Question of the Day, Sunday 17 November, 2019

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
HELLO EVERYONE AND HAPPY SUNDAY!!!

Kind of keeping with the romance theme, how did you meet your wife, partner, significant other, husband? Where did you go on your first date? If you don't have one, do you want one? or tell us about an ex or one who is longer with you. If you fancy someone where would you like to go on your first date?

My ex-husband and I went out for dinner. I knew him for a few years before the first date through friends. He sent in his representative, "I don't eat red meat, nor watch anything but PBS, blah, blah." I spilled broccoli-cheese soup all over the front of my dress. We then went to a place for after dinner drinks where his ex-wife showed up and sat with us. Our waitress was an ex girlfriend.

I have lived alone for over 20 years and not certain if I want to live with someone or be married. I would like to date but haven't for awhile.I would like to have tea with someone or dinner, then watch a movie but not in a theater.

Update on ex. His third divorce was just finalized.

What about you?

Last edited:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Michele and I 'met' in a bar, although we lived only about a mile apart, and I hadn't seen her in 9 years. I was home on leave for a sister's wedding, and had nothing better to do, so I walked to the local bar, spent some time there, and was about to leave when she walked in with a friend of hers, her grandfather, and an uncle. It was her 18th birthday, and she was having her first legal beer. I got invited over to their table, one thing led to another, and before I had to return to duty we were going steady. The next time I came home we got engaged, and it wasn't until my discharge that we actually went on a date, but I don't remember where, and 14 months later we were married, for going on 48 years now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Excuse me. I know it's an old-fashioned term, but we exchanged class rings- she was a senior in high school at the time, so that's what we called it.
No,no, no!! I love that term!!! That is what we called it as well!!!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Well, this new guy had recently moved into the neighborhood. We were having a sledding party and he walked down to see what was going on. I was 12 and he was 16 and had just gotten his drivers license. We started sledding together. A GF was there, too, and all she did was talk about how he was interested in her so very much. And I was devastated. He walked down the next day to talk to me and that was pretty much it. To be honest, he really didn't know how old I was at that time. We've been married now for almost 49 years.

I didn't marry the boy next door; I married the boy right up the road from me.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, this new guy had recently moved into the neighborhood. We were having a sledding party and he walked down to see what was going on. I was 12 and he was 16 and had just gotten his drivers license. We started sledding together. A GF was there, too, and all she did was talk about how he was interested in her so very much. And I was devastated. He walked down the next day to talk to me and that was pretty much it. To be honest, he really didn't know how old I was at that time. We've been married now for almost 49 years.

I didn't marry the boy next door; I married the boy right up the road from me.
Me too. Michele and I lived on the same road.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I met my ex at a dance, he was the road manager of the group playing there. He lived 3 hours drive away so we only saw each other when they were playing near me. After a while I travelled to see him and vice versa. He moved down to my town 10 months later. We were together 21 years, married 19. Been divorced a long time now but I recently found out he died earlier this year. One good thing to come out of it is that I am now in touch with 3 out of 6 of his siblings. Must admit it feels a bit odd.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We first met in a nightclub and our friends were friends. We hated each other at first but 3 years later I didn't even know how it happened we kissed. Probably to much vodka :lol: That was it for me I was smitten our first date was a meal. And we have been happily married 8 years.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
We met our fist week in college, August 2012. I was playing ping pong with another friend and saw B sitting in a corner, by himself, eating pizza, so I invited him to join us. Later on, another friend invited me to play some frisbee. When I got there, the game was over, but B was there. We wound up swapping phone numbers to hang out. He later told me that he was nursing an abscessed tooth and couldn't believe that a cute girl approached him and talked to him with his face all swollen (he is very tall and lean, which makes any sort of swelling even more dramatic). I honestly didn't even notice it. :lol:

Our first "date" was at a 24-hour McDonald's across the street from our dorms. We both couldn't sleep, so we wandered over and talked in a booth until about 3am. Now, B was raised very, very poor, so he hadn't been exposed to a lot of things that I always assumed were normal...like chain restaurants. Our first real date, I believe, was at a Red Lobster per my request (Crabfest, yall…). Poor B didn't know what to think- you'd have thought I took him to the Ritz Carlton. I remember him being fascinated by the cloth napkins and asking why we had two forks (one for salad, one for dinner). He has been exposed to much more since then!

