Question of The Day. Sunday 25th of July

DownTheLane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not a fan of bugs at all. Although I'm finally pushing myself to get over my fear of spiders.
Mosquitoes are the worst tho imo, the itch that follows, horrible. I used to be allergic to then as well, so the bites would swell up like crazy

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Yellowjackets! I was weeding the raised beds in my garden last week and got a sting. I heard that angry noise that means bees on the attack. I ran into my house, but three of the buggers came with me. I took care of them all, but got at least seven stings. I had heard that it was a bad year for ground yellowjackets - I should have paid attention! I use 90+% isopropyl alcohol instead of gasoline to take care of them, but the nest is hidden in the weeds that I did not get to pull. I can get a bee protection suit for $26. Might be the way to go. I don't want to give up the plants in that raised bed!

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Granted they aren't insects, but I hate centipedes and the quick-moving spiders. I don't have a problem with most spiders though.

Also because I'm having issues with a wasp nest in the threshold of my front door and have been stung MANY times by them, I hate them. Then of course there are mosquitos that are just awful.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not insects, but I have a fear of spiders.

Also, I guess in the same family, would be ticks. In fact, they may soon pass spiders on my "hate list" as most spiders in Canada though scary (to me) aren't terribly large, or poisonous. Ticks, however, not only stealthily attach themselves to our skin, they can infect us with Lyme Disease.

I've, thankfully, never seen a cockroach or bed bug, but would probably freak out if they got into my house.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't hate insects. I tolerate most, but I can't stand mosquitos( I am not running a blood bank darnit!):argh: I can't stand Praying Mantis because they are creepy and they are savage insects (especially what they do after mating). 😱 I know that Slugs are Gastropods and not insects, but I have the biggest problems with them ending up in my feral kitties bowls. Seriously, I could have the bowls out for 10 mins and the manage to get to the bowls. It is so darn gross!!! 🤢 I have more troubles with them than insects.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I know I have posted it before but I have to retell my carpenter ant story because it was so awful. I had lived in my house maybe thirteen years and then one summer I started seeing big ants and little ants in the kitchen. After multiple attempts to kill them I called an exterminator who told me I had carpenter ants in the basement, that he would spray and that it could take six weeks to kill them all.. We had to be out of the house for the day and when I returned I walked down the basement and Into what could have been a horror film. The entire room was covered in dead and dying writhing carpenter ants, so many that you couldn’t see the floor, only what seemed to be millions of ants. The cats were as freaked out as me and I had to build them raised walkways to get to their litter boxes because they refused to touch the floor Or get anywhere near the ants. I understood that feeling.

For nearly two months I swept up dead ants and just to walk to the washing machine required you to push a broom in front of you if you didn’t want to step on dead ants which unpleasantly crackled and popped when stepped on, sounding like rice krispies.

The next summer I got suited up in basically a hazmat suit and pulled down the old wood paneling on the walls that they had apparently been living behind. It was terrifying and I literally had to remind myself to breathe as I worked but fortunately they were all dead.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Those camel crickets are scary, and I hate them, too. I don't mind spiders so much (they eat other bugs), but I hate flies and mosquitos. If they have to exist, they can exist far away from me.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Roaches are the worse. I never had a problem with them but I am terrified if I move into a senior apartment it will be infested with them.

Also hate earwigs and ticks.

When I was a kid I found a praying mantis egg case. I put it in a jar with holes in the lid and forgot about it. One morning I woke up with a bedroom full of baby praying mantis. My mother was not amused.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Roaches and flies. My parents' house was infested with them, and I had to call an exterminator. Two visits took care of them. Flies I hate because they are so annoying and difficult to get rid of. My garbage cans are in the garage, and every time I open the door, they swarm in. My basement floor is now covered with dead flies.

Box elder bugs are bad too, because they sting. They seem to congregate in the last warm days of fall.

I caught and squished a centipede last week, only to discover from Dr. Google that they are carnivorous, if you can call them that, and eat all the bad bugs that come in the house. If I see one again, I will leave it alone.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I've learned to like many of them. I'm fond of spiders, as long as they don't touch me. Which is good, since the corner of my office where my pc is seems to be a spider nursery. We have lots in our downstairs bathroom, too. DH got me liking them. He won't kill them.

I've learned to accept stinkbugs. And silverfish in my bathroom upstairs. The cats are fascinated by them, and try to sneak into the bathroom to watch them. And you thought your life was boring. :lol: