Question of the Day, Saturday the 2nd of July, 2022

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and Happy Weekend and a Happy Birthday to America and Happy Birthday yesterday to our Canadian Family above us!!

Let's talk about picnic food.

I love potato salad, burgers, dips, pretzel salad, fruit salad, Nicole's famous bakes beans, mac salad, pasta salad, tuna salad
Devil's Food cake, cherry pie and a lot more

What do you like?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
pretzel salad
What is pretzel salad?

Big chunks of french bread with cheese, apples and crisps.
Are crisps the same as crackers? Do you put them on the french bread or separate?

I would like veggie burgers or veggie dogs, mac salad, tossed salad with thousand island dressing, mac and cheese, cheese, crackers, hot sauce, vanilla cappuccino, water, maybe some type of bread.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer hot dogs (Sahlen's, please) or brats, German potato salad, baked beans with bacon on top, and macaroni salad. I'm not big on chips or pretzels, and by the time I've tanked up on the other stuff, there's no room for dessert.
Oh, yes- and Polish dill pickles.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohhh…for me it’s all about atmosphere, being grateful for a shady tree, or a cool river…and a nice picnic blanket to nap on when you’re pretending to be birdwatching. Love those French pocket knives…

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer hot dogs (Sahlen's, please) or brats, German potato salad, baked beans with bacon on top, and macaroni salad. I'm not big on chips or pretzels, and by the time I've tanked up on the other stuff, there's no room for dessert.
Oh, yes- and Polish dill pickles.
Polish Dills are my favorite pickles but hard to find. I went to three stores yesterday and no one had them.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For the meats I prefer a burger to hotdogs, my favorite though is chicken if it is done right. It's hard to get it cooked all the way through without drying out on the grill. I usually bake it until it is almost done then finish the pieces on the grill. I think that is why beer can chicken became a thing, it is easier to get it completely done without being dry. If a good one can be found a cold watermelon is good. I am really picky about sides at a cookout or even a potluck because I had food poisoning. I tend to shy away from things with mayo in them which of the traditional sides that pretty much leaves baked beans and grilled ears of sweet corn.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pretzel salad is one of the few things I really really dislike. Its a layered dessert. The bottom is made from broken (stale tasting) pretzels. Like the matchstick kind; thin ones. The next layer is something like cheesecake but not that thick or rich and the top is like a thicker strawberry sauce. I think the pretzels are what ruin it for me.

I love most picnic food. My old church has an annual picnic that was SO good! I love burgers, hotdogs, fried or grilled fish, pulled pork, pasta/potato/macaroni/tuna salad. Fruit salads. Coleslaw on pulled pork is amazing! Basically I go for a little of everything. Grilled veggies are *chefs kiss* good.

Everything is better grilled. I’m not one to look for hotdogs often; but I need 1-2 grilled ones in the summer! Brats or sausage on the grill are amazing too. The only downside is eating outside in the heat with bugs. :lol:

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and Happy Weekend and a Happy Birthday to America and Happy Birthday yesterday to our Canadian Family above us!!

Let's talk about picnic food.

I love potato salad, burgers, dips, pretzel salad, fruit salad, Nicole's famous bakes beans, mac salad, pasta salad, tuna salad
Devil's Food cake, cherry pie and a lot more

What do you like?
I like all the above except Tuna salad.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow... We had so much grilling, when I was growing up.. Charcoal grilling is the best!!

Man, I remember it all: Sirloin steak, hot dogs, grilled kielbasa, chicken, hamburgers. cheeseburgers..
My dad was a great charcoal griller. He had the grill which had an adjustable crank to raise and lower the height of the grill rack. This way the food was never overdone, and he kept moving it around, watching it..
It did not hurt that our b-b-q sauce was melted butter---brushed on at the end!!

I loved my mom's potato salad.. It had some grated carrots, very tiny minced onion, hard boiled egg, potato, and mayo.. so good.

That is what we mostly had.. the meat/ chicken, potato salad, chips, grilled rolls (butter) for the burgers and hot dogs. And Pickles.. half Dill.. or Kosher Dill. delish...

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There probably isn't too much picnic type food I'd turn my nose up at,but I really think my favorites of all we had on a picnic and fishing expedition we went on to Bennett Springs when my Mom was visiting in '89....our son had graduated high school.Maybe it's because she was there...dunno...but we stopped at the store and got italian bread,several kinds of cheese,crackers,mustards,genoa salami,sliced ham,pickles,olive salad, tomatoes,canned tuna packed in olive oil and sardines.We had a veritable feast! and there was very little left when we got home.Oh and black grapes...never had them before.Still some of my favorites to throw in a cooler and head to the lake or the park.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Mozarella, fresh basil and baby tomatoes on a very fresh roll, with a nice dry white wine.

I was served this on a beach in Positano, Italy many, many years ago and I relive it by taking it to beach picnics here.:lol: (unfortunately it doesn't come with the rather delightful Italian beach 'waiter'. )