Question of the day, Sunday, 31st January, 2021

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and Happy Sunday, last one of January

It's snowing here and we may have a lot.

Do you like skiing, snowboarding, ice skating anything like that?

I used to enjoy skiing but am no longer able to do so. I loved ice skating as a kid. There are several indoor skating rinks around here but I wouldn't be able to do that either.

What about you?

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I grew up ice skating, all of the local parks would set up rinks with warmhouses. I was never very good though and still can't stop properly haha, I even took ice skating as one of my "gym" requirements in college. In grad school, I took up roller derby and enjoyed it a lot. If I had stayed in Chicago, I would've tried out for teams eventually since I had friends doing it competitively. My derby name was Lucky Harms.
Surprisingly, even though I grew up in a town that had a famous skiing hill (where Lindsey Vonn and Kristina Kosnik trained growing up), I never went downhill skiing/snowboarding. My brother did. I'd only been nordic skiing until last year. A friend of mine is a ski instructor at a resort here, so I took her class and skiied. I think I"m not properly flexible for it or my soccer injuries were acting up because I was very, very sore. It was hard to hold my legs in the correct positions. I probably won't go again, but maybe I'd go nordic skiing.
I also have a longboard skateboard and have been surfing a few times. I prefer surfing to skiing for sure!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess as you get older you give all that up, when you are closer to your end you take less risk! We are in SW Nebraska, so any kind of moisture is a rarity around here, we are still in a drought even though we FINALLY got our first measurable snow this year. I absolutely LOVE looking out over the fields of white, but the winds make it pretty bad to be out in it. We had gusts up to 40 MPH yesterday. Any kind of moisture is welcome, though I feel sorry for all the animals who have to scavage for food.....

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only winter activities I did was sliding, skating and we would snow-machine, but I haven't been in years. I did cross country and snowshoe a few times as a child, but we didn't have our own equipment so it wasn't very often. As for any sports like downhill or snowboarding....nope...I like my body parts attached where they are thank you very much.
I don't really "do winter" anymore though, I get too cold way too fast to enjoy much of anything for any length of time.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I used to ice skate when I was younger, but mostly in arenas, as I was always afraid of falling through the ice on lakes. Now I totally despise being cold, so no outdoor winter activities at all. Well, except snow shoveling. :ohwell:

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Growing up there was not much opportunity for any of that in London. But, just for fun, on a weekend, we would occasionally go ice skating at an indoor ice rink. It was before the days of discos but pop music was played with colored lights on a Friday or Saturday evening. Sunday morning was more for families and, as far as I can remember, somebody played a piano or electric keyboard for us to skate to. 🎹
On moving to Germany I actually bought my own ice skates ⛸ and, until I reached my half century, I used to go ice skating with family and friends at indoor and outdoor rinks.
I have been cross-country skiing 🎿which I enjoyed. The cold never bothered me when out alone in the snow but where people collected in cafes, restaurants and hotels, the crowds, wet clothes, and puddles underfoot (even indoors) deterred me from spending future holidays in snow.
Incidentally, I never learnt how to stop on skates apart from crashing into the barrier. On skis I simply sat down! 🙀

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll still go sledding if the kids want to. Other than that, no. I've only ice-skated on indoor rinks, and never really enjoyed it because the skates always hurt my ankles and they wouldn't let girls rent the hockey skates 😡 . I've never been skiing or snowboarding and I don't see any reason to start now. They do have tubing at the ski hill and I'd like to try that, but that's only a variation of sledding really.

I will NOT go on a snowmobile, except if truly necessary for transportation. Not thrill riding. I hate those things.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've done cross country skiing a few times and I enjoyed it, but I haven't done it lately. It's definitely an intense workout because you use muscles you didn't even know you had. :lol: I've skated before too, but I don't think I'd be able to do it now. I'm too afraid to fall, so that pretty much makes me a bad candidate for "extreme" sports like snowboarding.