into protein powder online. :think:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take a multivitamin most days, I sometimes forget. Since I have started going back into the office for work again I drink a meal replacement shake for breakfast on weekdays. It has vitamins and protein in it, it's one called 18shake, I think it is only available online.
a multivitamin most days, and a meal replacement shake for breakfast on weekdays!!! :thumbsup: great!!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mother is a mail carrier. Full time, out in the sun all the time, summer and winter. She doesn't wear sunscreen or long sleeves or a hat, although she does wear long pants (says nobody wants to see her pasty white legs, lol). And the last time she was at the doctor they said her vitamin D levels were dangerously low! I think the sun doesn't work very well this far north.

I'm pretty lax on taking any supplements. I have chewable multivitamin, calcium + D, and turmeric, liquid iron and b-complex, and magnesium tablets. I take them at various times depending how I feel and what mood I'm in. Probably not consistently enough to see any benefit or harm.
i sure hope your mother's vitamin D level is back up into the normal range now! :agree:

ahhh, you take several supplements on an inconsistent basis then!!! :clap: very good!!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's an old saying, "you are what you eat!" I try to get protein, etc. from my choice of food. However, I do have a sweet tooth and admit to indulging on more than one occasion. :wink: I take a daily women's vitamin formulated by a doctor but that's it.

My parents and grandparents cooked wholesome food void of GMO's, hormones, pesticides, etc. because they were relatively non-existent. I don't ever remember seeing them take any supplements.
a daily women's vitamin, formulated by a doctor!!! :thumbsup: most excellent!!

yes!! GMO's, hormones, pesticides, etc definitely have had a negative impact on many people's health -- imo. i'll add highly processed foods, preservatives, artificial coloring/flavoring/sweeteners, and fillers to the list of things not desirable or good for us in many foods/food items these days. and this is my personal opinion, but i believe those things may very well be at least a good part of the reason/cause of IBD/IBS in people these days.

Last edited:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! I take a multi-vitamin, plus extra calcium, magnesium, vitamin C, B-complex, and vitamin D. When I take them regularly I rarely get sick - when I forget for a weekend I almost always catch something.
that sounds like a very nice 'vitamin cocktail' you have there!!! :thumbsup: most excellent!!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't take multivitamins (I have a condition that makes me have inflammatory responses to acids, and it's hard to find one without vitamin c), but I take magnesium, zinc, evening primrose oil (my saving grace for bad periods), and vitamin D. I should start taking iron, but just haven't yet, LOL.

I used to take b-12, but I think it contributes to my acne, so I've stopped for the last few weeks.
an interesting group of supplements!!! :clap: great!! :)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just Cod liver oil pills during the winter. I used to take iron awhile ago, but those made me sick.

My doctors and surgeons have always called multi-vitamins nothing more than "expensive pee" and say not to bother :lol:

I really do my best just simply eating as well as I can (Albeit, like anything else in life, can be far from a perfectly achieved goal sometimes!) as I am pushing 30 now, I might consider taking some calcium in the future. I already enjoy milk and good quality cheese, but not entirely enough at times, and can't hurt to help prevent osteoporosis.
ahhh, cod liver oil during the winter!!! :thumbsup: very nice!!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i sure hope your mother's vitamin D level is back up into the normal range now!
She took the whole bottle of high-dose vitamin D the doctor prescribed, but the doctor didn't call for a follow-up blood test so. . .?

Oh, yeah, I take cod liver oil or fish oil in the winter because my skin gets all dry and cracked. I probably could just eat more fatty fish but ick.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She took the whole bottle of high-dose vitamin D the doctor prescribed, but the doctor didn't call for a follow-up blood test so. . .?

Oh, yeah, I take cod liver oil or fish oil in the winter because my skin gets all dry and cracked. I probably could just eat more fatty fish but ick.
and also cod liver oil or fish oil in the winter!!! :clap: great!!

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
a daily women's vitamin, formulated by a doctor!!! :thumbsup: most excellent!!

yes!! GMO's, hormones, pesticides, etc definitely have had a negative impact on many people's health -- imo. i'll add highly processed foods, preservatives, artificial coloring/flavoring/sweeteners, and fillers to the list of things not desirable or good for us in many foods/food items these days. and this is my personal opinion, but i believe those things may very well be at least a good part of the reason/cause of IBD/IBS in people these days.
That's interesting. I started having IBS-D back in the 80's when they started messing with the diet drinks. I really need to get off the &$#@ diet cokes and the junk food.

Muffy

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's interesting. I started having IBS-D back in the 80's when they started messing with the diet drinks. I really need to get off the &$#@ diet cokes and the junk food.

Muffy
it seems like the more that's added to or changed in foods and beverages, the more......artificial, or preservified they become.

it's taken me many years, but i've gradually moved more and more to cooking and baking from scratch. one of the last things i cut back on was store bought cereals, and soda pop. i still occasionally buy cereal, but only (generic) corn flakes. i think if i decided to start having some pop again, i'd go with a soda stream machine and use some of the sno-cone flavorings (and liquid sucralose) or just powdered kool-aid (and liquid sucralose).

catmom203

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
very nice!!! :clap:
What curcumin is safe and effective for cats? My vet said tumeric might be good. I researched and found curcumin and also that there is a big problem of it not being very bio available. Further research and found pepperdine or tumeric essential oils are added to increase bioavailability. I called my holistic vet and haven't heard back from him to find out if either is safe for cats. Cats shouldn't have essential oils that have ketones or phenols or some other properties in some essential oils. You need to be very careful. What brand do you use? Has it helped? My cat has CKD and 8/2 got an infection and acute pancreatitis. (FPL was an outrageous 50!) I increased his Rx hemp. (trying to get a THC:CBD of 1:1 but no luck yet) and using pulse electromagnetic field therapy as well as lycopene and vitamin C.

Last edited:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What curcumin is safe and effective for cats? My vet said tumeric might be good. I researched and found curcumin and also that there is a big problem of it not being very bio available. Further research and found pepperdine or tumeric essential oils are added to increase bioavailability. I called my holistic vet and haven't heard back from him to find out if either is safe for cats. Cats shouldn't have essential oils that have ketones or phenols or some other properties in some essential oils. You need to be very careful. What brand do you use? Has it helped? My cat has CKD and 8/2 got an infection and acute pancreatitis. (FPL was an outrageous 50!) I increased his Rx hemp. (trying to get a THC:CBD of 1:1 but no luck yet) and using pulse electromagnetic field therapy as well as lycopene and vitamin C.
thank you for all this info! :) however, i'm thinking it may not have been clear to you that this Question of the Day was about supplements for humans, and not for cats.

i'm hoping your cat is feeling better now! :hugs:

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you for all this info! :) however, i'm thinking it may not have been clear to you that this Question of the Day was about supplements for humans, and not for cats.

i'm hoping your cat is feeling better now! :hugs:
I'll see what my semi-retired vet knows. He's the one who turned me on to ConsumerLab.com, which is a very reputable site for evaluation of supplements. You might also check with them. Some of their information is free, but the membership is worth it. They're primarily about human supplements, however.

catmom203

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll see what my semi-retired vet knows. He's the one who turned me on to ConsumerLab.com, which is a very reputable site for evaluation of supplements. You might also check with them. Some of their information is free, but the membership is worth it. They're primarily about human supplements, however.