Question of the Day Sunday 13 October, 2019

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
GOOD MORNING AND HAPPY SUNDAY!!!

This is one of those what if questions.

If you had 3 million USD, taxes already taken out; this is after you've donated to all the charities, had shelters built for humans and animals, built clinics for the poor, hired staff for them, given to friends and family members, and had
someone investing a good sum, what would you do with the 3 million? (The above is just what I would do.) But you would have 3mil taxes taken out

I would definitely move to a more moderate climate so my pain levels wouldn't be as bad, perhaps have 2 other homes. I would maintain a residence here. Buy a new wardrobe so all my clothes were very soft which again has everything to do with pain levels. (This is the 19th the anniversary of the surgery that changed my life and I always think a lot about it.)

So, how about you? What would you do?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would buy a large plot of land, build my dream house with my dream garden, whole new wardrobe and spend the rest on building a cat sanctuary with the required staff to take good care of all the cats in need of help.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dream house and I would definitely start some kind of cat fund to help ferrel cat's.I would talk to local vets and set up a fund for emergency care my vet has one that will knock a small amount off treatment they also contact the RSPCA somtimes for help with big bills. It would be nice I think if you've rushed to the vet worried about cost for them to say don't worry it's covered.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmm. Interesting question...

Like you, Mia6 Mia6 , I live with chronic pain, so ultra soft clothes and moving to a better climate for my pain would definitely be up there on my priorities too. But then, I have a fantastic PCP, so I maybe wouldn't want to move and start the process of finding doctors all over again.

I think I'd buy a house better suited to my needs than where I am now. Somewhere better laid out for kitties, with space for a craft room for me as well as my own little annex of rooms as well as good living space for my parents. Just so I can feel a bit separate and in my own space, and a little more independent (even though I am dependent on my parents for a lot, sadly).

It would also have a good setup for Collie (my pony-baby), so I can get to see her more often. That would be stables, field and a well lit barn to play with her in on my good days.

Lastly, it would have a garden area that could be fully enclosed to make a good sized cat enclosure so the kitties could go outside safely. And the inside would be catified as much as possible, so the entire house was kitty heaven!

I'd also buy all the aids, tech and things for chronic illness that would help me manage my illnesses better.

I love V verna davies 's idea of building a cat sanctuary, so maybe that as well.

I have big dreams, I guess :lol:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Build my dream house and go ahead and retire. I would also set up a fund at the emergency vet clinic and make sure it stays funded. I remember once when I had Patches there an elderly woman had her little dog there. They were helping her apply for Care Credit. That was a number of years ago and I still think about her occasionally. She was probably on a small fixed income so I don't know if she qualified and if she did if she would be able to make the payments. It would be nice if there was a fund there that they could draw from under those circumstances.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm. Interesting question...

Like you, Mia6 Mia6 , I live with chronic pain, so ultra soft clothes and moving to a better climate for my pain would definitely be up there on my priorities too. But then, I have a fantastic PCP, so I maybe wouldn't want to move and start the process of finding doctors all over again.

I think I'd buy a house better suited to my needs than where I am now. Somewhere better laid out for kitties, with space for a craft room for me as well as my own little annex of rooms as well as good living space for my parents. Just so I can feel a bit separate and in my own space, and a little more independent (even though I am dependent on my parents for a lot, sadly).

It would also have a good setup for Collie (my pony-baby), so I can get to see her more often. That would be stables, field and a well lit barn to play with her in on my good days.

Lastly, it would have a garden area that could be fully enclosed to make a good sized cat enclosure so the kitties could go outside safely. And the inside would be catified as much as possible, so the entire house was kitty heaven!

I'd also buy all the aids, tech and things for chronic illness that would help me manage my illnesses better.

I love V verna davies 's idea of building a cat sanctuary, so maybe that as well.

