Question of the Day: Sunday, February 5

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if my mom considers herself a dog or cat person, but I do know my dad is a dog person. We had dogs, cats, birds, and a guinea pig growing up though. I used to consider myself a dog person until I got my late cat (also my soul mate cat), Willie, then I became a hardcore cat lady. My brother and sister are also more cat people than dog people, although they both have dogs too (as do I). My dad's side of the family is full of almost all dog people.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My mother was always a cat person. For a few years, my dad had tried to pretend that he wasn't. When I was in first grade, I was walking home from school when I saw an unfamiliar car driving on my street, slowed down and threw a cat out the window and drove off. Well, that kitty "followed me home", but my mom said that we couldn't keep the cat because my dad didn't like cats. Well, an hour after I got home from school, my dad got home from work. Cat had been at the foot of the driveway this whole time. Dad parked, and this was in November--he picked the cat up, put her under his overcoat and brought her into the house (busted! no more pretending not to like cats for dad). They have a Great Dane and a cat now.

I am solidly in the cat person category. My oldest son is allergic, so he doesn't have any--he will medicate and I will clean the spare room and keep the door shut so the cats don't go in there when he is coming to visit. Middle son is a cat-and-dog person (he has three cats and one dog). My youngest two (twins) each have a cat.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
My mother was always a cat person. For a few years, my dad had tried to pretend that he wasn't. When I was in first grade, I was walking home from school when I saw an unfamiliar car driving on my street, slowed down and threw a cat out the window and drove off. Well, that kitty "followed me home", but my mom said that we couldn't keep the cat because my dad didn't like cats. Well, an hour after I got home from school, my dad got home from work. Cat had been at the foot of the driveway this whole time. Dad parked, and this was in November--he picked the cat up, put her under his overcoat and brought her into the house (busted! no more pretending not to like cats for dad). They have a Great Dane and a cat now.

I am solidly in the cat person category. My oldest son is allergic, so he doesn't have any--he will medicate and I will clean the spare room and keep the door shut so the cats don't go in there when he is coming to visit. Middle son is a cat-and-dog person (he has three cats and one dog). My youngest two (twins) each have a cat.
What a wonderful tale! I wonder why some people resist their love of cats. Just give in!! 😃

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My family have always had and loved cats - my mother grew up with two, and my grandfather grew up with various cats when he was a child. I have a photo of my grandfather with my great grandfather's cat from the 1920s when my grandfather was a young child. My cousins all have cats of their own too.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It does not run in the family. I have loved cats all of my life but could never have one because my mother doesn't like them. Her reason? They are "sneaky". Even as a very young child I thought that was one of the dumbest things I ever heard. My DH was allergic. I didn't get cats of my own until after he passed. He liked cats and every cat he ever encountered adored him, we just couldn't have one because of his allergies.

Arya Underfoot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think my love of cats came from watching cartoons, the cats were always my favourite. My Dad hated cats but Mum once took in a stray cat, she was with us for 16 years but she was an outdoor cat and very wary of humans. My Nan had 4 cats in her later years, so maybe my crazy cat love comes from her because I want a 4th cat too!

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Mom was an animal lover in general but seems like we always had a few cats and dogs as well.Dad wasn't a real fan of cats,although he tolerated them just fine...his coon hounds and rabbit beagle were his thing.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
This question reminds me of the opening scene from a great play, called You Can’t Take it With You. A woman is busily typing something, with kittens on the table. At the end of every page, she lifts a kitten, puts the typed page down, and places the kitten on top…. Just that, they’re always there.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe? :dunno:

My moms mom and I were very close except for the fact that she did NOT like cats! (Hard to admit that about my beloved Grandma.) BUT her parents had a lifelong disagreement about pets. One loved dogs and the other loved cats. So one would put the dogs out so the cats could have free reign. Then the other would put the cats in the basement or let them out so the dogs would be free in the house. Gram said they had pets everywhere (keep in mind she would be almost 100 now; spaying and neutering didn’t happen even living in a small city) and it was just too much. They had a dog my uncle rescued when my mom was a kid; but never cats or another pet.

My mom loves both but I’ve definitely taken it to another level. We got our first cat when I was 2. One of my dad’s cousins loves cats so its been fun connecting with her via social media. I don’t think my dad ever had a pet growing up. Hes since had dogs and now bunnies.

I do have one cousin on my other grandmas side who was very involved with a TNR rescue for a while. So I guess it started at home and grew from there.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
My Mom was a dog-lover, although she had cats too. From an early age she had exposed me to animals as pets like dogs, cats, parrots, ducks, fishes and even a monkey. There was a monkey at our rural house which was rescued by my uncles and in the summer whenever i visited I enjoyed watching it plucking off lice from kids. Our home was its home for quite sometime. But later I learned the monkey was handed over by my mom to a wildlife center, which I thought at an early age as a wise move by my mom. My Mom brought us parrots from the province once, and became our beloved pet until its passing. He would call loudly at anyone coming through the door, "UGLY!". It was very amusing.

We had fishes too. And each death my brother and cousins had a funeral procession. Our pet cats before were indoor / outdoor ones. One died in front of me as she was crossing the street and was hit by a car. The horrible memory of it was embedded in my brain that was why I refused to take cats as pets after that. I thought that pet cats cannot be contained indoor only. It was only when I got here abroad that I started caring for cats again.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My mom is a total animal lover. Mostly dogs, she has a mild cat allergy. When she was growing up, the cats were mostly outdoor cats and came in to the laundry room only when it was very cold or rainy. My dad likes animals, but not as much as mom. We had dogs when I was small, and my parents let me keep the kitten I found at 13. I consider myself a dog and cat person. Cats are just easier to keep than dogs for apartment dwellers.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom was a nature and animal lover. My Dad adored his dog so much that he allowed her to take my baby bottle and share my crib! Lol I have pictures! It was in my blood! Or…. In my bottle? Lol Fortunately my mother tolerated me rescuing any creature that was hurt or suffering. I brought home every kind of living creature but cats were always with me as I did the rest. Maybe the dog was my cousin snd cats my sisters and brothers? My brothers first word was meow so…….:lol:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
The first cat in my life was the first cat in my parents life as well. I was the one pushing for the cat. After my father died my mother did get a cat to keep her company.