Question of the Day, Sunday, December 6, 2015

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i woke up today to a beautiful morning! i love fog, just so very cool! we get fog relatively often here because we're so close to the lake. my favorite is when there's 'rolling' fog, where the fog seems to roll across the landscape a few feet above the ground. i also think 'thick as pea soup' fog is really neat! this morning there was a good general fog here, and that coupled with the frost on the grass made it really lovely.

fog horn sounds always come to my mind when we have fog here --

so with these thoughts on my mind, for today's Question of the Day.........

What are some of your favorite weather conditions?

i'll start!

as i said, fog is one of my favorite weather conditions. just love it, and it makes my day when we have some fog here.

i like rain, especially listening to the sound of rain falling -- very pretty! freezing rain is entirely different; i don't care for that at all. snow is very lovely when it's falling, but the total amount of snow accumulating needs to stay 'within reason' for me.

another really cool thing is hail. i always stop what i'm doing to watch it bounce off the ground as it hits.

i think a breeze is nice most any time of the year, but gusty or high-gusty winds i don't care for. it's interesting to watch the trees blowing in those high winds, but there's much 'battening down' to do and then i worry about what things of mine outdoors might 'achieve lift off' and be carried off to 'parts unknown'.

i love warm, sunny days! but not too hot or humid, and a little breeze please.

okay, now it's your turn!

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm with you on the fog!! Especially in the mornings. I live next to a river, and have noticed that if it's foggy in the morning, the day is almost always going to be warm and have low humidity. I actually took a picture of the fog burning off this morning--it went from 100% fog bank to seeing the sun all within about 10 minutes. And it's going to be nice too--55, in December !!

Thunderstorms fascinate me, too, as long as I don't have to be out walking in one. In winter, I love when there's a bit of freezing fog--not freezing rain--just enough the air and ground shimmers. And the first light snow of winter. I love the way snow muffles sound. I can tell its snowed before I even get up, it's silent out.

The first warm spring days are my absolute favorite, though, when you can smell the dirt waking up. [emoji]127799[/emoji][emoji]127799[/emoji][emoji]127802[/emoji][emoji]9752[/emoji][emoji]127803[/emoji]

Last edited:

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Ironically, the same weather that freaks me out is also my favorite. I love stormy weather, especially with the winds blowing hard. Seemed so apropos that on my Lucky's last night on this earth, that was the weather we had. I already knew I would be giving him the final act of kindness the next day, and having him next to me while listening to the wind blowing so hard I was sure it would knock a tree down (it did in some places) just seemed right. The turbulence in the weather was a perfect match to that in my heart that evening. Mom said the wind was preparing to take Lucky to heaven.

Every time we have weather like that now, I think of him, and send some kisses for the winds to take to him.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also like the sound of rain on my rooftop.  If I'm in bed, it lulls me to sleep, very soothing.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I don't mind fog. Coming home from Maryland this morning, we drove up on the Bay Bridge and it was so foggy, we couldn't see the top of the Bridge! And it is still very, very foggy here at home. We drove up along the river and the fog is really bad. Kind of weird really for this time of day, seeing such foggy conditions in mid-afternoon.

I love to fall asleep to the sound of a gentle rain. It is very soothing to me.

But my favorite days on the warm summer days when there's not a cloud in the sky and all you see is blue from horizon to horizon. Hard to find during the summer sometimes because of humidity.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fog is so beautiful! We used to live by the shore and you could always tell when it was Fall because of the fog rolling in from the water. I'll never forget walking home from the store one day with my daughter (she was little, I think around 5) and we rounded a corner and saw what looked like a tsunami of fog rolling in. It was spilling out 20 feet high from between buildings and rejoining on the ground, building up and racing down the road and sidewalks towards us. It was spectacular.

My favorite weather hands-down is snow. I love how it floats down, covering everything in pure white. It muffles sounds so everything is quiet and bright. The winter nights get darker with rain, but with snow they light up, especially if the moon is out everything is glowing. 

We don't get much snow, and when we do it stays pretty nice until it melts. I have lived in a big city where it snows, I've slipped on the refrozen packed snow, I've seen the yellow dog pee and road grime all over the snow banks, but to me the stuff will always be magic from the sky.

Last edited:

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I like when it is a slow drizzle out. That's when I put on soup and just laze around. I also love when it snows. 

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spring weather is awesome! The light rains rinsing away the nasty snow. And, like misterwhiskers said, I love the smell of the earth waking up! I always get excited when I see that first little crocus pop it's head through the soil. Along with the light rains in the Spring come the thunder storms - heavy rain splatting against the ground, trees bending in the wind, thunder rumbling through dark, ominous clouds and flashes of lightening dancing across the sky! A good lightening show is amazing to watch! Of course, here in the midwest, we also have tornadoes in the Spring. While they can be devastating, there is something about their approach that is mystifying - the calm silence beforehand, the greenish/yellow tint to the darkening sky, the gradual build of static in the air, the wind slowly increasing, the rain and sometimes hail and darkening clouds shrouding the land, the intense dread of the 'funnel' - then, suddenly - another immediate calm and silence followed by a single bird chirping and the sun glinting of the foliage. 

