Question of the day - Saturday, September 8th

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning

I recently bought the first season of Mythbusters from Amazon.ca and I realized that I do quite a bit of shopping online.  So today's question is...

Do you shop online regularly?

I find it really convenient.  Everything is so accessible and easy to find.  But I know of a few people who would never even consider banking or shopping online.  They feel that it's too risky.  They don't trust the security measures, which is entirely understandable.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like to shop online as well. It's fast, you can always find what you're looking for and because you're online you can compare prices very easily and more often then not I save a lot of $ without the hassle of having to go to several different stores and search and settle for the price. I was worried when I first started about the security measures but I've never had a problem. One time my bank even called to make sure it was actually me who had purchased something online because they said it was an unusual purchase for me. So between the bank and the online stores security I feel very safe with shopping online, & I can literally get anything I want even if they stopped selling it at the store I still can find it online and cheap

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
About 85% of my shopping is done online! We live in a small, semi-rural town with few shops. I work in a major city, but normally don't feel like trudging through stores after work, since I have a long commute (an hour one way).

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I shop online often now. I hadn't, but several years ago, I had a bad case of sciatica right before Christmas. I couldn't walk, couldn't sit, it was bad. It lasted about eight weeks or so. We tried to shop for gifts and I didn't make it through a mall. I simply could not walk that far.

That was the year that we started really buying things online. We've never looked back. It's wonderful during the Christmas season for gift ideas, especially for our grandchildren. And I like being able to find things online that I couldn't find in a store. (But I still love the Black Friday craze!)

When I want something now, depending on what it is, the first place I go to is Amazon.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
l buy a ton of stuff online. l can quite often find better prices than l can locally, and it's shipped right to my door. l love the convenience.

l will only shop at those stores that take debit or PayPal though. l won't use credit card online - just a personal quirk.

l've bought all kinds of things, mostly from online stores now. But back in the day, l was an eBay addict. l even bought a car from eBay, sight unseen, from Philadelphia. l live in Ottawa, Canada, and since l'm English and not Canadian, l needed a passport to cross the border which l didn't have at the time, so the car transaction was a logistics nightmare. But l got a great car - l still have it  

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Made two online purchases in my life - bought a book and that was the first and last time. I am way out in the middle of nowhere, and anything larger than a book. well, I STILL have to go 50 miles one way to pick it up, so why bother.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I order online all the time. Cat food, other pet supplies, books, videos, my TV. . .well, pretty much everything except groceries, and I even order some of those online :lol3:.

I don't worry about security--in the U.S., if somebody uses your credit card without permission, you aren't responsible for the charges. So the credit card company keeps a close eye on your transaction, because they have to pick up the bill if there's fraud. My account just got flagged a few days ago, because I made an order from Pet Food Direct when I usually order from Doggiefood :tongue2:. I had to call them and authorize the charges before I could use the card again. They also flagged it when I went to the same store twice in one day (forgot something). So I'm pretty confident that anybody who gets hold of my card number wouldn't get too far (and I wouldn't be responsible for the charges anyway). My bank cautions against using a debit card online, though; I guess it's harder to clear up a debit card problem.

Plus, having worked in a call center, I know that if you call a company to place an order, or even if you mail them the order, it all gets entered on their website anyway :D. Your credit/debit card info, your checking account number, your name, address, phone number. . .yup, it still ends up on the internet!

Last edited:

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow - reading all the posts it seems I'm living in the dark ages. I've never ordred anything on line and I don't do on line banking. Still have a fear of something going wrong. Maybe I should try it once just to let myself be re-assured. I might do some on-line shopping but I still don't want to do on-line banking. Does that sound strange?

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I order online all the time. Cat food, other pet supplies, books, videos, my TV. . .well, pretty much everything except groceries, and I even order some of those online
I don't worry about security--in the U.S., if somebody uses your credit card without permission, you aren't responsible for the charges. So the credit card company keeps a close eye on your transaction, because they have to pick up the bill if there's fraud. My account just got flagged a few days ago, because I made an order from Pet Food Direct when I usually order from Doggiefood
. I had to call them and authorize the charges before I could use the card again. They also flagged it when I went to the same store twice in one day (forgot something). So I'm pretty confident that anybody who gets hold of my card number wouldn't get too far (and I wouldn't be responsible for the charges anyway). My bank cautions against using a debit card online, though; I guess it's harder to clear up a debit card problem.
Plus, having worked in a call center, I know that if you call a company to place an order, or even if you mail them the order, it all gets entered on their website anyway
. Your credit/debit card info, your checking account number, your name, address, phone number. . .yup, it still ends up on the internet!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your bank info is on the bank's website, too, whether you access it or not. . .:tongue2:.

I still send checks for a lot of things. . .mortgage, credit card payment, car payment (before it was paid off), city bills, gas bill, etc. I just don't like auto-pay, plus I work for the Postal Service so I really should be supportive :lol3:.

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was just checking my history of online buying .The last order online was Feb 2011.   My phone bill I call each month and tell them how much I am going to pay.  I have a Visa debit.  It gets used usually to take what cash I think I will need for the shopping I am going to do that trip, and when it is gone, no more shopping.  My car insurance is an auto-deduct from my checking account.

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do a lot of shopping online, I hate shopping so it's far more convenient to do it from my computer. Also of course easier to research and compare prices. A lot of places offer free overnight shipping, some even same day depending where you live, return policies are great too.
Same with the new debit-VISA cards

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes we do a lot online.  I like to price shop for things.  Especially bigger purchases.  I've been able to save a good deal of money on different things that way.  Also reading reviews online has saved me some regrettable purchases.

My Mom is one who wont shop online.  (She doens't even own a debit card.)  If she needs to make a purchase online she gives me money and has me do it for it. 

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually the majority of my shopping is done online.  Outside of groceries etc.  that is.  I am a person that detests shopping to begin with and I have not set foot in a shopping mall in about 10 years.  I love the convenience of shopping online and intend to continue.  There are so many places you can shop and most of the times the prices are much better than you can find in the retail stores.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do a lot of online shopping especially since I now have some health and mobility issues. Also, many of the items I need are not available locally.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do. BF and i have been enjoying ebay a little too much recently also :lol3: Too easy to spend money!