Question of the Day, Sunday, January, 3, 2016

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'll make today's Question of the Day one that i can get posted quickly -- before little DeeDee (aka, Tadpole) creates more interesting situations on my computer using the keyboard! meanwhile our little Alison (aka, Nugget) is well into a nap on the cat tree.

so for Today's Question of the Day.........

How did your cat(s) come to join you/your family?    (can be as simple or as detailed of an answer as you'd like)

i'll start!

my mickey and little snick were from a litter of kittens from a family that lived up the street. i was only going to adopt one kitten, but mickey knew he belonged with me too so insisted that he be adopted too! mickey was right, and my 'mini' was (and continues to be) the great love of my life -- my kitty 'soul mate'. my darling little snick was very very dear to me, my pretty and petite princess. both mickey and snick brought so much love and joy to my life, the life we shared together for many years.

these two new little 'spitfires' joined us (jaspurr and i), partly to (with time and careful integration) become companions for our jaspurr. and partly because i've always known that my mickey and snick would want for other cat(s) waiting for their furever home to be able to have the good home and love and caring that they enjoyed for so many years -- their legacy. i did a lot of looking and carefully selected deedee as a very good match for our jaspurr, for several reasons. little deedee is all black except for two little white spots -- one on her upper chest, and the other is a little bikini bottom shape on her lower tummy. our little allie just simply was 'meant to be', meant to join our family. she and deedee knew each other, were cared for by the same foster. allie just happened to be picked up from the vet's by their foster -- where she'd been brought in to comfort her litter mate sister. allie is a lovely mackerel tabby, who is also polydactyl on her front paws. both girls are very sweet and loving; they love to snuggle both people and cats! they're both just a handful of days over 4 1/2 months old now.

okay, now it's your turn!

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two boys, Keeker and Kricket, now 20 months old. They came into my home a week apart - both unexpectedly! 

Let me first explain the origin of Keeker's name and how he came to be mine.

Before I was ever born, my Mom had a beautiful black Persian. My brother, who was 2 yrs old at the time and just learning to talk couldn't quite say the word 'kitty', so it came out as kee-ker, and that ultimately became his (the cat's) name. Unfortunately, he (Keeker) went to Rainbow Bridge. But when I was about 7 months old, Mom got another black Persian and he was named Keeker II. I grew up with him and, even though he was "Mom's cat", everyone knew he was really mine, LOL. I wouldn't go to bed until he was snuggled in with me and he lived to be 19 years old before he left us, simply of old age, in 1976.

Years later, my sister got a cat. He was a black DSH and he became Keeker III - go figure!  At age 11, he died of cancer and went to Rainbow Bridge. 

Two years ago, I was living with a roommate who owned a yellow Lab/Chow mix. While I don't dislike dogs, I am just not a dog 'lover'. However, Squeek (the dog) grew on me and I 'tolerated' him well! But as time went on, my roommate realized I was a pure cat lover because I was always commenting on the neighbors cats who roamed freely, and talked incessantly about all my past cats.

One day in June (Friday the 13th! That explains a lot!) I was sitting on the front porch when my roommate came home from work and I watched curiously as he walked toward me with his hands behind his back and a snarky grin on his face. He stepped onto the porch and said, "Close your eyes and hold out your hands". A little bit wary, I cautiously did as he asked and suddenly my eyes sprang open and, to my utter amazement, I was looking at a tiny little 6 week old ball of black fur that barely filled my cupped palms!

As my eyes filled with tears, I cried, "Keeker!" (He is now Keeker IV)

I  ran to the store and purchased kitten food, bowls, litter and a box, and a handful of toys! He was vetted the next morning and was given a good bill of health!

One week to the day later, Kricket joined us! (I'll tell you about that in a few minutes).