Summer brings smells of dry, baking earth and the fragrance of honey suckle and jasmine. The warmth of sun on my skin and wonderful cloud formations dancing through the sky. My favorite weather condition is warm and sunny! I love summer! 75-80F, clear blue skies - time to jump in the car, roll down the windows, crank up the radio and hit the back roads for a joy ride! 

But, there is something to say for the crispness of Fall weather. The clean, brisk air tinted with wood smoke and the earthy-musty dampness. 

Winter weather - not my favorite when out in the elements - has it's positive aspects too. Sitting at the window with a mug of hot chocolate, watching ice crystals crackle and form on the glass as heavy snow floats down and transforms the outdoor harshness into a soft, opaline etherealness. The soothing icey-blue tints as the sun goes down, casting glimmering reflections of prisms everywhere. And the smells of winter are unique - the smell of snow is a combination of chemicals in the air which is difficult, if not impossible to define. But when you step outside, you can smell the aromas of pine and chimney smoke! 

Each season has it's own glorious weather and, as I grow older, I have learned to 'stop and smell the roses'. 

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have lived in a big city where it snows, I've slipped on the refrozen packed snow, I've seen the yellow dog pee and road grime all over the snow banks, but to me the stuff will always be magic from the sky.
I HATE snow, but will admit there is nothing prettier than fluffy white flakes falling from the sky, especially if they happen to be falling on Christmas Eve.  But too often, it's wet and yucky, or worse dry and drifting (think blizzard) and there's nothing at all good about that !!!!

My favourite weather is a summer day that is warm enough to sit in the shade wearing shorts and a sleeveless top and be completely comfortable.

Miriette

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I spent most of my life in Vegas where the weather was Hot and Terrible Death 95% of the time, so any weather other than that is pretty nice to me. I love how peaceful and beautiful snow is, and how calming the sound of rain is. It's been foggy here the past two days and I love how eerie and unsettling everything looks in the fog. But above all I LOVE thunderstorms. Give me some of that sweet lightning and thunder.

lmj1954

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love a great rip roaring thunderstorm with the lightening and thunder, exciting to me, I really like the sound of crackling lightening....so long as it 

stays in a good distance. My grandpa was hit by lightening TWICE in his life, and the tough old guy lived to be 95. 

lmj1954

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am opposite, I love spring, summer, tolerate fall and really dislike winter. I don`t like the feel of cold air, and I get cold so easy. I do admit

that snowfall can be beautiful, and fall leaves are awesome. Anyway, we can`t all like the same things or life would be uninteresting.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
You would love the weather here @mickNsnicks2mom  We're 1000 meters above sea level so we're often in the clouds. It looks amazing when the big cloud banks roll through.

I like freezing cold, bright, crisp days when the ground freezes and there isn't a cloud in the sky. It's best if there is a bit of frozen snow on the ground too. Everything sparkles like diamonds. I took this picture of Freya about 2 years ago, when we still lived down in the village. We're much higher now, in the real big snow country.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love a rainy day!  When I can be home!  I get energized and actually accomplish more things inside the house.  It could be cleaning or baking or both; I get way more done.  I don't care for having to go out in the rain to run errands; but if I'm home, I love it!

I also enjoy a sunny spring day.  In spring its invigorating to go outside and enjoy the fresh air and see things starting to bloom.   Early fall is nice too; just to be outside when it's not so hot and you can just be comfortable. 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm a Florida girl so I love a nice, bright sunny day. We do get our fair share of rain so I don't mind that unless it's torrential and I have to drive in it. That brings out the people who like to drive with their flashers on. 

Add a nice breeze to my sunny day? Yes, please. The perfect weather is almost here. Mild days, cooler nights. I'll actually be able to shut the AC off and open the windows for a while. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thunderstorms fascinate me, too, as long as I don't have to be out walking in one. In winter, I love when there's a bit of freezing fog--not freezing rain--just enough the air and ground shimmers. And the first light snow of winter. I love the way snow muffles sound. I can tell its snowed before I even get up, it's silent out.

The first warm spring days are my absolute favorite, though, when you can smell the dirt waking up. [emoji]127799[/emoji][emoji]127799[/emoji][emoji]127802[/emoji][emoji]9752[/emoji][emoji]127803[/emoji]
yes, the fog here burned off about as quickly when the sun came out yesterday too!

the first warm spring days...........and winter is finally over. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ironically, the same weather that freaks me out is also my favorite. I love stormy weather, especially with the winds blowing hard. Seemed so apropos that on my Lucky's last night on this earth, that was the weather we had. I already knew I would be giving him the final act of kindness the next day, and having him next to me while listening to the wind blowing so hard I was sure it would knock a tree down (it did in some places) just seemed right. The turbulence in the weather was a perfect match to that in my heart that evening. Mom said the wind was preparing to take Lucky to heaven.

Every time we have weather like that now, I think of him, and send some kisses for the winds to take to him.
those are really lovely thoughts! comforting...