Question of The Day. Sunday 23rd of January

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
First question: Would anyone like to take over Sunday's Question of The Day thread? Please send me a PM if you are interested.

:)

Second question; What are you reading these days?

I'm reading Love In The Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez. It's a good one, although the male characters in it are a little difficult to like.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm reading Chicken Soup for the Soul, The Magic of Cats by Amy Newmark. I've just started reading books again. This is my 2nd book in the past 20 years to read. I always loved to read but ever since I had Graves disease it has been difficult for me to read books.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All my books are stacked in the cellar (my foster-cats' room) - removed from the bookshelves to make way for kitchen stuff. Yes, I'm buying a new fitted kitchen and my old kitchen is a building site and my office/library/guest room/emergency cat and kitten room is now my make-do kitchen. I've looked for a book to read among the very small, older books on shelves in the living room. Unfortunately most of these books have very small print, the pages are turning yellow and, I may as well throw them out. But 2 books did catch my eye and I started both:
Dickens: Great Expectations (A re-read, possibly for the 3rd or 4th time), but Dickens is always worth reading!
and (you won't believe this)
T.E. Lawrence: Seven Pillars of Wisdom
Well, I had to read excerpts from this for an external English Literature Examination (GCE Ordinary Level) at school (I was 15-16 years old at the time) together with Milton's poems and Shakespeare's Henry IV, part 1.
I have never looked at the book since and wondered if I would now find it easier to detect the bathos. Sixty years ago I had to read the book out loud even to understand it. I'm only on Chapter 2 and can't believe what I'm reading. Obviously the first chapters of this book were not included in our schoolgirl's edition. :lol:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue for February's book club because it already came in for me at the library after I put a hold on it. I really like it so far, but I'm not too far in because I'm only reading in the short amount of time between the baby being transferred to her crib (and she's been difficult about that!) and going to bed myself.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I waited for awhile but finally was able to pick up my copy of this book at the library yesterday - Empire of Pain by Patrick Radden Keefe. It's very lengthy so I hope to finish before it's due since I doubt I can renew it because of the wait list. So far it's a great read! 👍

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Zen and the Art of Saving the Planet Thich Nhat Hanh

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Currently reading "Lunatics, Imbeciles and Idiots: A History of Insanity in Nineteenth-Century Britain and Ireland" by Burtinshaw and Burt and "Tracing Your Ancestors in Lunatic Asylums" by Michell Higgs. Sooooooo interesting! As well as complex and enlightening. They are part of my readings for the courses in my graduate program this winter.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
First question: Would anyone like to take over Sunday's Question of The Day thread? Please send me a PM if you are interested.

I'm reading Love In The Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez. It's a good one, although the male characters in it are a little difficult to like.
You might really enjoy his short stories…less overwhelming in the male character dept!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am between books at the moment. I finished The Ones Left Behind by Elizabeth Johns (one of my favorite authors) and I started re-reading one of her other books (Dark of Knight) because I just couldn't decide what I was in the mood to read yesterday.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Currently reading Pain of Betrayal: An epic fantasy political drama (The Wallkeeper Trilogy, Book 2) by Carin Hahn,
Book 1 was Burden of Power. (She’s not ready to rule. But when the king goes mad, she doesn't have a choice. )
They're on Kindle Prime and a pretty easy read. I've had a hard time lately finding a book to get interested in (mainly because I only read free Kindle downloads these days), so was happy to find this series.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not really reading anything at the moment. I have a bunch of books to read but I've been doing crossword puzzles before bed instead of reading. I have to return a couple of books soon, so I should be reading The Matzah Ball and a graphic novel called Seek You: A Journey Through American Loneliness.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Currently reading sales ads for Snow Blowers. Trying to decide if I really need one.