QUESTION OF THE DAY, SEPTEMBER 8, 2021

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Junior year of college. I was hanging out in one building waiting for my next class to start. Some classmates were discussing planes and stuff but I didn't pay any attention to them. Later I went to drop off something at the department secretary's office and the professor who had an office next door had the radio on and I heard the news about a terrorist attack and planes crashing into the World Trade Center towers. Cell phones were pretty much unheard of then so I had to trek back to my dorm and turned on the tv to get all the news.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An addendum: Michele and I had lined up a long weekend trip to West Virginia, as we needed to make arrangements weeks in advance. Our motel was on a hilltop just east of Wheeling, and I remember the sight when the planes were finally allowed to fly again, and how the sight of the first contrails in the sky, after the long absence made me feel: still angry, but with a small ray of hope.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I was in NYC, further uptown by the Empire State Building.

I am grateful nobody I know personally was harmed, however, it was a terrible day for anyone who was in the city, regardless of where you were.

/waves at my fellow New York'ers on the thread.

A co-worker's wife called the office when she found out. I thought she was joking. Turned on a radio in the office and heard what was happening. Her husband arrived soon after, he had walked to the office from his apartment so he already knew from being in the street.

Then we heard about the 2nd plane, went downstairs to look down Fifth Avenue (we had a clear view down 5th to the WTC) and saw....smoke, and no building. It was horrifying.

Spent the remainder of the day with him and our boss (who arrived in between all this) trying to figure out what to do. Leave the office? Try to head home? Could we get home? Or even cross-town? And worst, what if the Empire State Building was also a target?

To make a very very long story short, getting home to NJ was impossible. Couldn't get into the subway and busses were jam packed with people trying to escape the city.

Another friend of mine offered me her apartment for the night. She, had been downtown when it happened and literally ran out of the area before the dust cloud got to her. She was going to stay at her boyfriend's place instead, and she left the key with her doorman. I don't know what I would have done otherwise.

I remember going out to grab food, somewhere, because in spite of everything, NY is tough and some places were still open despite all this. the streets were pretty much empty, it was a bizarre experience. Went to work the next morning as usual, but did go home back to NJ early.
I was working in Midtown very close to the Empire State Building. I knew something was going on when I saw the looks of worry on everyone's faces at my work place as I entered the place. A co worker quickly told me what was going on. I thought it was a plane accident, but then another co worker ran out of his office and exclaimed "Another plane hit the other tower!!!" And then he brought out this portable TV he had and we saw it with our own eyes. Gasping and other sounds of horror came out of my co workers mouths, with some already breaking out of tears. Some had family members working near the WTC and they immediately tried to call them, but couldn't get through. In fact for the rest of the day all the circuits was busy and it was extremely hard to reach people. I went into another office and prayed with a few co workers who had family members very near vicinity of WTC. We were beginning to wonder since we were so close to ESB, if it was the next target.😟 We got an annoucement from the Building Management that they were advised by the NYPD to not let us out yet because it would cause too much chaos and they wanted an orderly evacuation. Another close coworker with a handicap daughter told me she had to leave. She could not remain here one more minute if we were in danger and she picked up her bag--gave me a hug and left. The anxiety was building up as more time elapsed before they finally let us out (after 10:30pm).🤨 By that time people already mobbed the busses and it was very hard to get around. A panick-stricken thought came to my head. My brother works for a financial firm in Midtown, BUT he visits the WTC at times. I tried call him to no avail. I was walking with two coworkers who wanted to stop at a church and light some candles, so I went with them. Not long after that I decided to walk to my brother's workplace downtown. As I was walking a man in front of me who looked shell-shocked just collapsed on the side walk. I ran to him and ask if he was okay and gave him a bottle of water I just bought from a newsstand. He took it and drank it. Some other people came along and tended to him, so I thought it was okay to leave him. I then tried to continue my trek, but at some point I had this strong feeling my brother wasn't at his workplace. So I prayed some more and then tried to go home. As mentioned, busses was thronged. Also, the entire subway system was shut down out of fear of another terrorist attack. I had no choice to walk all 15 miles home. I met a nice lady along the way and she became my walking buddy. We walked on bridges and highways until she reached her home. She wished me well and I had to walk the rest of the way myself. It was late afternoon before I was in the last few miles of my journey where I was spotted by a family member. They drove me home and he told me my brother was fine and staying with a friend in the city. That night as exhausted as I was I watched the horrifying scenes on the screen playing over and over again. I cried for days. It was the most heartbreaking day of my life (as it was for our nation as the world mourned with us). I heard of a few people who died that I casually knew. Such a cruel act to take so many people away from us that day. RIP 9/11 victims. We will never forget. 🎗🌹🌹🌹❤

One more thing and this one chills me to the bone. I was called for an interview in WTC the year before. The people who were interviewing me liked my resume and work experience and really wanted to met me. I went up the elevator to the top floor, but as I was going up I had a terrible feeling. I just could not place why I was feeling so unnerved. I didn't like the idea of how high up in the building this company was located, but outside of that bias, there was no justifiable reason for feeling so unnerved. A bad feeling that jusy wouldn't go away. Well, I deliberately threw off the interview and was kicking myself for being "such a wasteful idiot". I was upset with myself for quite awhile and kept asking what is wrong with me? On September 11th, I knew why I had those feelings. That company was Cantor Fitzgerald and everyone who worked there and was present that day perished!😭😭😭 Even to this day, I am shaken to the core. I could have been another victim of 9/11. It still can't get my head around it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My neighbor worked in downtown Chicago at the Board of Trade, and he said they closed the trading floor and sent everyone home about 10 a.m., CDT. Everyone felt in danger. We'll never know, but I think Flight 93, which went down in Pennsylvania, was destined for the US Capitol. People still say the White House, but it's low on the ground and shrouded by trees. The Capitol, however, stands way up high on a hill, making it a fine target. Can you imagine how demoralizing that would have been for the country if the Capitol had been destroyed?

In the following days, I stood on my deck, looking at the silent skies. No vapor trails, no hum, nothing. It's the only time in my life there were no planes in the air. Eerie.

We will never forget. America was under attack.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I got home late that night from an overtime at work, turned on the TV in the living room as per my usual routine, and there I saw 2 buildings in smoke. I initially thought it was a movie. Then I saw a slow-mo replay. It was then I realized I was watching the news.

My knees felt suddenly weak as I dropped to the sofa, mouth open wide.
Then I started crying.

I still remember that to this day.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was working in Midtown very close to the Empire State Building. I knew something was going on when I saw the looks of worry on everyone's faces at my work place as I entered the place. A co worker quickly told me what was going on. I thought it was a plane accident, but then another co worker ran out of his office and exclaimed "Another plane hit the other tower!!!" And then he brought out this portable TV he had and we saw it with our own eyes. Gasping and other sounds of horror came out of my co workers mouths, with some already breaking out of tears. Some had family members working near the WTC and they immediately tried to call them, but couldn't get through. In fact for the rest of the day all the circuits was busy and it was extremely hard to reach people. I went into another office and prayed with a few co workers who had family members very near vicinity of WTC. We were beginning to wonder since we were so close to ESB, if it was the next target.😟 We got an annoucement from the Building Management that they were advised by the NYPD to not let us out yet because it would cause too much chaos and they wanted an orderly evacuation. Another close coworker with a handicap daughter told me she had to leave. She could not remain here one more minute if we were in danger and she picked up her bag--gave me a hug and left. The anxiety was building up as more time elapsed before they finally let us out (after 10:30pm).🤨 By that time people already mobbed the busses and it was very hard to get around. A panick-stricken thought came to my head. My brother works for a financial firm in Midtown, BUT he visits the WTC at times. I tried call him to no avail. I was walking with two coworkers who wanted to stop at a church and light some candles, so I went with them. Not long after that I decided to walk to my brother's workplace downtown. As I was walking a man in front of me who looked shell-shocked just collapsed on the side walk. I ran to him and ask if he was okay and gave him a bottle of water I just bought from a newsstand. He took it and drank it. Some other people came along and tended to him, so I thought it was okay to leave him. I then tried to continue my trek, but at some point I had this strong feeling my brother wasn't at his workplace. So I prayed some more and then tried to go home. As mentioned, busses was thronged. Also, the entire subway system was shut down out of fear of another terrorist attack. I had no choice to walk all 15 miles home. I met a nice lady along the way and she became my walking buddy. We walked on bridges and highways until she reached her home. She wished me well and I had to walk the rest of the way myself. It was late afternoon before I was in the last few miles of my journey where I was spotted by a family member. They drove me home and he told me my brother was fine and staying with a friend in the city. That night as exhausted as I was I watched the horrifying scenes on the screen playing over and over again. I cried for days. It was the most heartbreaking day of my life (as it was for our nation as the world mourned with us). I heard of a few people who died that I casually knew. Such a cruel act to take so many people away from us that day. RIP 9/11 victims. We will never forget. 🎗🌹🌹🌹❤

One more thing and this one chills me to the bone. I was called for an interview in WTC the year before. The people who were interviewing me liked my resume and work experience and really wanted to met me. I went up the elevator to the top floor, but as I was going up I had a terrible feeling. I just could not place why I was feeling so unnerved. I didn't like the idea of how high up in the building this company was located, but outside of that bias, there was no justifiable reason for feeling so unnerved. A bad feeling that jusy wouldn't go away. Well, I deliberately threw off the interview and was kicking myself for being "such a wasteful idiot". I was upset with myself for quite awhile and kept asking what is wrong with me? On September 11th, I knew why I had those feelings. That company was Cantor Fitzgerald and everyone who worked there and was present that day perished!😭😭😭 Even to this day, I am shaken to the core. I could have been another victim of 9/11. It still can't get my head around it.
All of this hits close to me. The terror, fear, unknown of what to do and how to do it that day. And it didn't go away - I spent the whole next year in a shear panic while commuting fearing anyone who wore a backpack.

