Question of the Day, Sunday, 31st May 2020

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've heard of it but don't know how to access it and have no desire to access it. I know Lifelock says that they scan the dark web searching for their member's information, other services like that probably do as well, which is a good thing that they do that. I have no business or desire to be in that part of the internet.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is the dark web? It sounds either illegal or immoral, I don't have any interest in that type of thing.
Should I cover the camera on my ipad? Can people see me? Dang. :eek2:
Most activity on it is nefarious, to say the least. If you were to go on it, just assume that someone is watching you, which is pretty strange considering some people say they use it for privacy reasons and to be under the government's radar.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In order to use it, you have to use Tor, which is an anonymized browser that bounces all over the world so nobody can figure out who you are. At least by your IP, but maybe they can run facial rec by hacking your camera? Anyway I assume most people who know how to get on know enough to cover their cameras too.

It's useful for, say, someone in China who wants to read about Tiananmen Square, or other oppressed people needing an anonymous way to connect, but, yeah, a lot of it is drugs and human trafficking and such.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I don't even know how to access it :dunno: . I heard you need something called Tor? And I don't even know how to get that :paperbag:. And I don't know what I'd do once I got there.

I suppose I can imagine situations in which I'd feel like I would have to use something like that. Dystopian reasons. Not at this point though.

I know a lot of people who keep stickers over their front-facing cameras. I don't. What are they going to see? My derp face staring at the screen? That's their problem, lol.
I think one sighting of my face would deter future attemps.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What everybody looks like on front camera:
I hate the way my face looks on my ipad camera. I think I look fine in the mirror, but the ipad makes my face look long, thin, and old. I don't know which one is lying to me, the mirror or the ipad? :dunno:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That doesn't sound like something that interests me. I was never the kid who had to experience something to learn not to do it.

I do have my laptop camera covered but not my phone or my kids kindles. They still only get supervised use of electronics but they do use it to chat with their cousin and grandparents. The kids kindle cases would be hard to cover the rear camera. We've had several talks about using those cameras and video chatting though. There are too many embarrassing stories with all these kids using them for school video chats.