Question of the Day: Sunday, July 3

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did that for years, but if Mingo isn't around when I need to go out, I don't look for him. He's my door-dasher. Generally, I know they're safe in the house and I don't worry about them. However, I had a plumber here last week, and I've just noticed that a tile in the dropped basement ceiling is askew and near the stairs where a cat could get into it. Just imagine having a cat hiding in a dropped ceiling! Gotta fix it soon!

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I did that for years, but if Mingo isn't around when I need to go out, I don't look for him. He's my door-dasher. Generally, I know they're safe in the house and I don't worry about them. However, I had a plumber here last week, and I've just noticed that a tile in the dropped basement ceiling is askew and near the stairs where a cat could get into it. Just imagine having a cat hiding in a dropped ceiling! Gotta fix it soon!
I’d even duct tape it shut now. Or closet the basement door!!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
My house is too small and I know all their hidey-holes. Very rarely Sundar will dart out the door without me noticing, and I know to check out the window, as he'll be here:
Sundar naughty.jpg

The look says it all: 'you locked me out'!

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
The moment I get home and my cats are not all present to welcome me, I search for them before I even change to my house clothes. It is also the same before I leave for work in the morning. I do a roll call and if any one is "missing", I'd search around the house just to make sure they are all there.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
99% of the time Mooch is in her chair, on the couch or somewhere between them like her food bowl, water or the litter box.

I do go look for her if she isn’t in sight because sometimes that means she doesn’t feel well. And that usually means she’s under my bed. But its not often. She’s pretty predictable and likes to be with us.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
My house is too small and I know all their hidey-holes. Very rarely Sundar will dart out the door without me noticing, and I know to check out the window, as he'll be here:
View attachment 425116
The look says it all: 'you locked me out'!
He is so gorgeous!!!! I love your patio and garden...so peaceful💖

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I do. I like to know where they are before we both leave the house. There are a couple places I know they hang out, so it's usually pretty easy to find them. Back in 2005 we adopted two kitties (our first kitties. Sadly, both are gone now). One was a young male Tuxie, Swanie, who I absolutely fell in love with at the rescue. Early on we initiated a protocol where we only come and go through the garage, making sure the garage door is closed before we open the kitchen door. On this particular day, shortly after we got them, we came home from somewhere, closed the garage door and went in he house. Cindy was there, but Swanie was nowhere to be found. I looked everywhere, rattled the treat bag in every room (he was very treat oriented and usually came running) but no Swanie anywhere. I was getting really frantic. I said to hubby, you don't think he got in the garage, do you? Hubby said no he couldn't have. I decided to check the garage anyway, and there he was! I was so happy to see him, and he was so happy to see me. I was worried he might have gotten into something bad in the garage, like maybe some antifreeze came out of the car, so I was rubbing him all over. He thought he was just being petted and was loving it. Then I tried to get him to go upstairs, and he wasn't coming, and he started kind of staggering a bit, so I panicked all over again thinking oh no he did get into something! Long story short, he was afraid to go upstairs because Cindy was up there! They actually ended up becoming the best of friends. I miss those two so much.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 425089
He also blends into the couch lol

Oh my goodness what a great little jelly belly :redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump: Sooooo cute!

---

Morgana has a tendency to "disappear" in unique sleeping spots - One time I was up until 2 am looking for her all over the house. Long story short, she had slithered underneath a floorboard to sleep nearby a warm pipe 🤦‍♀️ Happy she was safe but goodness the period of me having a meltdown before the fact lol suffice to say floorboard is secured now. Alongside that she has tucked herself away in the oven, closets, crawl spaces and the like. (Disclaimer: Because of her little oven habit do feel reassured that I adamantly check it all the time)

She is deaf too, so it's not like I can call out to her :lol:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really search for them unless I haven't seen them in awhile and they don't respond to me calling them, well that pertains to Remy and Flora. For Maisie, if she doesn't appear at meal times, I will search for her because she is the only cat who hovers until she's fed. Remy and Flora both got trapped in one of my basement rooms and I hadn't seen them in over a day, so I went searching and found them trapped.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Whether a cat or dog I never leave the house without checking where an animal is and I do the same when I return home. Every now and then they surprise me and I can't find one of them but most of the time I know their favorite hiding or sleeping spots.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only time I do a head count is when someone leaves a door open that they shouldn't have. They are indoor and have no interest in going outside, so they are usually on my bed or under my feet. So unless someone leaves a cabinet open or the laundry room door (which leads to a room with dangerous indoor plants) I only look for them before I lock the doors up to keep them in the main house.