Question of The Day. Sunday 25th of July

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Summer is finally here and I can have the windows open all the time. We don't have an AC and it's usually comfortable enough with open windows and fans. The cats love it, but the only trouble is a lot of insects find their way indoors. I don't mind moths, flies can be swatted back outside and the spiders are all happy making webs under the outdoor lights. The one thing I hate is camel crickets! Huge, great monstrous things that like to lurk on the walls just about head height.

1627208027773.png

What insects do you hate the most?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm pretty good, but I draw the line of waking up to find that a huntsman had laid eggs in a crevice in the ceiling, and overnight this had happened directly above me (in the case below, it's on someone's oven, and Mum wasn't on my ceiling):

huntsman babies.jpg

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't mind spiders or most insects, but one I truly can't stand is those centipedes that get HUGE, often 2-3 inches long, with those really long, legs by the hundreds it seems. I have seen them under decaying logs too. I woke up once and saw one directly above my bed on the ceiling and it was at least 3 inches long. I spent 1/2 an hour swatting at it, and when you get them they squash into a disgusting pile of legs and guts. The next night I woke to one crawling on my legs! Needless to say, the whole house was sprayed the next day..,.,.,...

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suppose we should be happy that there are still insects on this earth as numerous birds and animals need them to survive. So we shouldn't really hate any of them. I am not so generous when it comes to insects in the house! Anything likely to lay eggs and multiply is not a welcome guest. I try to catch beetles, spiders, wasps, bees and dragonflies in a glass and put them outside or open a convenient window to allow them to escape. Ants can be a nuisance. We don't have really dangerous insects here in Germany.

Having 5 cats (plus 2 fosters) in my house, at the moment I believe I would really hate a flea, should one dare to show its face.
....... Although fleas are quite cute really. 🕷 🐞🐝 :butterfly: :popworm::bluedragonfly: . Please change the subject, I'm starting to itch!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wasps and hornets, anything (aggressive) that can sting scares me in the house. I don't react well to being stung and I fear for my kitties who would attempt to attack it. Bees are pretty tame and can be caught and saved to put back outside.
Others are earwigs, pine bugs and of course mosquitoes. Earwigs are just gross and creepy, pine bugs like to fly at me and get stuck in my hair, they hiss at you and I would not recommend getting bit by one! OUCH!!!! I assume I don't need to explain why I hate mosquitoes...everyone does. LOL!
Also due to recent issues, carpenter ants are now at the forefront of my mind. We recently had a nest in the wall, did cause some damage. Paid big bucks to get rid of them...I would freak if I found some in the house again.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The stinging insects can stay elsewhere, I know they have their place in the ecosystem but they can stay elsewhere. I was bitten by a brown recluse when I was a kid so I am not crazy about spiders. Again they have their place in the ecosystem but they can stay elsewhere.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
fleas,ticks,skeeters,(disease carriers)they seem to love my blood type :lol: and ants (danger to my tarantulas)and last is roaches,flies cause they are just dirty with the places they like to crawl around pretty much its so long as they leave me be and stay out of my domain i have no reason to kill/exterminate em.:)

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Having lived in apartments for ten years before buying my first house, I was am terrified of cockroaches. The thought of waking and seeing dozens of moving insects, horrible. I am also terrified of getting bedbugs because they are so hard to get rid of.
I hadn't thought of those, they can definitely stay away from me. A lot of people think that someone who gets either is dirty but that isn't true. Someone can be a fanatic or even OCD about cleanliness and get either one.

miss eveliina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Having lived in apartments for ten years before buying my first house, I was am terrified of cockroaches. The thought of waking and seeing dozens of moving insects, horrible. I am also terrified of getting bedbugs because they are so hard to get rid of.
Oh my gosh, bedbugs! Here’s a story:

I had an incident while in university at an apartment I was renting. I asked BEFORE moving in if they had any cases before. Of course they did not disclose anything to me. Anyway, a few weeks in I noticed bites on me and started getting bad reactions to them. Even though I wasn’t sure if it were bed bugs I still reported it, but nothing was done. I travelled back home for my best friends wedding then came back to my apartment. The same night I got back, I woke up and one was crawling near my face on the pillow. Needless to say I did not sleep that night and reported it in the morning. They had an exterminator come out and spray down my bedroom, but I did not want to live there anymore and moved out. Eveliina and I didn’t really have anywhere to go and it was a lot of scrambling about for a bit. I got rid of my furniture and most of my clothes, etc. I didn’t really want to risk any hanging around on my stuff. But we managed to find a place and never had anything like that happen again. On top of that, a Guy that I was dating at the time had just passed away and I was going through that as well. My goodness, it was a mess, but my Girl and I made it through - stronger than ever. :catlove:

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Summer is finally here and I can have the windows open all the time. We don't have an AC and it's usually comfortable enough with open windows and fans. The cats love it, but the only trouble is a lot of insects find their way indoors. I don't mind moths, flies can be swatted back outside and the spiders are all happy making webs under the outdoor lights. The one thing I hate is camel crickets! Huge, great monstrous things that like to lurk on the walls just about head height.

What insects do you hate the most?
Those don't really bother me another ugly and creepy one is the Spricket - I'll let you google if you would like.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
June bugs. They latch onto your hair and give you no personal space! One got in the house the other night and landed on my arm. My first instinct was to flick it but then I couldn’t find it! 😫 Beetles in general are on my list for their little hook feet.

Stinkbugs cause problems in my gardens too so those gotta go.

Mosquitoes have been awful this year
I’m really not a fan of moths. Outside if they keep their distance I’m ok. Just don’t come in and don’t touch me!!