I used to live in Battery Park City, and had moved a few months before this happened back to NJ. I used to commute through WTC every day and most likely would have been heading uptown at the time the first plane hit. Another thing I'm grateful for - moving out before this happened.

I now work downtown, in the financial district (I'm on Broad Street). When I was being interviewed (12 years ago) it triggered those feelings but was able to talk myself out of the trepidation I felt about working in that area.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like so many of us,I was at work in my office .Someone came by and said a plane had crashed into the WTC and we all thought it was an accident.At the time,there were 2 break rooms...one smoking and one not,and they both had tv's.I made my way to the smokers lounge and stood there in disbelief as the second plane hit,and then we all knew what was up.So scary and so many were afraid...on their phones with their families.Come to find out that 2 of our associates in my store lost family that day....one overnight associate lost a cousin (he was a fireman) and another girl lost her brother.May we never forget.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

One of the girls I worked with lost her brother that day.... he was a network engineer for Cantor Fitzgerald.I'm so glad you had that premonition!

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
All of this hits close to me. The terror, fear, unknown of what to do and how to do it that day. And it didn't go away - I spent the whole next year in a shear panic while commuting fearing anyone who wore a backpack.

I used to live in Battery Park City, and had moved a few months before this happened back to NJ. I used to commute through WTC every day and most likely would have been heading uptown at the time the first plane hit. Another thing I'm grateful for - moving out before this happened.

I now work downtown, in the financial district (I'm on Broad Street). When I was being interviewed (12 years ago) it triggered those feelings but was able to talk myself out of the trepidation I felt about working in that area.
I remember the fear and how surreal it was post 9/11. When I travelled through Penn Station there were The National Guard everywhere armed to the tee and GSD guard dogs posted next to some of them. I remember the Memorial with pictures of those missing/deceased on the walls with candles all around. People were very somber and kind to one another. American flags were everywhere in my neighborhood, everyone hung there American flag. My brother had a huge one in the back of his SUV. Patriotism was at it's highest. I visited WTC after the clean up and I never I could fully describe what I felt standing there thinking about all those people who perished. I thought about my fate as well. I felt a special connection there, standing and mourning the victims.

I understand how relieved you were to have move away from BPC before this horrible tragedy happened. Thank goodness you didn't have to to take the train that went under the WTC. (I have taking the E train through there many times myself in the past.) A year after 9/11 I also ended up working downtown and I really was not crazy about it, but my company moved down there (taking advantage of that tax incentive program to bring businesses back to the downtown area). I got use to it and put all worrisome thoughts aside. The South Seaport was one of my favorite hangouts. I ate in the restaurants (especially Pizzeria Uno's). I also enjoyed that mall they had there.

I can't believe we are at the 20th anniversary of 9/11. It still feels like it was yesterday. I will never forget. Thank you for sharing your experience it really hits home for me too. ❤

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
One of the girls I worked with lost her brother that day.... he was a network engineer for Cantor Fitzgerald.I'm so glad you had that premonition!
That was so terrible. I remember the CEO of Cantor Fitzgerald on a news show crying over all his employees who perished. So sorry for that person who lost her brother. While I am grateful for the premonition, I really feel so sad over all who lost there lives that day, especially all those at Cantor Fitzgerald.😭 I will never forget 9/11. The day our nation's 💔.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I worked in DC. 0n that day I heard a bunch of excited voices in the office. When someone screamed I went into the lounge to see what was going on. Someone told me that terrorist flew a plane into one of the World Trade buildings. When they showed the building collapsing it felt like my legs were going to go out from under me.

I went out front of the building for a smoke it was very eerie. The streets were empty and I saw no one. They said that there was a 4th plane that was unaccounted for. They thought that the plane was heading to DC to hit the Capital or the White House. I worked about 4 blocks from the White House and the whole I was out there I kept expecting see a plane heading towards Pennslyvania Avenue.

They let us go home at 11 that day and the streets were absolute gridlock. It was my turn to drive the car poole and it took 4 hours just to get out of DC. We barely spoke to each other because the 4 of us were in shock. By the time I got home I was exhausted and numb.

I can't believe it's been 20 years. It really seems like it was yesterday.