Question Of The Day Sunday 28, July 2019

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Was not a fan of high school at all. I never fit into any group. I wasn't popular but, I also wasn't in the "nerd" group. Did not date, did not go to prom, did not join groups, kind of ghosted through it.

I guess, I just kind of was there.

Couldn't wait to get out. Wasn't until college that I felt I'd found my "people".

EmeraldX

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did not enjoy high school. Every year something different always made the experience too stressful or overwhelming. Not much freedom, social issues everywhere, it was a pain. I've enjoyed college a lot more.

Puff Kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Was not a fan of high school at all. I never fit into any group. I wasn't popular but, I also wasn't in the "nerd" group. Did not date, did not go to prom, did not join groups, kind of ghosted through it.

I guess, I just kind of was there.

Couldn't wait to get out. Wasn't until college that I felt I'd found my "people".
I could've wrote this myself. It perfectly sums up my high school experience.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't hate it like a lot of people did. I wouldn't want to relive it though. I was a very involved teenager with a lot of different activities like soccer, track and field, math team, band, marching band, and softball. I liked knowing I'd be seeing my friends several times a week. That was a hard thing to get used to when I went to college because I didn't really have any friends in college.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It wasn't a terrible experience but I didn't relish it all either. I enjoyed my friends but found a lot of other kid's behaviors really immature and ridiculous. Especially guys. I enjoyed college a lot more but even there I wasn't a "typical" college kid into parties or things like that. There was just more freedom.

The only things I miss were the lack of bills, the free time and my body. :lol:

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hated High School. Very badly bullied throughout that time. Called a long list of names (My physical appearance being a heavy target, so I was called ugly a lot) everything I did or had was mocked, from my hobbies to my clothing, my kidney disease was made fun of ("Hope you die you ugly B****" "OMG You pee like a horse! Hahaha") was set up and humiliated in front of school audiences, had my lock on my locker destroyed a few times with things stolen or insults written inside of it, had my purse taken and my cash and debit cards stolen, batteries and old fruit thrown at me in the hallway and school bus. Not to mention bets other kids would place on me. It didn't matter if I stood up for myself, it was me alone against them, and teachers didn't help.

I did have a couple of good friends, but I was in a different level than they were: I was Academic level and they were Applied. Or, they went to different schools. So most of the day I was entirely alone.

I was so happy to leave! Good riddance!

The sad thing is, even after all these years later I still have lingering affects from it all :sigh: Anxiety, social insecurities, pulling away from people before I get hurt due to low confidence, assumptions or worth, and other little issues, like I get suspicious of kindness or friendliness, thinking it is nothing more than a lie or set up. I am working on it of course since don't want these issues to be part of my life forever and to win over it all in the end, but it's taking some effort for sure.

(University was wonderful, side note)

Last edited:

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was bullied all throughout my secondary school years (excluding sixth form, which was my favourite) and half of my primary school years. During secondary school it got to the point where I was diagnosed with severe depression and I had to be homeschooled for a little while. I still have anxiety issues and a more mild depression as a result, but sixth form helped improve my mental state greatly as I made a large group of friends. We've sadly fizzled out somewhat since we left, though I still keep in touch and see about 5 or 6 of them. I'm due to start university in mid September, so I'm hoping that it'll be better! Most of the people I've met there through online chatrooms already seem lovely, so that's very encouraging.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I hated High School. Very badly bullied throughout that time. Called a long list of names (My physical appearance being a heavy target, so I was called ugly a lot) everything I did or had was mocked, from my hobbies to my clothing, my kidney disease was made fun of ("Hope you die you ugly B****" "OMG You pee like a horse! Hahaha") was set up and humiliated in front of school audiences, had my lock on my locker destroyed a few times with things stolen or insults written inside of it, had my purse taken and my cash and debit cards stolen, batteries and old fruit thrown at me in the hallway and school bus. Not to mention bets other kids would place on me. It didn't matter if I stood up for myself, it was me alone against them, and teachers didn't help.

I did have a couple of good friends, but I was in a different level than they were: I was Academic level and they were Applied. Or, they went to different schools. So most of the day I was entirely alone.

I was so happy to leave! Good riddance!

The sad thing is, even after all these years later I still have lingering affects from it all :sigh: Anxiety, social insecurities, pulling away from people before I get hurt due to low confidence, assumptions or worth, and other little issues, like I get suspicious of kindness or friendliness, thinking it is nothing more than a lie or set up. I am working on it of course since don't want these issues to be part of my life forever and to win over it all in the end, but it's taking some effort for sure.

(University was wonderful, side note)
Oh, sweetheart,

I feel so badly about what you went through. I'm happy that University was wonderful. It's good you're working on these issues.

Mia :alright::rbheart:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I was bullied all throughout my secondary school years (excluding sixth form, which was my favourite) and half of my primary school years. During secondary school it got to the point where I was diagnosed with severe depression and I had to be homeschooled for a little while. I still have anxiety issues and a more mild depression as a result, but sixth form helped improve my mental state greatly as I made a large group of friends. We've sadly fizzled out somewhat since we left, though I still keep in touch and see about 5 or 6 of them. I'm due to start university in mid September, so I'm hoping that it'll be better! Most of the people I've met there through online chatrooms already seem lovely, so that's very encouraging.
I am so sorry about you being bullied. I have a feeling University will be amazing and you'll meet wonderful people.

Mia:hugs::hearthrob::redheartpump:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
It was OK, I guess. I enjoyed learning; I've always enjoyed learning things and wanted to go to college so badly. And I did, as a non-traditional student. But I have no desire to go to any of my class reunions or anything like that. There's a group of people from my class who do a monthly Saturday morning brunch at a local restaurant and I've been invited more times than I can count. I just don't go. I do attend Rick's class reunions (only because I have to), but that's it.

Part of it was that I got pregnant my junior year; people (classmates and their parents) will never let you forget about it. I did finish school, but finished with a correspondence course in my senior year; no way was I going back into that mess.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hated high school. I liked the academic part, but my dad was a teacher in the school so no one told me anything.

I was not all that attractive, wore glasses, did not have the "trendy" clothes, could not afford to go to the local hamburger place. I was nerdy and never had a date until the senior prom (with another nerd who got scholarships to MIT)

I never felt that I belonged, even though I had grown up with the kids. I was not athletic. I was also painfully shy. No really good memories at all.

I studied hard to get A's because that was the only way I could get a scholarship which was the only way I could go to college and escape the small town which I hated.

I did get to college, I did escape the small town for a major city. 'When I was in college people accepted me for who I was not my family's (lack of) position. Good riddance high school.

I think it is interesting how high school, whether it was a good or bad experience, shapes us. We can never really forget it even though we may want to. This question is the perfect example of that.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's weird that you never hear from people who were popular in high school :tongue:. Or maybe they just don't frequent cat forums.

I was homeschooled, and that's probably for the best. I don't fit in with most women even now, so high school would have been rough. I wish I knew how to deal with "mean girls" more effectively, because it does come up in workplace politics, but clearly just going to public school doesn't magically confer that ability on you.