Question of the Day: Sunday, December 4

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wishing you all a happy second Sunday in Advent.
At least here in Germany, winter has arrived and, as far as I am concerned, the best thing to do on this dark, cold, December day, is to make yourself comfortable, settle under a blanket on the sofa and read a good book. But, I had to go out delivering handmade articles for the animal charity's market stall, cat food for the Christmas hampers for needy pet owners, and to pay a visit to a care home. There were plenty of people about - probably visiting Christmas markets - but I prefer to keep away from the Christmas crowds. I'm still getting over the flu and I don't need Covid!
advent-3009556_1920.jpg

So, I have not had to listen to hours of Christmas music - which is quite a relief because you can certainly have too much of a good thing!

I try to turn a deaf ear to the sound of children murdering "O Holy Night" and "Jingle Bells" and co. leave me cold. So, I was surprised when turning on the radio, and hearing a Christmas "almost classic" from 1984. The music and words made me feel quite pensive about the one big day ahead.

It was Queen and "Thank God it's Christmas". Goodness alone knows why this song could affect me so much. Perhaps the mixture of power, melancholy plus a certain amount of optimism.

Has any particular song or Christmas music affected you - positively or negatively - so far this season?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not specifically this season yet. I'll be spending some time very soon with music to help heal my heart. There are some church songs I grew up with (some of which aren't necessarily Christmas although of course some are), that I find just incredible.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I generally enjoy listening to Christmas music, but this year for some reason it still seems too early for it. And that's with my house already decorated and tree up.

I'm sure when I hear "Last Christmas" by George Michael, it's going to make me sad, remembering he died on Christmas day.
And Bon Jovi's "I Wish Everyday Could Be Like Christmas" will most certainly put a smile on my face, as it always does when I hear it.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I jus finished a two day craft show this afternoon and one thing just about sending me over the edge was the Christmas music playing over the intercom. Everything from modern to oldies, all day, both days. The only thing worse was they had a group of live singers that went from room to room and they were just beyond awful and so so loud.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

John Lennon - Happy Xmas (War is over)1

Because of the anti-war message ... makes my eyes leaky
Best Christmas song ever.

On Wednesday, December 8, 2022 it will be the 42nd anniversary of John's death. He was only 40 years old. Hearing that song that December really brought tears to my eyes.

Last edited:

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
O'Holy Night is one of my all time favorites, I just haven't found a version or singer that I've truly enjoyed hearing singing it. A new favorite of mine is Casting Crowns - I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day! I cannot stand songs like Grandma got run over..., Blue Blue Christmas just stupid songs IMHO

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't heard a lot of Christmas music that really struck me this year. There are some that I definitely love no matter who sings it like O Holy Night and Baby Please Come Home For Christmas. There are also a few that I absolutely despise like Christmas Shoes.