Question of the day - Saturday, October 20th

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning

Well, Halloween is fast approaching, so in the 'spirit' of things, I'm wondering...

Do you like horror movies?

I love horror movies as long as they are suspenseful.  If it's just things popping out at you, I don't find it all that entertaining.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Love them! I have to be careful with some of them though because my imagination will run away with me and I can scare myself half to death

7irishkitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ohhhh I love a good scary movie!  As a matter of fact I just watched The Amityville Horror that I had on DVR from the other night "the 1979 version, not the new one".  Now I don't go for that gross out and torture stuff that they do in todays horror movies but I do love the old scary stuff!  

My imagination can run away with me too

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I like the old-fashioned horror movies. The current slash flicks that have been so popular in the recent past are not for me.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer the old stuff - TCM has been running some old horror pics all month. I managed to watch The Picture of Dorian Gray (with a very young Angela Lansbury and Peter Lawford), but the rest seem to interfere with other things. I really don't like the new version of horror flicks which is all blood and gore and zombies and hatching aliens but no real story or true suspense.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the old-fashioned horror movies. The current slash flicks that have been so popular in the recent past are not for me.
Me too! In fact, I randomly found Rosemary's Baby the other day and got hooked on it right from the very beginning. I hadn't seen it for so long. Now that was seriously creepy and scary. Brilliantly filmed. Yikes!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I like the older movies.  The new ones should just be thrown in the trash. I remember one old black and white movie where the bad guy used a hand with candles on the ends of the fingers.  J.K Rowling also saw it, because she used it in several of her books as Draco Malfoy's "Hand of Glory"

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay well this is going to sound weird and is pretty sad, but I started watching horror shows when I was two years old - the tv was my late-night baby sitter. I was diagnosed with asthma at two, and was growing up in an abusive home with a mean and violent mother. I had nightmares and night terrors every night. The only way I could wake up from the night terrors was to scream but the stress from the abuse also caused asthma attacks so I couldn't get enough air to scream my way out of them.

So, as a toddler I would start stressing when the sun went down because I didn't want to sleep and I'd lie awake in bed crying for hours. This prompted my mother to put me in front of the tv in the living room where I absorbed lots of The Twilight Zone; also a local show called Project Terror. I watched Creature Feature, Inner Sanctum, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, The Outer Limits...

I don't know why I watched horror shows so much but looking back I suspect that others' terrifying situations perhaps made mine seem not so bad, or maybe that was all that was on late at night.

These days I love a good horror show or movie but I won't watch slasher stuff, after one or two scenes of blood spurting all over the walls I lose interest.

Last edited:

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I have to admit that I do like horror movies, but like many of you said I like the older horror movies, not the slasher violent type that they are making now. Remember Psycho? For years I hesitated taking a shower when I was alone in the house.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, Alfred Hitchcock. Now that guy knew how to put something scary on screen. He never shot the knife going into her, which was even more terrifying. Saw the knife being raised, heard the screams, saw the blood going down the drain - genius - I'm getting scary shivers just thinking about it!

Last edited:

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Speaking of Hitchcock, we've been watching the old Alfred Hitchcock Hour shows on Encore Suspense Channel and most of them are great. That man was pure genius -- and the fun part of his old movies was looking for him at some point, since he always did a very quick appearance in most of his movies.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have been watching them on Antenna TV.  I like where he walks into the line silhouette of him at the beginning of each episode.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Okay well this is going to sound weird and is pretty sad, but I started watching horror shows when I was two years old - the tv was my late-night baby sitter. I was diagnosed with asthma at two, and was growing up in an abusive home with a mean and violent mother. I had nightmares and night terrors every night. The only way I could wake up from the night terrors was to scream but the stress from the abuse also caused asthma attacks so I couldn't get enough air to scream my way out of them.

So, as a toddler I would start stressing when the sun went down because I didn't want to sleep and I'd lie awake in bed crying for hours. This prompted my mother to put me in front of the tv in the living room where I absorbed lots of The Twilight Zone; also a local show called Project Terror. I watched Creature Feature, Inner Sanctum, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, The Outer Limits...

I don't know why I watched horror shows so much but looking back I suspect that others' terrifying situations perhaps made mine seem not so bad, or maybe that was all that was on late at night.

These days I love a good horror show or movie but I won't watch slasher stuff, after one or two scenes of blood spurting all over the walls I lose interest.
Wow, Swampwitch.. that's pretty full-on for a little kid.  I'm so sorry you went through all of that.

Maybe horror movies were more like ordinary life movies when you were so young..

I don't watch them myself.  Not unless they are very cleverly made.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning

Well, Halloween is fast approaching, so in the 'spirit' of things, I'm wondering...

Do you like horror movies?

I love horror movies as long as they are suspenseful.  If it's just things popping out at you, I don't find it all that entertaining.
I'm kind of jaded on horror movies.  I have friends that love the really gory ones but I'm no longer a big fan of those.  I love suspense and I love the terror part of them but the body parts being hacked off just doesn't seem to be my cup of tea anymore

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm kind of jaded on horror movies.  I have friends that love the really gory ones but I'm no longer a big fan of those.  I love suspense and I love the terror part of them but the body parts being hacked off just doesn't seem to be my cup of tea anymore :paranoid:
:yeah: Same here. I do enjoy a good thriller. BUT those horror and torture movies I can't handle. Never really could :lol3: The Shining is one of my all-time favorites. Of course, the original Halloween. :pumpkin: