Question of the Day: Sunday, April 13

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took my kids to a Science Expo at UNC yesterday, and we were blown away by how huge the event was! They had many dozens of tables that covered all different subjects: robotics, physics, biology, dentistry, archeology, anthropology, chemistry, astrology... the list goes on. If you can think of it, they probably had a table for it.  It was really great to see so many kids engaged in science. My kids were both very interested in the computer science stuff, like virtual reality. 

I remember being really interested in archeology when I was young. Going to a museum and doing a scavenger hunt for various found items and learning the history of them... that was the best. I thought it would be really cool to be an archeologist: to travel the world and dig up artifacts from ancient civilizations. But at the expo they were explaining the process for excavation and reassemblage, and I though it seemed like it would be a very boring job! 

So what about you? What sciencey stuff was most interesting to you when you were a kid? And does it still interest you today?

Last edited:

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Astronomy! If I was any good at math and physics, that'll be what I would be working in. Always loved loved the stars and the mystery of the universe.

The first time I learnt (and understood why) that when we look into space, we are actually looking back into the past -- it blew my mind. 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I always loved biology.  Plant or animal / human it was fascinating.  I chose a career that involved knowledge of human biology and anatomy, and remain interested today even though I recently left that chosen career after 30 years practice.   

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Biology, chemistry...as far as a sciency place I remember going to Fernbank Museum in ATL as a kid.  I remember the chairs tilting back and us watching the screen on the ceiling.  I was kid in the 80's so that was super-cool back then!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gems/rocks/minerals...anything in that category.  The had a beautiful exhibit on gems at the Smithsonian when I went at about age 8 or 9 I think.  I loved it!  I do still like them.  I would have loved to design jewelry; but I'm not sure I have the steady hands for that kind of work. 
  I really enjoyed the space things too and I have a small telescope now; but it doesn't get the use I'd like right now.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Astronomy!  I got a telescope for my 10th birthday and my friends felt sorry for  me for getting such a nerdy gift until they found out that's what I asked for--then they just thought I was weird.  
    I haven't really kept up that interest except for reading Carl Sagan...  

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Another tick for astronomy.  Our school had a huge telescope, so that helped.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Astrophysics; I had enough hours in college to minor in physics, and just genuinely enjoyed the courses and learning because it was so interesting! It wasn't my field of study (Music Industry was) but I loved it! Astronomy just makes you really pause and think about the universe around you.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Astronomy. I would (and still do) spend hours outside at night, just sitting and looking up into the sky. It's fascinating. I love being outside late at night, sitting in the chair or laying on the ground and looking up. On really hot and humid nights, I'll get in the pool and lounge on the raft. And look at the sky.

I took some Astronomy courses when I was in college; I majored in Geography, but had to take some General Ed classes as well. The Astronomy classes were fascinating to me.

Our son is the same way (he took Physics in college, but he would have been a great astronomer, I think). We gave him a telescope one year as part of his Christmas present and he and I would go outside for hours at night. When I was working second shift in the summer, I'd get home around 11:15 or so at night. He had the telescope outside and ready to go. I loved it. During the meteor showers, particularly the Perseids, but also during Leonids (we'd have to bundle up a bit), we'd be outside all night long. And during the summer, we'd take our sleeping bags and go up on the hill and lay there, watching the sky. (I learned a lot about my son during those times, too, as we talked about everything.)

One year, we were outside during the Perseids. He was in his sleeping bag on the concrete deck around the pool. I was lying on the swing. It had been clear out and the sky was clear as a bell, but the fog was coming in; we could see the fog creeping down the hill behind the house. It was downright spooky. When it got to the trees, DS said, "OK, that's it. I know I've read too much Stephen King, but that's downright eerie and I'm going in the house. And you're not staying out here either!" 

Last edited:

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So cool, so many people interested in astronomy! You guys should definitely check out the new tv series, Cosmos, if you haven't already: http://www.cosmosontv.com. It continues where Carl Sagan's show left off - SO many new fascinating advances in science since the first Cosmos series.

For anyone in the area, Astronomy Day here in Victoria BC is May 3, at the Royal BC Museum, then continuing to The Centre of the Universe (the visitor center at the observatory) in the evening. My husband is giving a public talk for the event (at the museum). 

I've always been into meteorology, although I did take a lot of astronomy for my science requirements at university, and my work now is involved with astronomy. The only school offering a major in meteorology was Texas A&M in College Station, but I did not want the strict military atmosphere there (had enough during my childhood); went to UT Austin party school instead with no regrets. 

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been and still are into forensic pathology, even as a kid I was always digging through dead things to find out how they died. I know it's weird, but to me it's fascinating! My husband will not let me have the remote because that's what I will watch.
To me it gives such a sense of 'closure' to know exactly how someone died. And if it helps to put a murderer behind bars, all the better!

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chemistry! l loved the sciences as a child, but had a passion for chemistry. l had a chemistry set and microscope at a young age and my parents would restock and add to it every Christmas till l had a "lab".

l'm still interested but not passionate, l think the passion was in the learning. Part of my job involves troubleshooting chemistry/chemical process issues.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

Chemistry! l loved the sciences as a child, but had a passion for chemistry. l had a chemistry set and microscope at a young age and my parents would restock and add to it every Christmas till l had a "lab".

l'm still interested but not passionate, l think the passion was in the learning. Part of my job involves troubleshooting chemistry/chemical process issues.
I took a Chemistry class when I was in college and I thought it was such neat stuff. The problem was that I had an idiot for a professor....she was so hated that students had a petition going to get rid of her; she was awful. And it completely soured me on Chemistry. I loved learning how things worked and why they worked the way they did. It was so cool. But that woman was a menace to campus society.

We gave our grandson a microscope for Christmas as part of his present last year. He still loves it and he's still constantly looking at things through his microscope.

Last edited: