Question of The Day. Sunday 29th of August

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Do you have a bumper sticker on your car or any decals in your car window? What do they say?

Our car has a sticker shaped like a bears silhouette that says "I brake for bears" I think my husband bought it while he was visiting a national park in Hokkaido. He's also got one in the back window that's a line drawing of a Kai Pony and a few on the front window that show different mountain ranges he's climbed in.

What adorns your car?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have many decals on our vehicles. My husband owns a graphic and print shop so not only are they done up with the company logos and information, he also uses our vehicles to display different types of vinyl options. And it's not just a random patchwork of stickers...they do look nice and professional...We also have a few decals on some of the windows that are personal to us and not related to the business but my hubby still made them so it still helps with advertising. We've changed the look of the vehicles a few times over the years.

FYI. If you're thinking of getting a new vehicle. Save some money by getting the "stock color" of the one they have on the lot...even if you hate it. Then get it wrapped, before any rust or bubbling of the paint happens. It will help protect the vehicle from rust and chipping, thus keeping your vehicle in better shape for longer....better resale. This is also a great idea for those who tend to use their vehicles where scratches and chips are common. Most scratches will simply ruin the vinyl, which is easily replaceable...and not damage the paint underneath.
And if you get a vehicle that you do like the color, you can apply a clear vinyl (usually people just put it around the hood) it will protect it from scratches and chips caused by everyday driving when stuff hits the front of your car. One of the most common places a vehicle tends to rust is the front edge of the hood, so you can stop it from happening.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a crab decal around my car's emblem similar to this...
car-sticker-decal-3d-chrome-cute-crab-automobile.jpg

Driving home one day I saw a car with one and thought it was so cool. I will be very sad when I have to trade in my car because I probably won't get another one.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No. Around here, there are so many easily offended people that it isn't safe to have stickers or decals of any kind, unless they are something like a parking permit. I once had a decal on a vehicle, and it earned me a slashed tire, so never again.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only have one sticker on my rear window: similar to this pin.
1630240629208.png

SAMT is not the name of a cat but a local organisation, Soziale Arbeit für Mensch und Tier, which I support.

Our work is mainly (financial) help for pets and their owners, paying contributions towards neutering and medical care for cats and dogs whose owners are unable to afford vet care, and providing pet food to the needy. But, caring for strays, fostering and rehoming unwanted animals, feeding ferals, identifying animals killed on the roads, and caring for wildlife (for instance: hedgehogs, birds, ducks and baby bats) are some of the tasks carried out by volunteers.

I find the sticker is perhaps a small help when I have to deal with strangers. I forget its existence but people do notice "Oh, I saw the sticker on a car and knew someone had turned up from SAMT!"

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Nope. No stickers, no decals. They are hard as heck, sometimes, to get off, and I'm not going there. The only time I did anything was when I put a large magnet for Obama-Biden on the back end of Clarence. That thing was on him for a full eight years....now it's on my fridge in the WeShed. It did leave a discolored mark on Clarence's paint; he's been re-painted since. I won't put any on windows either.

After the eight years, I took the magnet off and put it on the side of my desk at work. One time, this asinine GOP candidate went through our building, barging into offices. He didn't even knock, opened my door and held out his hand, "Hi! I'm so-and-so and I'm running....." and that's as far as he got. I did NOT shake the jackass's hand, merely pointed to the the magnet on the side of my desk and waved goodbye. And he left. And then I let the PTB know without a doubt that not everybody in that building was a Republican and they had a lot of guts allowing people to roam through the building. Last time that ever happened. The sign in question is now on my fridge.

ETA: And for what it's worth, I would have done the same thing had it been a Democrat seeking office. IMO, you don't, you just don't, let people roam through a building.

OBTwo.jpg

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FYI. If you're thinking of getting a new vehicle. Save some money by getting the "stock color" of the one they have on the lot...even if you hate it. Then get it wrapped
Doesn't it cost several thousand to have a car wrapped? I bet they wouldn't give me that much of a discount for getting a stock color :tongue: .

I don't have any stickers. When I first moved here, some people would vandalize Hondas just for being Hondas (not 'Murican!). Things have improved since then but I still don't trust them. And I don't really like stickers on vehicles anyway. The only thing on my windshield is an oil change cling.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Doesn't it cost several thousand to have a car wrapped? I bet they wouldn't give me that much of a discount for getting a stock color :tongue: .
Yes it can cost a couple/few thousand to wrap the whole vehicle (cost depending on size of vehicle), but I was speaking in terms of resale value and/or cost of maintenance. And usually if you purchase a vehicle from the lot rather than have them order the one you want it does save some money......at least around here.
Also, if you simply apply decals in areas that are prone to damage (ex: around the hood, or striping on door panels) it can save you in the long run from scratches, dings, and the eventual rust.
I guess it's a bit different living in the North where sand and road salt is used for 6 months out of the year....that stuff "ages" our vehicles way faster.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
No stickers and decals. My father, who bought a new car every 2-to-4 years beginning with a 1930 Model A, took immaculate care of them and would not allow anything to sully the purity of his prize possessions. It’s just stuck with me.

Back in the ‘60s, we took a family vacation to Florida and went to (now closed) Cypress Gardens. When we got back to the parking lot, all of the cars had Cypress Gardens bumper stickers, including ours. Oof. That’s the angriest I ever saw my dad!:cloudy:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just village stickers on my front right windshield. They've built up because I almost never remove them! I think there might be an old oil change sticker Jiffy Lube may have put on that I ignored because my car lets me know when the oil life is low.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have several and am not opposed to a few more. I am trying to find a suitable Star Trek one. The cat triskele is our family crest. We also have flags of it. (Our motto is "Fight tooth, claw, and heart.")
20210829_122626.jpg 20210829_122631.jpg 20210829_122638 (1).jpg 20210829_122644.jpg 20210829_122651.jpg

This is obviously not my car. It belongs to my husband. He also has "The World's Okayest Miniature Painter" and our crest. We are still looking for a couple more for him.

20210829_122702.jpg