Question of the Day, Saturday, the 23rd of July, 2022

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, Hello and Happy Weekend!!!

WOWZA!!! It is so :censored:hot here and other places, :sweat::fire:๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ‘’๐ŸŒ…๐Ÿ˜Ž๐ŸŒ‡๐ŸŒžโ˜€๐Ÿงด
My bud in Sydney told me to come on down and go sailing....nice and cool thereโ›ต and a sunscreen of at leas30
Over 30 does not make a difference.

So; let's talk how to stay cool and how to stay warm if you're south of the equator.

Nicole had skin cancer last year as a result of a lifetime of tanning. I lived in Florida in the late 70as and 80s. I learned to use zinc and heavy sunscreen

I wear a baseball cap with a long bill, sunglasses. baggy shorts that are just above my knees. I wear white wbs, camis, bear paw shoes that look like clodhoppers but are good for my feet, both are deformed from falls. I bought a gray pair as well. Sexy, yeah? hahahahahahah!!!

SO what about you?

Attachments

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am a big fan of staying inside with the air conditioner! :biggrin: But if Iโ€™m not or the kids are out we like the sporty fabrics that are thin but wick moisture and have SPF coverage. They make a ton of stuff for boys but some for w now too.

I have a Mission cooling cloth thatโ€™s helpful but it needs periodic rewetting. I alternate it around my neck, over my shoulders or tied around my head.

We keep water and Gatorade on hand too. Fruit popsicles and watermelon are favorites. Staying hydrated help keep you comfortable. I also have little fan spray bottles for misting that help. We keep theceiling fans moving air around too. And keep shades closed to block out heat and an attic fan.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get up early and get all my outside work done before the noon heat starts to sizzle. It has been around a hundred or above for weeks now, with one measurable rain in two months. Our river is completely dried up, the trees are starting to brown. 108 today, 112 last week. People always say, "but it's dry heat". well yeah, it's just like walking into an oven!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I gave Rick what I thought was a really neat hat for when he's outside. He thought it was stupid...so guess who's wearing it? It's become my go-to hat when I'm working in the yard. Covers my ears. I put my hair in a ponytail when I wear it. Since my hair is grey/white, my doctor is more worried about skin cancer. And I don't want my hair turning yellow from the sun. I put my sunglasses on whenever I go outside, even if it's just to take the trash out. Esp since the cataract surgery, the sunlight seems to bother my eyes. I'm sure that will go away in time. Sunblock as much as possible. Rick has had skin cancer; I'm due for a dermatologist appt for a check-up for skin cancer. It's an annual thing.

We try to work during the morning and evening, esp now with this intense heat. Drink a lot of iced water, although I do try to have iced mint tea or fresh lemonade in the fridge. And Pepsi for me, Mt. Dew for Rick.

Rick has been using the pool, but I've only had my feet in the water. The eye doctor finally cleared me for swimming as long as I keep my eyes shut under water. We don't use the pool as often as we used to (when I was younger, I used to live in the pool), far from it, but on really hot, muggy days, I'll get in for a while.

We don't have AC in the house, so windows are wide open. Both of our French doors in the kitchen are wide open. The fan runs in the kitchen 24/7 and I have a window fan on the floor in the living room that goes back in the bedroom during the night. We keep talking about some kind of AC, but haven't done anything about it yet.

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Also trying to stay in the AC!! For an old fat lady, I still wear stretch Bike shorts, with a t-shirt--of course a bra.. If I am sitting in the sun--only for Bocce, I wear at least a 30 sunscreen/block, and a floppy hat. I drink electrolyte water, still wear flip-flops. I guess I am still thinking I am in my 20's....
When I get in after bocce, I rest to cool off, then shower.... immediate cool down.

Today is one of these days----staying indoors. Not going out.

I also had a bout of basal cell cancer, so I am very careful. My dad had a lot of basal cell.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
water always have water to drink its really important to have waterbefore my stroke i used to always have a frozen liter bottle with me while i was out working and alot of days during the summer heat it felt like i was sweating out the water fast as i was drinking it. also helps as a poolman when your working the first pool by 4am

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't have air conditioning so we open widows at night with fans on to circulate the air and close everything up in the morning and pull the drapes to block out the sun. Works well to keep the house cool....well, cool-er. Humidity plays a big factor on how well this works.
I can't use regular sunscreen without breaking out so I only use a mineral based sunscreen on my face and try to use the lightest feeling sunscreen on my body. I will usually wear light flowy clothing if I'm out and about/running errands and will seek out the shade as much as possible if I'm having to hang out outside.
I obviously stay hydrated as much as possible alternating with water and Gatorade. A little more on the Gatorade side if I'm working hard in the heat, water will suffice if I'm just lounging around. I try not to work too much if it's really hot though...
Taking a tepid shower is helpful as well if it's really hot and I've worked up a sweat. I won't take a cold shower though, because it doesn't help if when I step out and the air is hot around me...I just feel sticky. But a tepid shower cools me off and when I step out it's not as much of a shock on me if the air is super hot around me. IDK...it just works better for me...

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I used to have a bodice chiller. It's a little metal tube you fill with ice water and slip between your breasts. If you cool your core, your entire body feels cooler.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I also had a bout of basal cell cancer, so I am very careful.
Me too! I was lucky since it was minor but still tested positive for basal cell cancer. I confess, I was a sun worshipper when I was younger, i.e. baby oil and long days on the beach at the lake. I wish I knew then what I know now. So I use SPF 30, wear a baseball cap if I'm out between 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. and drink lots of water especially when exercising. I've always worn sunglasses. ๐Ÿ˜Ž Fortunately we have central air since I absolutely detest humidity.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to work in the yard until 12 or 1, until it got to be the hottest part of the day. Now if it is hot and humid I am inside in one of the rooms with the window ac. If I am out in the heat it seems to make my Afib flare up. I hate the heat wave we are having. This is day 3 or 4. I keep the blinds closed and the windows closed to keep the heat out. I feel like I am living in a cave!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When it is really hot I stay in with the air conditioning and drink a lot of iced tea. We have gotten rain, it rained a good part of last weekend. It has clouded over now and gotten really dark so it is going to rain again, it has been hot for several days now. Figures it would rain, I ran my car through the car wash this morning when it was sunny and not a dark cloud in the sky.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I stay inside with the AC. It's cooled down today - 67 degrees right now, and it's supposed to stay cool next week. So that's when I will pull weeds.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I am out in the yard only early morning or late afternoon. I donโ€™t really put anything special on, just try to move slowly when itโ€™s really hot and take take short breaks every twenty minutes or so if needed.

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
i mostly stay inside where it is cool . i wear long pants to cover my legs and short sleeved shirts with tennis shoes outside if i go anywhere

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I basically just stay inside in the AC all the time. I may or may not wear shorts if I go out, but I usually just stick to regular pants and a t-shirt as my wardrobe for most days. If I'm working outside, I will sometimes put a wet paper towel in the freezer so when I come back inside I have something that can cool me down quickly (aside from water).

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm chilled out watching "Weather Nation" as there is a Tornado Situation happening North of me in Southeast Minn. My dear wife never listens to me when I warn her of possible bad weather, when she's thinking of shopping. She and two friends headed North to Rochester, Minnesota for a day of shopping. She texted me that she's in a tornado shelter in Rochester,Minnesota. It will be interesting how this day plays out.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A tornado touched down here early this morning, but it was several miles away.
You were lucky. Perhaps it may be good to keep a eye out for further bad weather. It seems that the bad weather in Minnesota is traveling east to Wisconsin and perhaps Illinois.