I have big dreams, I guess :lol:
Sorry you have chronic pain. I have an amazing pain doc but have to go to the Cleveland Clinic every 3 months.
He is well known in the field so maybe he could refer a doc in one of the countries I would be living in. Maybe
your doc could do that if you wanted to move.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry you have chronic pain. I have an amazing pain doc but have to go to the Cleveland Clinic every 3 months.
He is well known in the field so maybe he could refer a doc in one of the countries I would be living in. Maybe
your doc could do that if you wanted to move.
I'm sorry you do too. No one should have to live like this :hugs:

Unfortunately, it doesn't quite work like that here (I'm in the UK). Doctors are chosen according to catchment areas, so my choices would be very limited. I'm so lucky with my current primary doc that I'd be very scared to change (especially because of my complex history).

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Buy a plot of land (~100 acres) in the mountains. Build dream house with everything I envision. Start a wildlife management plan for my property- no species in particular, just ensuring that there is an abundance of cover and food sources.

Help my in-laws pay off my FIL's cancer treatments. To be honest, I have no idea how they are staying afloat, as they are poor and his insurance is horrendous.

Donate to no-kill shelters/cat sanctuaries. If I ran a sanctuary, I'd have 250 cats!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would buy acreage, and build my dream home.
I would farm veggies and eggs.
Open a modest cat rescue on my property.
Retire from my current career, and get back into my hobbies including new ones I've always wanted to do, and even turn them into little businesses. I'm still to young to "retire", so I would still want to work to continue to make a living, it would just be nice to have the peace of mind that I don't have to worry about it as much if I've already made investments and such for the future, and also, it would be things I could do on MY time that I really enjoy doing.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I would buy my mom a house on a large lot or buy land and build her a house on it. Then, I would buy her a functional car because she definitely needs one of those. Then, I'd take her out and buy her new clothing because she needs new clothes. So, basically, I'd buy my mom everything she needs. This kind of makes me sad because I know I won't be able to afford any of these things for a long time...

I'd probably save some and split the rest with my best friend who is also struggling financially.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Buy a private jet and a private island. One minute I'm shoveling snow, the next minute I'm on a jet getting ready to sit in the silence, on my own beach, with a book in one hand and a drink with a little paper umbrella in the other 👍
If I keep stashing some money away, I figure I could do this by the year 10, 785. Wonder if I'll still be around :spew:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would buy my mom a house on a large lot or buy land and build her a house on it. Then, I would buy her a functional car because she definitely needs one of those. Then, I'd take her out and buy her new clothing because she needs new clothes. So, basically, I'd buy my mom everything she needs. This kind of makes me sad because I know I won't be able to afford any of these things for a long time...

I'd probably save some and split the rest with my best friend who is also struggling financially.
The thought and the wishing you could sure is sweet, though :wave2: I bet she's very proud of you for your giving nature.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Buy a nice but modest house, pay off my debts, quit my job until I finish grad school, travel to all the places I want to go to like Norway, Iceland, Greece, Croatia, Peru, Ireland, Italy, New Zealand, Japan, China, etc.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would take care of my brother and sister - pay off mortgage etc. Then I would buy a large property, build my dream house (nothing huge). I would buy a new basic car. I would retire and do my sewing for fun.

I would donate a large chunk to my shelter, and other local rescue groups.

Then I would have a place for cats that are not easily adoptable to live out their lives cage free, with catios etc. I would probably have hundreds, but would have a staff to take care of them and a full time vet.

I would also travel to the places I dream about -the pyramids. Machu Pichu, Stonehenge, an African safari, to name a few.

I would have "people" to do laundry, cleaning, accounting stuff, - all the "chores".

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would put it in the bank and use it for me & the cats to live on. Sorry, not sharing it because 3 million probably won't last that long. If it was $300 million, I would definitely share it. But too scared of going back to poverty to waste it. I'd get us a nice house or apartment in town, new dishes, clothes, linens, furniture, appliances, electronics, car, etc. and use the rest to live on.