Keeker was born 'by accident' in my roommates bosses' garage and all his littermates were re-homed. I soon found out that because he was the only one left, and nobody wanted him, he was going to be killed! It seems my roommate had a soft spot for kittens even though his boss didn't! The little fuzz ball acclimated well to his new home and actually dominated  the dog - climbing on his back, pushing him aside to drink from the dog bowl, batting his big bone and trying to carry it off, chewing his tail, and taking up residence in the dog's corner of the couch! The 'alpha dog' was quickly replaced by the 'alpha kitten'!

Exactly one week later, a co-worker saw the picture I had of Keeker hanging in my cubicle at work and asked if I wanted another kitten. I immediately said, No way! 

He showed me a picture and I immediately fell in love! I said he looked so much like a Maine Coon and he said, "Yea, I think that's what my Mom calls them".  *sigh* His Mom actually raised & bred Maine Coons, but I knew I couldn't afford him. Later that afternoon, I learned from another co-worker that Blake's Mom was in Hospice and could no longer care for the kitten(s) and that he 'hated' cats. He was needing to re-home him (his brother and two sisters were already taken) or he would be going to the local shelter in the morning. No way was I going to let that happen because our local shelter was not a no-kill shelter!   Needless to say, when I got off work that night at 11:00 P.M., I drove 40 miles to pick the little guy up! He rode on my shoulder in the car all the way home, purring his butt off and nuzzling my neck! Thank goodness it was a Friday night because I was up until almost 5:00 A.M. with him and his 'brother' Keeker. They took to each other like they were Siamese twins! 

When I walked into the vet's office just before noon the next morning, the receptionist said, "Weren't you just here last week? Is something wrong?" I chuckled and explained that I had a 'new patient'. She asked how old he was and when I told her she said, That's Keeker's birth date. I called my co-worker to verify when he was born and, yup,  they were both born on the exact same day,  April 22, 2014!  Different breeds, different histories, but truly brother's in spirit and born on the same exact day! Also, as different as day and night when it comes to personality and behavior!

Keeker is high-spirited, aloof, arrogant, independent, sassy, and dominant! Kricket is laid back, casual, overly affectionate, demure, friendly and social - but he can hold his own with his brother! The first night Kricket came home, he was shy and a bit cautious and stayed to himself. The next morning, I found Kricket up on the table and Keeker was on a chair reaching up and batting at Kricket. Kricket tried to ignore him as much as possible, but Keeker wasn't backing down. Finally he jumped onto the table and swiped at Kricket and, to my surprise, Kricket spun around and slapped Keeker upside his head, knocking him right off the table!  Keeker looked up at his new brother, and then at me with a look like, "Mom! You need to do something about that"!  I just told him he was on his own and he was going to get what he dished out! 

They have spent every day since then in a love/hate relationship! One minute they are chasing each other and rolling around locked in each other's arms like they are out for blood, and five minutes later, they are curled up grooming each other until they fall asleep together! They have chosen to share their food and water dishes, as well as only one litter box. They trade toys and play well together. My two little 'throw aways' are completely spoiled rotten and they are the center of my heart.

This is a collage of them, then and now:

View media item 320360
View media item 304477

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
When I lost my Pal just before Christmas 2010 I was desperate to adopt another cat but wanted a kitten as Pal and Snowleopard were with me well in to their pensioner years.  Trouble was the only younger cats at shelters here were only allowed to go to homes with access to a garden (which I don't have), and kittens for sale on the internet all sounded like such dodgy stories and probably all back yard breeding situations.  I didn't feel I could wait not knowing when I would have another cat in my life so contacted breeders to see if any had, or were expecting, kittens.  I'd decided on Russian Blue because they are usually happy as in door only and if only 1 cat in the home.   The only kitten even anticipated was with Mouse's mum.   I was in a line of potential adopters but those ahead of me only wanted more than one kitten and when his mom gave birth Mouse was the only kitten - so I had first option on him.   I had only ever lived with female cats but figured Mouse being male was no reason to delay bringing another cat in to my life so I went to meet him as soon as I could.   Never looked back.  
    He will be 5 this February yet it only seems like yesterday he was a chubby little kitten.

