Question of the Day, Sunday 10 November, 2019

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and Happy Sunday!!

If you like to read, what are some of your favorite books? Do you read them over and over?

Mine are:

Sophie's Choice-William
Styron

On the Road-Jack Kerouac
"Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life. "
One of my favorite quotes ever.

Gift from the Sea-Anne Morrow Lindbergh

The Godfather-Mario Puzzo

Killing me Softly-Nicci French

Rebecca-Daphne de
Maurier

there are many more.......

Last edited:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am an avid reader but dont like to re-read unless many years has passed and I have forgotten the story, so font have a favourite book but I do have favourite authors such as Sidney Sheldon, Lee Child, Harlon Coben to name but a few.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I love to read. And yes, I'll re-read books. I've read many of Stephen King's books so many times I've lost count. Same with LOTR. And Outlander. Although I will say that, since I've been able to get ebooks from the library at any time of the day or night, my re-reading has slowed to a crawl. I'm also a Preston/Child fan and was working on re-reading the Pendergast series; I've gotten stalled due to shed work and such.

I will also take cookbooks to bed and read them like one would read a novel. They can be fascinating in their own right.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like all thrillers and mysteries. I have reread some and it's getting easier now that I'm older and forgot some in the past. It's weird to read about jukeboxes, telephone booths and having to find a phone now, so I prefer new ones. My Kindle is about wore out, it has lasted ten years! I have almost complete hardback collections from Anne Rice, Stephen King, Alex Cross, Jeffrey Deaver, and Dean koontz. Plus many more!

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like many types of books. My favorite science-fiction writer was Isaac Asimov, followed by Ray Bradbury. I also like histories, and Stephen E. Ambrose was my favorite there, although the works of Brian Kilmeade are also interesting as well. For a diversion, I like the works of Louis L'Amour, and if another book by another author piques my interest, I will read it as well. Most of my books have been read and re-read many times, becoming like old friends that drop in to visit for a time.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I like anything thriller/psychological/horror. I have recently been on a John Grisham kick. I like Stephen King, but he gets so wordy at times that I can get bored. John Saul is another King-esque author that I enjoy.

My favorite book is Wuthering Heights. I try to read it every year.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably my all time favorite book is a Stephen King novel, Duma Key. Like all his novels it does have an element of horror/supernatural but this is also a beautifully written novel about perseverance and resilience. There is a phrase used often in the novel, “I can do this” that helped me through a very difficult time.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I am an avid reader but dont like to re-read unless many years has passed and I have forgotten the story
:yeah: I feel the same way, never read a book twice unless it's been a long time and I forgot parts of the story.

Since renewing our expired library cards, DH and I have been spending time at our local coffee shop reading. Now that the days are getting shorter and it's much colder out I feel like there's nothing better than a good book and a warm cup of java. I'm currently reading Notorious RBG, what an amazing lady. 👍

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I rarely re-read books, but I read a lot. One of my favorites is Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl. My goal for the last couple of years has been to read 100 books and last I checked I have 13 or 14 more to go for this year. I'm going to have to lower my goal for next year for my own sanity though since I'm in grad school and still working full-time. When I choose books, I typically go for non-genre fiction (so not mystery or romance, aka anything predictable) or nonfiction on a ton of different topics, but most often science-related or medical history.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read lots of books, and I can't really say which one is my favorite. I love mysteries and biographies, but I read lots of other things too. I do reread my books if I bought them or they were given to me, but most of them time I get library books. I just reread Schindler's List and discovered some of the pages are missing and repeated, so off it goes to the AAUW book sale.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have favourites because I read so many books but I do enjoy romance novels - light pick-me-ups really do help uplift my mood, so I've been reading a lot of Sophie Kinsella's books lately and I like her writing style a lot. However, on a more serious note, I do enjoy a lot of history books/books set in the past, both fiction and non fiction (I mostly tend to read a lot of books around the Holocaust and WWII since I've always been most interested in this particular and important part of history).

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I read every day - I have since I was 5. I rarely re-read. The exception is my Complete Sherlock Holmes. I keep that to read if I don't have any new books. It never gets old.
I mostly read historical novels, and mysteries. Agatha Christie is great. And there are some good series with cats. (I can't recall the names of the authors, but the cats in 2 of the series are Sneaky Pie Brown, and Yum-Yum and Koko)

And I don't keep books except the Sherlock Holmes - I don't have room.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like to read Karen Kingsbury books. She writes Amish fiction. I also like books to read about Civil War Plantation days.