Question Of The Day, Sunday, April 23, 2017

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good morning! :hellocomputer:

recently, i bought some new e-books to read! very exciting for me, as i don't usually buy them -- i'll most times stick with choosing the free Kindle First book each month.

for today's Question of the Day, let's talk about books and how we like to read......

Do you prefer to read......on an e-reader, paperback, hard cover, via an app (on your computer or phone), audio book...?

i'll start!

i've always enjoyed reading either paperback or hard cover books, but prefer not to accumulate the books. so 6+ years ago, i switched to e-books.

most times, i use the kindle app on my computer to read. i like that i can expand the app's window so it fills my computer screen, and the print can be adjusted to the size i want too. occasionally, i'll use my kindle device...if i'm going somewhere and will be sitting and waiting for a while, or if the power goes out.

i've never tried an audio/audible book, though i'm sure i'd enjoy that. i've listened to podcasts and have really enjoyed them, so i think i'd like the audio/audible experience too.

okay, now it's your turn!

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good morning! :hellocomputer:

recently, i bought some new e-books to read! very exciting for me, as i don't usually buy them -- i'll most times stick with choosing the free Kindle First book each month.

for today's Question of the Day, let's talk about books and how we like to read......

Do you prefer to read......on an e-reader, paperback, hard cover, via an app (on your computer or phone), audio book...?

i've always enjoyed reading either paperback or hard cover books, but prefer not to accumulate the books. so 6+ years ago, i switched to e-books.

most times, i use the kindle app on my computer to read. i like that i can expand the app's window so it fills my computer screen, and the print can be adjusted to the size i want too. occasionally, i'll use my kindle device...if i'm going somewhere and will be sitting and waiting for a while, or if the power goes out.

i've never tried an audio/audible book, though i'm sure i'd enjoy that. i've listened to podcasts and have really enjoyed them, so i think i'd like the audio/audible experience too.

okay, now it's your turn!
I've never used a kindle to read a book but I think I would prefer a paperback or hard cover book to read. I used to read a lot but since I had Graves disease it has messed up my eyes and it is difficult to read for any length of time. I sure miss laying in bed with a good book.

Muffy

Last edited by a moderator:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely paperback or hardcover, I love the feeling of turning the pages and using a bookmark. Call me old fashioned but that's my preference. ;)

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I definitely prefer an e-reader (in my case a Kindle Paperwhite, perfect for reading in bed). Not only is it lightweight and holds more books than you can get through in a short period of time, you can get a lot of free or discounted e-books. There's also the instant gratification factor when you're downloading a book.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think I probably use audio books the most. I borrow them from the library. I then transfer them to a tiny Sans disk MP-3 player that I can clip on my clothing. It's so tiny that I don't even notice it is there.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely paperback or hardcover, I love the feeling of turning the pages and using a bookmark. Call me old fashioned but that's my preference. ;)
:yeah:

I get why e-readers and the like are popular but it's not the same as holding a real book in your hands and turning the pages and drifting off in another world while you read. And there's just something about a brand new book with crisp pages that is appealing, like an adventure waiting to be slowly unfolded. Plus there are no batteries to recharge or damaged screens and whatnot.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I :redheartpump: my Kindle Paperwhite.
I fought for years against buying one but broke down last year. What a great decision. First with aging eyes it is very easy to read on. Second, I don't have to add to the weight of my bag by having a book inside. The Kindle is extremely light even with the protection cover. I bought a handmade leather one embossed with a fox on it. Got it off Etsy.
Last is my house will not continue on it's path to utter clutter. We really have little room for books - nearly all of them are now boxed up in the attic.
I'm now reading more than I have in years. Highly recommend. I might get a color reader so that I can enjoy other things where color is necessary such as cooking magazines.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
100% paperbook! I can't let go of the physical feeling, smell and texture. Old and new. I can't get lost in a plastic screen, I really can't. Plus, I really enjoy accumulating books; I love by hoarder library :lol: my precious collection, part of my intellectual and homey physical repertoire in my home. Nothing like a room full of books.

Even though I enjoy technology highly, I look at enough screens during the day anyway, the computer, the phone, the till. I have enough things that need recharging and updating. I walk around with enough flat metallic gadget things as is. I was always a huge book, bookstore and library lover as a child and e-readers just don't cut it for me. I am genuinely scared at the potential loss of bookstores and libraries, they were such soothing and pleasant spaces, and being able to explore the possibilities.

I can understand why people like them though, they are convenient for things like travelling. Though I still personally favour travelling with a small book and a magazine anyway, the same feeling remains.

Anyway, long story short, team physical books! Woo!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never used a kindle to read a book but I think I would prefer a paperback or hard cover book to read. I used to read a lot but since I had Graves disease it has messed up my eyes and it is difficult to read for any length of time. I sure miss laying in bed with a good book.

Muffy
:think: ......have you tried audio/audible books? it might be worth trying one or two, to see if you enjoy the experience. i know that Amazon offers audible books, and Pandora offers podcasts (which i've really enjoyed listening to).

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I definitely prefer an e-reader (in my case a Kindle Paperwhite, perfect for reading in bed). Not only is it lightweight and holds more books than you can get through in a short period of time, you can get a lot of free or discounted e-books. There's also the instant gratification factor when you're downloading a book.
an e-reader! :clap:

and, all very good things about using an e-reader! :agree: i particularly like the free or low cost of many e-books, and that instant-gratification factor.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I probably use audio books the most. I borrow them from the library. I then transfer them to a tiny Sans disk MP-3 player that I can clip on my clothing. It's so tiny that I don't even notice it is there.
audio books! most excellent!!! :thumbsup:

having the audio books on an MP3 player is a great idea! ...... :think:

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I enjoy reading, and love the feel of a book in my hands. I also spend more than enough time looking at the screen; I don't believe it is good for the eyes. So I don't have any e reader.

I've been a regular at the library every other Tuesday for many years now, and in 3 different states! This way I don't accumulate the books! LOL

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I get why e-readers and the like are popular but it's not the same as holding a real book in your hands and turning the pages and drifting off in another world while you read.
Trust me, it's even better. My iPad with Kindle app is super-light & is backlit for night reading. I expect to read a paper book only rarely in the future.

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely a hard cover or paperback. It's just more soothing somehow to hold the book in your hands. More personal than a computer. Just call me "old-fashioned".

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love my Kindle Fire. I have a bunch of hard and paperback books. They take up a lot of space. They also collect dust. They will eventually be gone with few exceptions.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Reading is a passion of mine, always has been. I am reading paperbacks right now out of my dad's library, I love holding a book, especially a hardcover and experiencing the 'feel' of it. I also have a Kindle which I especially love because of the backlit screen which comes in handy when we stay the night somewhere and I want to read in the mornings without waking my husband up. It's also easier to see since my old eyes aren't as good as they used to be. I love a good thriller, I am fascinated by forensics and always have been. I also like to see the 'bad guy' brought to justice and how they do it.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I get why e-readers and the like are popular but it's not the same as holding a real book in your hands and turning the pages and drifting off in another world while you read. And there's just something about a brand new book with crisp pages that is appealing, like an adventure waiting to be slowly unfolded. Plus there are no batteries to recharge or damaged screens and whatnot.
good points!!! :clap: and i understand why you prefer paperback/hard cover books!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I :redheartpump: my Kindle Paperwhite.
I fought for years against buying one but broke down last year. What a great decision. First with aging eyes it is very easy to read on. Second, I don't have to add to the weight of my bag by having a book inside. The Kindle is extremely light even with the protection cover. I bought a handmade leather one embossed with a fox on it. Got it off Etsy.
Last is my house will not continue on it's path to utter clutter. We really have little room for books - nearly all of them are now boxed up in the attic.
I'm now reading more than I have in years. Highly recommend. I might get a color reader so that I can enjoy other things where color is necessary such as cooking magazines.
ahhh, a kindle reader!!! :thumbsup: most excellent!

and the handmade leather cover embossed with a fox on it sounds lovely! Etsy is such a great site for handmade items. :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
100% paperbook! I can't let go of the physical feeling, smell and texture. Old and new. I can't get lost in a plastic screen, I really can't. Plus, I really enjoy accumulating books; I love by hoarder library :lol: my precious collection, part of my intellectual and homey physical repertoire in my home. Nothing like a room full of books.

Even though I enjoy technology highly, I look at enough screens during the day anyway, the computer, the phone, the till. I have enough things that need recharging and updating. I walk around with enough flat metallic gadget things as is. I was always a huge book, bookstore and library lover as a child and e-readers just don't cut it for me. I am genuinely scared at the potential loss of bookstores and libraries, they were such soothing and pleasant spaces, and being able to explore the possibilities.

I can understand why people like them though, they are convenient for things like travelling. Though I still personally favour travelling with a small book and a magazine anyway, the same feeling remains.

Anyway, long story short, team physical books! Woo!
physical books!!! :clap: and for good reasons! :D