@mickNsnicks2mom    I am made up for you that you have brought 2 new kittens in to Jaspurr's and your life!  

How is Jaspurr taking to the young rascalls?   And yes, photos too, though perhaps in a special thread just for them.  

Last edited:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a lot of stories, lol.

This first story starts off pretty bluntly. It was July of 1999. With Lucky
someone had tied a wire around his neck, tied the other end to the rear axle of a stranger's car, and he was dragged for who knows how long. The car was at a stop light on Logan Blvd in Chicago when my father was walking the dog. Was sheer luck that he saw this tiny black and white kitten, all battered from being dragged. He alerted the driver, who stopped his car's engine. My father cut this kitten loose, took him to the vet, then called my mom to ask what he should do with it. Mom of course said to have him neutered and bring him home. We named him Lucky because, well, obvious reasons. So, that's how we got my little old man that spent the next 16 years and 4 months of his life in our home.

With Maple, it was March of 2002. My friend up in Toronto sent me an email shortly after my birthday, apologizing for not saying happy birthday to me. Her cat had a litter of kittens on my birthday, a bunch of little black kittens. I LOVED black cats! She asked me if I wanted one, knowing that I loved black cats and well, she was born on my 25th birthday. I of course wanted her! So she was spayed up there, and then in June my friend flew down to Chicago with a little black kitten. We named her Maple to pay homage to her home country.

With Sara, it was sometime in 2006. I was having a lot of health problems around that time, so the months kinda blurred together between 2006-2008. Anyway, a coworker of mine had adopted a 4-year-old female kitty to keep her male kitty company while she was not home (both were fixed). Her name was Sara. She apparently was good at sneaking out of the apartment, not sure how she did it during the day exactly. Anyway, a couple of times, she snuck into another tenant's apartment and peed on things. That tenant complained, and she was told she had so many days to get rid of her. She was going to throw Sara in the woods. This was a tiny, completely-declawed kitty. She never would have made it. I don't know if she really would have done that, but we said we'd take her. It was originally supposed to be a foster-type situation, and her sister was going to take her a few weeks later. Well, weeks and eventually months went by. Never heard anything more about it. We got to the point where we decided we wouldn't give her up regardless of whether we heard back (which we didn't).

*For about seven years, since our Ali Cat died in 2008, it was just the three kitties above. We shook things up a bit in 2015*

In July of last year, a friend re-posted a picture of some black and white kitties on Facebook. I happened to see it, and said how much I wish I hadn't seen it. They reminded me soooo much of Lucky! A bunch of fuzzy little black and white Luckys! A mama cat and her five babies were found at Botanic Garden by a couple of the coworkers. They brought the whole brood in and kept them safe and comfortable until they were weaned. They weaned a bit sooner than they probably should because mama wasn't doing so well, she had a really bad URI. They estimated they were about 6 weeks at that point. They found homes with people they knew would take care of the kitties for two of them. Two weeks later, there were still three kittens, and the mama. The day after I saw the picture, I decided to go check out the babies. By the time I got there, someone had adopted one of them, and so there were two left. There was NO WAY I could leave one behind. I wanted to take them to the vet first through, so the lady (whose reposted picture I saw) took them home with her that day, along with the mama. I picked the babies up on Tuesday, which was the soonest I could get an appt. Funny by two story - I made the appt before I ever even visited them that Saturday. I knew they would both be mine. So that Tuesday, on July 14th, I picked them up, took them to the vet and brought them home! They eventually became Oliver and Oscar, but they started their lives with us as Tweedledee and Tweedledum :) By that point they were 8 weeks old. And just for anyone wondering, the lady had the mama fixed and vaxxed and her URI addressed, among other things (like worms). She is now happily living on a farm.

Last but not least, we have Penelopy. After Lucky passed away, I was desperate to fill a hole in my heart, which I tried to do by honoring his memory. I was donating to shelters but it wasn't quite filling whatever need it was that I had. While looking up the shelters, I of course was looking at the kitties they had. There were SO many kitties needing homes, in so many locations. I realized the best way I could honor his memory was to give another kitty a forever home. I remember going to Orphans of the Storm, who had over 300 cats. That was a bit overwhelming. But then I eventually saw a picture of Penelopy at another shelter, and my heart was stolen. This beautiful black kitty, guesstimated by the vet to be about 3 years old. She's been with us a little over a month now, and has definitely made herself quite at home here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I didn't know you got two new babies!  Do you have pictures yet? I'd love to see them. 

Here is my story of "how Angel adopted me."  I'm sure by now, many have read it, back when I originally posted it in the cat pages, but for the newbies, & those who haven't, here is the link!  

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-angel-adopted-me-our-story 
i just adopted and brought our new little ones home yesterday. i so wanted to start a thread last night, but my eyes were trying to close by mid-evening so that wasn't going to happen.

i don't have pictures yet. yesterday late afternoon and evening i was concentrating on settling the girls in; they'd had a lot of changes yesterday. and i was making sure our jaspurr was doing okay with all of this too. today after jaspurr and then our girls had their breakfasts, i scooped jaspurr's litter box and then while i scooped the girls litter box i let them start exploring the living room and play with a bunch of cat toys. the girls have been playing and exploring there since then -- and they've both been snuggling with their new mommy 

i might be able to get some pics tomorrow, after the new wood stove gets put in -- depending on when that happens and how long it takes. i'm thinking to try taking pics of the girls while they're napping, because when they're awake they're generally 'on the move'!

i absolutely love your story of how your Angel adopted you! 

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds great, I can't wait to see them, whenever you get around to it. :)

Thanks! I'm glad you liked my story!

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I've already told the story of how I adopted Chula and Paul after seeing a post here on TCS so will tell the story of how I adopted Wesley and Lucy many years ago.

I took my daughters to the kill shelter so we could pick out two cats after our beloved Poppy passed away. We inquired after three or four and each already had someone who had applied to adopt them. So we put our heads together and decided to ask to see the two cats who had been there the longest and were in most danger of being PTS. The volunteer first showed us Wesley who was so scared he wouldn't come out of his cage. Next she showed us Lucy who was so frightened she immediately scratched one of my daughters. Wesley was a stray and Lucy had been surrendered because she had "poss box probs.". We took a leap of faith and adopted both of them.

Wesley turned out to be my soul cat, wonderfully smart and affectionate who would carry on conversations with me. Lucy turned out to be a cuddly girl who never scratched again, although the box issues did require addressing.

Never have I been so rewarded by taking a leap of faith!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Merlin came to me from a neighbor who got him and his sister from a friend. Merlin passed away 12 short years later from illness.

A year after Merlin's passing I was ready for another cat. I wasn't completely pet-less. I did have gerbils at the time but it just wasn't the same as having a cat. I knew I wanted to adopt so I spent a lot of time looking at the local shelters' and rescues' web sites and visiting the SPCA shelter. But none of the cats seemed right. So I kept looking. Someone on the FDMB board (I was still posting there despite no longer having a diabetic cat) mentioned Abys. I can't recall if she suggested that I look at the breed or what but I started looking into Aby breeder web sites. I wasn't really interested in buying a purebred. Then I stumbled upon a breeder's web site and just knew that one of the Aby kittens was meant for me. I contacted the breeder just to inquire about thekittens. She just had a new litter born if I wanted to reserve a pair. After thinking about it some more, I reserved two kittens and sent in a deposit. The breeder sent me some picures of the kittens around 4 weeks old and again when the kittens were around 8 weeks old. Unfortunately one of the kittens developed erosive esophagitis and the breeder said that she would take responsibility over any future care the kitten may need and returned half of the the deposit since I would only be getting one kitten. We made the arrangements for the kitten to be hand delivered to me at the airport (the breeder has a friend who personally transports kittens across the country) and final payment. The date of arrival was exactly one year after Merlin had passed away. I thought it was just coincidence. The kitten would be 3 months when he arrived. So on the arrival date the plane had to make an unscheduled stop somewhere for "maintenance issues" and arrived 3 hours late. The breeder's friend was more than happy to hand the kitten over (he apparently was non stop vocal during the entire trip and drove the other passengers nuts). By the time I got my kitten home (and yes, the kitten was very vocal the entire way) and safely (he managed to claw a hole in the mesh part of the soft sided carrier and poke his head out
. The carrier had only been used twice before), it was not only one year exactly after Merlin's passing but almost exactly at the same time he passed away
Seriously, I think Merlin did have a paw in sending me a kitten on his one year Bridge date.

Three months later I was looking for another kitten to keep up with Leroy's zoomies. It was back to looking at the local shelters and rescues. I remembered a rescue having a "meet and greet" at a local pet store on Saturdays so I contacted them and described what I was looking for. The person said there several possible matches and invited me to stop by the pet store that Saturday to meet the cats. I went to take a look. None seem quite right but the lady insisted that a long haired tuxedo would be perfect to keep up with Leroy. I was hesistant at first. I had visions of poop cling ons and massive hairballs to deal with. The cat was about the same age as Leroy and seemed shy even when I held her. The lady didn't have much background on the cat other than she was dumped at the shelter because the former owners wanted the cat to be outdoors only so they wouldn't have to deal with a litter box (really???) and that in the foster home the tuxedo loves to reach a paw out and grab you as you walk by to get attention. The lady said I could take the tuxedo home to "try out" for a week. So I did. Five years later I still have the tuxedo cat

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Shadow was very much a planned addition. Two of the cats I grew up with were British Shorthairs - bought around my 6th birthday to make up for the fact that our stray (Willow, female white DSH) was incredibly touchy and prone to scratching when petted. After they passed, mum really wanted another pair of BSH boys. Shadow and Cali :rbheart: (officially called Carbonel and Calidor) were the only boys on their litter, so home they came. That was 13 years ago. Cali passed in April of 2014 from CHF, but Shadow's still going strong!

Shad seemed to be enjoying life as an only cat, so we had no plans to get another. Then the owner of the farm where I keep my Exmoor pony asked us to trap and rehome a semi feral which had started hanging around. Whilst I was working with her (trying to trap her with just a cat carrier), I suddenly heard meowing coming from the other direction. I looked round, and a little black head was peering out of the cellar under the grain dryer! This is the beginning of Asha's story [thread="293484"]​[/thread].

She's fitted in wonderfully, is my true soul mate cat and, best of all, she and Shadow get on really well. She's brought out his inner kitten, and he clearly loves having her around :D

'My' semi feral Pushkin is simply the farm cat. We've no idea how old she is, except that she's elderly now. She fell in love with my pony, and once we realised she wasn't being cared for, we started feeding her etc. I view her as mine because nobody else bothers (they mostly complain :rolleyes: ), and we essentially have responsibility for her.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
awwww! that's a beautiful story!!! 
  and i love the collage you made; it's lovely!

i love the origins of your Keeker's name! i'm not particularly a believer in fate or similar concepts, but it sure does sound to me like your two boys were meant to be together and with you! they're gorgeous boys! 

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

awwww! that's a beautiful story!!! 
  and i love the collage you made; it's lovely!

i love the origins of your Keeker's name! i'm not particularly a believer in fate or similar concepts, but it sure does sound to me like your two boys were meant to be together and with you! they're gorgeous boys! 
Thanks Margd!