The rest is history. We got married in September 2017.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kind of keeping with the romance theme, how did you meet your wife, partner, significant other, husband? Where did you go on your first date? If you don't have one, do you want one? or tell us about an ex or one who is longer with you. If you fancy someone where would you like to go on your first date?
I'm not sure if I want to get married anymore. I was always into romance, but now I think I would just like to live alone with my cats.
First date would probably be lunch or dinner at one of my favorite diners, nothing too fancy or expensive. I probably wouldn't date online again, it just takes too long to find out everything about them and by that time you are in too deep. I'd rather date a friend that I already know.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We first met in a nightclub and our friends were friends. We hated each other at first but 3 years later I didn't even know how it happened we kissed. Probably to much vodka :lol: That was it for me I was smitten our first date was a meal. And we have been happily married 8 years.
Hate? The last time I saw Michele, 9 years prior to that night in the bar, I had told her that if I caught her, I would rip her arm off and beat her over the head with the bloody end of it.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I met my husband on a blind date, something probably unheard of now. :eek: I basically went out of obligation to the friend who fixed us up and never in my wildest dreams expected anything to come of it. That was a long time ago and we've been happily married ever since.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I met / knew of my now husband thru mutual friends. Well, I was dating a guy and his best friend was my husbands best friends cousin, so sometimes at parties and such we would say hi. There was no interest at that time.
Me and the guy eventually broke up, but I was still friends with many of the people of that group. So when two of them were set to get married, we were both invited and went to their stag and doe party. That is where we connected a bit.
Then, we both ended up at the wedding couples house one day (about a week later) because I was helping the bride with table center pieces, and it just so happened that he was there to help the groom with some computer stuff. We exchanged #'s at that time.
As for our first official date...well, I hope it doesn't predict some bad omen or something.
At one part of our date, we went for a walk on the boardwalk around one of our local parks/lake and came across a small crowd. Some poor man had what we assume was a heart attack (based on witnesses) while he was kayaking. He fell into the water and someone had gone in to pull him to shore and was performing CPR. The guy seemed to know what he was doing so we stayed, but hung back in case he needed us, considering the sheer nonsense and hysteria of the other people around.
At that point the ambulance was trying to get to us, but we were at the bottom of a bit of a ravine near the water's shore, and the ground was not very level. So the ambulance had to stay at the top of the ravine and the paramedics brought down the gurney. I felt so bad for the medics, people were calling them names and yelling at them to hurry...yeah...that's helpful. You try to maneuver yourself down a rocky ravine with heavy equipment. :rolleyes3: They looked around, made eye contact with my husband and me and asked if we could help. Considering we were the only people who seemed sane and capable, other than CPR guy, we obliged. We were tasked with holding the gurney in place as they transferred the guy and strapped him in. One look at this guy and I knew he was gone, CPR guy tried so hard.
Soooo, yeah, that was our first date...

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We met online through Match. May 2016. We lived about 10 minutes away from each other, but probably wouldn't have met otherwise.

We met up for drinks in a local restaurant/bar and then took a walk at a nearby park. I'd been on about three dates with another guy who was okay (better than the others I'd cut off after two dates), but I wasn't 100% on, and when I met my husband, I knew it was going to be different, so despite the rules of online dating saying you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket right away, I stopped with the other guy and was exclusive even before he asked me to be his girlfriend.

We've been happily married eight days now.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
We met the first day of our first class in college. In retrospect we'd been in the same place a couple of times, but had only spoken briefly (I needed directions) once. He hated me instantly because he thought I was a silly, trite girl. In truth, I was. I thought he was the most handsome guy I'd ever met and kept trying to get him to like me. We sat next together in class.

This was in the time before calculators (!) and we had to use slide rules in this chemistry class. I had my late father's old wooden one that was sticky and very hard to use, even if I'd know what I was doing. Robert, on the other hand, was a slide rule whiz who'd won competitions with one. He also taught people to use them. I guess he took pity on me because he agreed to teach me. I was careful to learn enough not to discourage him but not enough for him to think I knew enough. He still didn't really like me, though.

Then, in early November, we were sitting class and we looked at each other. If you don't believe in instant love I can assure you it happens. He called me that night and asked me to the upcoming football game. I accepted instantly. I don't think we saw one play of that game! We never dated anyone else.

All we wanted was to be together. We didn't go out a lot. We just wanted to talk (and smooch a bit) for hours. The rest of that part of the story is in another post about how we eventually eloped to Mexico. It's quite a tale in itself.

We've been married 54 years and still going strong.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We met at school...I was in the 7th grade and he was a junior.We went to a lot of school functions...sports games,dances,etc.....sometimes we were chaperoned by my Mom.Then he went in the Army for 3 years and we married after he came home for good.Seems like we "dated" for almost 5 years before we married.Love of my life!