Question of the Day, Saturday, the 25th of December 25, 2022

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, Hello and to those who celebrate, MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!⛪🎅🎄❄🤶

My ex-husband's family used to have a gag gift thing for Christmas.The worst thing I ever
received was a beautifully wrapped piece of cat poop. Sooooo gross but hilarious.

Have you ever done gag gifts for any occasion? If so tell us about some or tell us about a funny gift

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
We got a paper sack to put my son-in-law's gift in that said "Bag of sh+#' printed on it. The pictures of him holding it up are hilarious. He loved it, I guess we have a weird sense of humor!
Not weird, fun!!!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Story time!

Years ago when I was in high school, my dad and I went to LA, and someone came yp to my dad and said they thought he looked like or was William Finley from Phantom of the Paradise. We had never heard of this movie, so we got the DVD, and didn't really see the resemblance (man the movie was a trip), but my dad's twin sisters wanted to see it so we brought it out to Pennsylvania.

Long story short, for several years the movie got passed back and forth either through the mail or when we went out to visit (we 'accidentally forgot' it at their house a few times), and there was an amazing Christmas where my dad got excited to see they had mailed him a present under the tree, only to open it and find the DVD. We laughed so hard that morning. Good memories.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I received a few gag gifts when I turned 40. Rick had a surprise birthday party for me. I received a roll of black toilet paper that said
"Over the Hill". I also received several black roses from one of my friends. He gave them to me as a gag gift; I thought they were beautiful!

Merry Christmas, Mia!

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never once received a gag gift, and it was never done in my family overall. Not something I'm personally interested in, but (When done well of course) can see why others enjoy it :) Something lighthearted and silly, even as an icebreaker, especially since the Christmas season can be intense sometimes!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't say that I have. That's not really my thing so I'm OK with it.

Mia6 Mia6 regarding the cat poop. Isn't that a "gift" that we all receive every day? Instead of being beautifully wrapped, it's perfectly covered. :lol:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Never received, never tried. But from what I've been reading, it seems fun!

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps this gag is now so wellknown it is no longer amusing but ....

At one office party, at least 30 years ago, we each had to bring a present not knowing who would be receiving it. Most presents were candles, sweets ...... neutral Christmas gifts.
I remember I bought men's underwear with a Christmas motive - a real novelty in those days. The young man who received my gift was really amused - ran out of the room and reappeared wearing his shorts.

But the best gift was a simple tin can, without any indication of what it contained.
We were in the office - no tin opener in anybody's desk. Men produced pocket knives, screwdrivers and other odd gadgets and attempted to break the seal.

When it was eventually opened it contained ........ a tin opener!

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before Corona prevented such parties, our animal charity held a Christmas party for active members where we all wrapped up a present containing something we'd found in our cellar. Throwing a dice and getting a six entitled us to choose but not open one of the attractively wrapped presents. When everyone had a present to unwrap the fun started. In turn everybody had to pretend his present was up for auction and what a high quality, valuable article he had received - whether it was plastic sunglasses or a singing Santa. When everybody knew what valuable products lay on the table, a stopwatch was set and the dice were frantically thrown. Whoever threw a six, could exchange his or her present for something more attractive. It is amazing how excited people can get over trash! Though some presents were certainly not found in the cellar but purchased at some cheap store to add to the fun.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad has a vendetta against squirrels because they are always eating the gas tank of his boat (it's really strange, I know) A couple of years ago, I found a birthday card that had a squirrel on it, so I decided to get him a themed gift around squirrels. I went to my Instagram and found the pictures I took. It was apparently for his 60th birthday.

1640479548071.png

1640479572320.png

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gag gifts were/are never a tradition, but the odd time we've gotten creative and funny.
This year I got my Brother in Law a bit of a gag gift... We don't normally exchange, but when I saw it I had to get it for him. It's an anti-chaffing cream..so whatever, not THAT funny. But it's called "Below the Belt Grooming for Men - Fresh and Dry Balls!" He though it was hilarious.
Then there's the old - wrap a gift in an unexpected, difficult to open or amusing way. My mom gifted me an umbrella once, and when I opened it up she had tied/taped a whole bunch if 5 dollar bills to string. It was "raining money" as it all fell around me.
I've wrapped gifts cards in giant boxes. My grandmother once taped a large amount of coins in layers to form a ball that we had to pull apart to get our money. I got a gift once, wrapped entirely in duct tape.
A friend of ours loves dill pickles, so we made him a t-shirt with a picture of a pickle on it...that's it, just a pickle, no words and nothing to explain the meaning of the pickle. He thought it was great!
I got my husband an "ugly Christmas sweater" a few years ago. It's a giant furry cat with teeth and claws out, going for a string of Christmas lights. He wears it every year now on Christmas day.
So there have been many moments of "gag gifts" but usually still useful...

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just remembered another gag gift I did for my co-worker once....And FYI, I'm very much aware that I'm an "A-:censored:", LOL!!!!:lol:
Just keep in mind that this co-worker also has a twisted sense of humor...

So my co-worker unfortunately had a heart attack at work, very mild symptoms presented at the time, but it turned out that it did indeed damage her heart. The scary part, it wasn't her first heart attack, as the imaging showed other parts of damaged tissue. Honestly, if it wasn't for my other co-worker insisting she go to the hospital, she wouldn't have gone...
Anyway, she was off work for a few weeks, and when she came back, instead of a bouquet of flowers.....I made her a bouquet of vegetables! She thought it was hilarious, although she did call me a few choice words! I then said to her.."but you still love me, you know you do!". To which she replied..."yes, yes..I love you!" We had a good laugh.

Last edited:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
When we first met my stepdaughter's in-laws, SD told us that they had a tradition of each person buying one legitimate gift and one joke one. Everyone would sit in a circle and pick one, and you wouldn't know if you would get a real gift or a joke one. So I bought one of each and took them to the Christmas party.

Her mother-in-law got my joke gift. You should have seen the look on her face. I was confused, thinking it was pretty funny (whatever it was, I can't remember now) and said 'Oh you got the joke one' or something. WELL--it turns out that they sometimes did that joke gift thing--but they weren't doing it that year! :crackup:

Oops. :paperbag: :lol:

Attachments

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our old church used to do one every Christmas Eve at a party we’d have after service. The first year I was in middle school and I got some socks that said “Soccer Mom.” :lol2:

Other memorable gifts (not all received by me) were a roll of tp with a bell on a cord stuffed in the tube so hung like an ornament, a doll/wreath made with plastic spoons and yellow yarn (it was crocheted so someone put in effort!), a package of army men and a dog bone. They usually weren’t things that cost much; but it was all in good fun and there was a lot of laughter.

DownTheLane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We uses to always get condoms for eachother in secondary school. Like a gag gift, especially the buying of it was always a lot of giggling.
One year we teased a friend about getting her a dildo, and embarrassing her in front of her parents. We got her a cheap knock off Barbie and wrapped it up. We were giggling and whispering to eachother when we presented it to her at the dinner table, her parents here. She looked mortified! The wave of relief and also irritation when she opened it was amazing, we told her she could play with her little sis with it. That was probably the best gag gift we've pulled