At that particular time, I was surely NOT thinking about getting  a cat - much less two cats! I was looking at apartments at the time and now I had to find one that accepted pets. The first 4 I looked at told me I could only have ONE cat - no questions asked. I eventually found the place we now live and it did cost me a double pet deposit, but well worth it! We love it here and my Boys are the rulers of their own empire. No roommate, no dog - Just a Momma who loves them with all her heart!

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks Margd!
At that particular time, I was surely NOT thinking about getting  a cat - much less two cats! I was looking at apartments at the time and now I had to find one that accepted pets. The first 4 I looked at told me I could only have ONE cat - no questions asked. I eventually found the place we now live and it did cost me a double pet deposit, but well worth it! We love it here and my Boys are the rulers of their own empire. No roommate, no dog - Just a Momma who loves them with all her heart!
I'd love to take credit for this comment but it was actually made by micknsnicks2mom micknsnicks2mom . But I agree with her, it is a lovely story. And I love the photos of Keeker and Kricket.
[emoji]128149[/emoji]

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Never went looking for any of mine.  They found me first and decided to keep me.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

When I lost my Pal just before Christmas 2010 I was desperate to adopt another cat but wanted a kitten as Pal and Snowleopard were with me well in to their pensioner years.  Trouble was the only younger cats at shelters here were only allowed to go to homes with access to a garden (which I don't have), and kittens for sale on the internet all sounded like such dodgy stories and probably all back yard breeding situations.  I didn't feel I could wait not knowing when I would have another cat in my life so contacted breeders to see if any had, or were expecting, kittens.  I'd decided on Russian Blue because they are usually happy as in door only and if only 1 cat in the home.   The only kitten even anticipated was with Mouse's mum.   I was in a line of potential adopters but those ahead of me only wanted more than one kitten and when his mom gave birth Mouse was the only kitten - so I had first option on him.   I had only ever lived with female cats but figured Mouse being male was no reason to delay bringing another cat in to my life so I went to meet him as soon as I could.   Never looked back.  
    He will be 5 this February yet it only seems like yesterday he was a chubby little kitten.

@mickNsnicks2mom    I am made up for you that you have brought 2 new kittens in to Jaspurr's and your life!  

How is Jaspurr taking to the young rascalls?   And yes, photos too, though perhaps in a special thread just for them.  

that's a wonderful story!

your Mouse is truly a great cat! i love seeing pictures of him; he always looks so very happy and like he's having fun! 

thank you! i'd say our jaspurr is quite curious about his new little girls, but limits how much he's watching them (through a screen door i installed in the doorway between the kitchen and living room) for the moment. i think he watches the girls for a short while, and then needs some time to absorb what he's seen and to regroup and feel ready to watch his girls a little more. jaspurr isn't hissing at all, only one short growl, and only just the beginnings of a puffy tail a couple times yesterday. this evening i've given jaspurr and his girls their usual snack, and put the girls into their 'little girl kitty apartment' (aka, the XL large dog crate, complete with shelf/loft space and corner cat hammock) for the night, so our jaspurr will have some time (as he feels he wants to) to enjoy the living room with me, look out the windows here, and settle in to some of his favorite spots and hopefully snuggle in bed with me during the overnight. i seriously doubt that jaspurr will feel comfortable enough at this point, to walk up to take an up close look at deedee and allie. jaspurr and the girls will have a 'before bedtime snack' a little later. jaspurr is a very sweet and sensitive boy, who would only ever fight if he were attacked and defending himself. in any event, my bed is right alongside the girl's kitty apartment, no more than 4 feet away -- and i'm a very light sleeper.

we've done scent exchanging starting yesterday, and none of the cats have had any upset from that. jaspurr has seen and watched the girls; and deedee and allie have seen jaspurr several times or more looking through the screen door.

i'll get the rechargeable batteries charging before i go to bed tonight. so i'll have the camera ready to take pictures tomorrow.

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd love to take credit for this comment but it was actually made by @mickNsnicks2mom. But I agree with her, it is a lovely story. And I love the photos of Keeker and Kricket.
[emoji]128149[/emoji]
My apologies and Thank you to micknsnicks2mom! I'm getting old and, well... at least both names started with 'M'! LOL  I wasn't tooo far off! 

