Question of the Day, Sunday, 31st May 2020

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning and Happy Sunday!!

I was pondering this recently after thinking about a conversation I had with someone awhile back.

Have you ever been on the dark web? Would you? My friend
said if so, place a piece of paper over your webcam.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, and no, and I already have tape covering the rear-facing camera on my tablet; the front one being blocked by the cover of the tablet's protective case.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
No, and no, and I already have tape covering the rear-facing camera on my tablet; the front one being blocked by the cover of the tablet's protective case.
I don't understand why this is necessary?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
An external web cam could just be simply unplugged from the computer when not in use. A built in one like on laptops, phones, etc can be disabled through the web cam setting and a piece of dark paper could be taped over the camera just to be safe. It's a good ideal to disable the microphone, too, if you don't use Siri or voice-activated apps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Because hackers can, at least in theory, defeat any safeguards you can put in place, but they can't defeat a piece of tape.
Ah! thank you!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't even know how to access it :dunno: . I heard you need something called Tor? And I don't even know how to get that :paperbag:. And I don't know what I'd do once I got there.

I suppose I can imagine situations in which I'd feel like I would have to use something like that. Dystopian reasons. Not at this point though.

I know a lot of people who keep stickers over their front-facing cameras. I don't. What are they going to see? My derp face staring at the screen? That's their problem, lol.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure what it is either, so I doubt I've been on it.

I don't cover my webcams. With all the zoom and Skype I've done lately, I'd be taking it off constantly anyway. :dunno:

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While I used to watched a lot of youtube videos about it for the creepy factor (Granted eventually stopped that since it can be too upsetting) honestly don't want to actually dabble. Along with things like safety concerns, I really don't want to risk seeing something horrible and distressing. The alleged content that is shown is beyond awful.

Whether some of these are real or not, have no interest in finding out for sure :cringe: I would go insane and make severe attempts to do something about it. I sincerely hope that at least most of them are legends and pure BS, and that what really happens is nothing more than just some scams or currency stuff. If there is truth to it, then with all goodness to hope law enforcement is on top of it.

So yeah, a huge nope for me lol

v0Xfw2y.gif

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is the dark web? It sounds either illegal or immoral, I don't have any interest in that type of thing.
Should I cover the camera on my ipad? Can people see me? Dang. :eek2: