Question of the Day: Sunday, July 24

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:sunshine:Sorry I'm late but this heat seems to be upsetting everybody and my trip to a corona-test centre followed by a visit to a hospital patient, took far longer than usual. I'm feeling rather irritable - but that's enough about that! I now need something to laugh about! :lol:

While preparing a quick (but delicious) lunch today, in my hurry, I grabbed what I thought was the salt grinder to season the tomatoes, tuna, penne and rocket - but it was the vanille grinder! Fortunately I immediately realised my mistake and lunch wasn't ruined.

Although I cannot imagine anybody mistakenly using salt instead of sugar in a cake, evidently stranger things have happened.

Has anybody got any funny examples of such mistakes and the results? Can you eat even a mouthful of cake made with a cup of salt rather than a cup of sugar? What do vanille-flavored tomatoes taste like?

:please:Please share any funny stories! I need a laugh!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have been fortunate and haven't done it but I seen it done on one of Gordon Ramsey's contest shows. It's the one with him and two other judges. The guy used salt instead of sugar in his cake. Ramsey isn't the yelling screaming fool on that show. He took one bite then went back to talk to the other judges before announcing who was eliminated. The guy didn't realize what he had done until he was told. The judges were understanding and said it was something they had all done at some time but the guy was eliminated.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In high school for one of my classes, I had to make a meal from a certain country. My country was Morocco and I made something that needed plain yogurt. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that plain yogurt was not the same as vanilla yogurt. It didn't taste bad in the long wrong, but it definitely wasn't right.

For Christmas one year my mom made cheesecake but she forgot the sugar, we were basically eating just cream cheese. My brother and I added sugar on top of the cheesecake and it tasted a little more normal, but again, wasn't the same.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom told us the story of the first time she made dinner for the in-laws...
She made a nice stew with dumplings but made a mistake of using baking soda instead of baking powder and put too much in as well. It tasted awful, but everyone ate it anyway to be polite. But the funniest part was as the meal was moving along...everyone started burping up a storm.
Poor momma... :lol:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Grandma was the best cook known to man in my family's opinion; but even she did that kind of thing a time or two. I'm not sure what the dish was called; but it had rice, ground meat and some kind of orange/tomato base and it came out way more peppery than expected. I had a friend with me for dinner that night and while the adults were ok; she sent my Grandpa to McDonalds for Happy Meals for my friend and I. :lol:

I remember goofing once on a cake recipe and my mom added a box of pudding powder to help fix it. I think I added too much liquid or something like that. It was for a bake sale too! :lol: My kids used salt trying to make lemonade once. Live and learn! ;)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I've been known to use expired ingredients when baking a few times. It wasn't intentional but once I started mixing some of the ingredients it was too late to turn back. :dunno: Another time I accidentally grabbed the chili powder instead of the cinnamon.:oops:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I made a huge salad with romaine and a ton of fresh veggies but forgot to wash the lettuce. There were chunks of soil and pebbles. We (in-laws) were laughing soo hard.🥗

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Don’t know if this counts but I braked SO hard once for a scarlet tanager the key lime pie I’d brought to a friend‘s dinner all swooped to one side of the plate. (Still tasted OK).

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I just woke up one weekend and as per routine I made myself a cup of coffee.

But instead from a kettle I absent-mindedly put water from the fridge.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You made me remember a day when my mom had been quite distraught. Life had been especially difficult for the two of us around that time. Although she had been upset, she decided to make it a great morning for us both. She was going to make us pancakes, which was quite a treat at the time. I assisted in the kitchen but could tell her mind was still on her troubles. Finally the pancakes were ready and on the plate. Yet, she still wasn’t smiling. I watched as she poured syrup on her pancakes. But wait! The syrup fizzed! A bubbly foam gathered on the stack! :jawdrop: We watched, stunned. Then it hit us both what had happened and we burst into laughter. Lesson? Never pour Coca Cola on pancakes. Mom topped it with some butter and sat down to try them! The pancakes were not great but the day was. I still think of her every time I eat a pancake and I smile.:hugs:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Cooking pro tip: Make sure the lid is firmly on your blender before you hit the 'on' button. :lol: I was trying to make coconut milk in my Vitamix. I can tell you, I was cleaning up bits of coconut around my kitchen for days.

IMG_4413.jpeg

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I try to be healthy and incorporate things like turmeric, which I don't particularly like, into my foods.

One thing that covers up the taste of turmeric is dairy so I usually sprinkle a little in eggs. One day I was making scrambled eggs and I grabbed the cinnamon by mistake. I really didn't want to start from scratch so I scooped out as much as I could and figured, well, it can't be that bad.

It was. It was beyond bad.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The first time I've ever told this terrible story. My SIL's dad was coming to visit from New Orleans. She said I made the best red velvet cake she'd ever tasted and asked me to make one for their special family get together. I went to work on the cake, which is quite complicated. The cake calls for all purpose flour and the icing has a pinch of self-rising flour. I tried to be so careful to bake a perfect cake, but of course I got the flours mixed up. I noticed the cake looked wrong as soon as I took it out of the oven. I tasted a bit and it was disgusting! An epic fail and I was too tired to make another one.

My SIL never said anything and neither did I. :paperbag:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
So many things..
The latest was probably when I had people for lunch whom I didn't know very well. I put a lovely big dollop of strawberry yoghurt on their pumpkin soup before realising it wasn't the plain variety.