And, like everyone else, can't wait to see pics of the new babies! 

Last edited:

laura h

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

My friend's neighbors were going to drown the entire litter when mama had her babies as they didn't want more cats. I couldn't let them do that. So after they were born, I got them to keep the kittens the 6 weeks with their mommy, going over every day (on foot in sub-zero temps) to check on them all. Meanwhile I was busy finding homes. By 6 weeks I had found homes for all 5 kittens in the litter including my Comet (he was the cutest 

4 Friends got new kittens and I got one too. It was only a few weeks after losing my Paisley girl so Comet was kind of my comfort for a while. Now he's become my emotional support companion for my PTSD and anxiety. I guess Comet and I kind of rescued each other. 

And yes, I assured that they got mama cat spayed so no more babies. I can't believe they were going to DROWN the kittens. I shudder at the thought.

I still cry when I think back to this. 

i can't put into words how much I love my baby boy and what he's done for me. Comet is the best thing that ever happened to me. 

Geez guys, you're making me cry here!

Last edited:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love reading all of these stories. Some, I remember (particularly Angel's story), others are new and all are wonderful.

We got Casper first. My BF and I had been talking about getting a cat. In that time period, a close friend of mine was having a lot of personal problems and, was debating if rehoming his adult cat would give him a much more stable home. Casper was an indoor/outdoor cat then, and my friend was living in another state than where his house was located. He'd come home weekends, and neighbors kept an eye on Casper during the week. This was obviously less than ideal, and my friend worried constantly about Casper's well-being. FYI, this us why I try not to judge people who need to rehome a pet; many are indeed well loved but life has a way of screwing you sometimes. To his credit, he did not just give Casper away randomly; he wanted to be certain that his next home was a forever one.

After way more than half a year, my friend finally realized that my BF and I could offer Casper a great home. And so, one night he brought him over, 9-1/2 years old, with his favorite blankie and food. He carried him in, and within mere minutes Casper had made himself totally at home. He's just so well socialized and friendly that we didn't have to make any adjustments.

A couple of years went by, and we decided to add to the family. After a few false starts, we adopted Cocoabean, a long haired tortie about 3-5 years old. While it was a difficult start with her due to her being a rescue and clearly having suffered some degree of neglect and trauma (she literally lived under our guest room bed for a month, hissing at us the first two weeks), with our patience and care she blossomed bit by bit into the most lovey cat. She's a gorgeous tortie who is now in a book about tortoiseshell cats, and has all the attitude to match, but without the he initial crankiness lol.

Her and Casper get along very well, it took a little while but there was never any aggression between them. He's now a senior at 14-1/2 and sometimes she's a bit much for him but they still play fight, groom each other and like to be near each other.

They really are very different from each other, but make a nice pair. The amount of happiness they bring to us is infinite.

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
19 of my cats were feral to start with. Some of them were just a few months old when they started coming to my house for food. Others, like the silver boy in my avatar, were much older. Toby and Little Boy were both dumped outside my house when they were small. I guess people saw that there were a lot of cats about and thought it would be a good place to leave their unwanted kittens. They didn't think about how dangerous it would be for them. Little Boy had a terrible eye infection and almost went blind. The vet managed to save one eye and he does just fine with that.

Forest was dumped in the woods, miles away from anywhere. He was so skinny when I found him and had lots of digestive problems, but he's fully recovered now. Why people think a pedigree cat that has never been outside before will be able to survive on his own I don't know. It's like sending a child out into the woods with a pen knife and a box of matches and expecting him to be OK.

Forest's picture was voted Picture of The Month in December so HA! Take that cat dumpers!

My latest addition, Finn, was probably dumped too. I found him running around with the TNR'd cats I feed, but he was way too friendly to be feral. Here's Finn with Little Boy.