Question of the Day Saturday Nov 16

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Have to stick up for Florida! I'll take the humidity any time over the dry heat in Las Vegas. It was 111 degrees when we were there and I hated it.

While we deal with the hot weather here in Florida in the summer time ---and it's hot all over, sometimes hotter up north than down here --- the winter more than make up for it. No winter coats, boots, scarves, gloves, fur lined jackets, etc. And we have the most beautiful blue skies and beautiful white clouds. Last time I was in NY it was just so grey, dreary and depressing. Was ready to kiss the ground when we got back home.
I guess it's all what you get used to.  I don't really like dry OR humid heat, but I can handle the dry heat better.  I remember the first time I got off a plane in Hawaii, it was so humid for me, it felt like I was trying to breathe underwater!  

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

Hottest - Holiday in East Africa , it was hottest in land where it was like being baked in a dust bowl but felt worse over on the coast in Dar Es Salaam and Zanzibar because it was right before monsoon and the humidity was evil.  No air con, in fact little or no electricity anywhere. 

Coldest - Flat I lived in as a student in Edinburgh.  It was a really cold winter, regularly minus 0 celcius for weeks on end, icy but only occasional snow. The flat only had a 2 bar electric heater in one room.  We had sheets of ice on the insides of the windows for several weeks and when friends of mine came up for a long weekend one of them (who had disabilities and couldn't move much to keep warm) left with a bit of frost bite in her fingers! 

Wow, you've really experienced both ends of the spectrum!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Wow, you've really experienced both ends of the spectrum!
I'm kind of glad I wasn't a student in Alaska or somewhere!
   At least not if it was the same flat and even colder climate!  We had fun there though, despite there being no resident cat. :-(   I don't like hot weather much.  I'd suffer living somewhere hot.

catdavidlouis

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Warmest -- Phoenix, AZ -- a balmy 114 F one fine July day when I was a kid on a driving vacation with my family in early 70's.  Dad was so proud of the deal he'd made on his brand new Ford Fairlane -- "without all those unecessary extras,"  You know-- like AIR CONDITIONING!   Oh, the smells on that trip!

Coldest-- Negative 30 F in Grand Forks, ND in Jan. of 2009 taking my son on an official college visit to University of North Dakota. Wonderful school and great  athletic facilities, but DS couldn't get past that kind of cold, and selected another university.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Warmest -- Phoenix, AZ -- a balmy 114 F one fine July day when I was a kid on a driving vacation with my family in early 70's.  Dad was so proud of the deal he'd made on his brand new Ford Fairlane -- "without all those unecessary extras,"  You know-- like AIR CONDITIONING!   Oh, the smells on that trip!

Ooooh, sounds a bit like part of the drive we had on the holiday I mentioned, and without air con in the car I swear I (and everyone else) would have expired!  The car we were in at that point was the only aircon on the whole trip.   I feel your pain, scarred for life.... bet your dad was NOT popular for a while after that.

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Warmest - probably Vegas. We were there in the mid-80s and I really didn't like it very much. Dry heat, wet heat....doesn't matter, hot is hot. Overall, I'd much rather be too warm than too cold. I hate being cold.

Coldest - for me, probably right here during a really cold winter. I think it was back during the mid-90s, we had a really nasty cold snap in mid-January. The night time temp went down into the -20s degrees F (wind chill was unreal) and businesses had to shut down, simply to conserve energy. I was working at the paper plant and I remember that we had to shut the plant down (or else the electric company would simply shut us down) and go home. I was on second shift and left work right around 7:00 or so. It was almost surreal driving home that night; as I drove through town, even signs were shut off. It was the darkest I've ever seen in town. (I smoked back then, too, and I remember us smokers lining up outside the plant building, puffing away quickly.....it was really, really cold but we needed our nicotine fix.) 

Last edited:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Coldest - Northern Maine in January during a real cold spell.

Warmest - Hmmmm. The furthest south I've been is Florida, but it was in April so the temperatures were pleasant. I think I'll have to go with right here during a summer heat wave.

Last edited by a moderator:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmm, I'm not really sure, but I'm going to say SE Pennsylvania. To quote my German husband when asked how he liked living there, "I've never been so hot, or so cold, in my life."

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have travelled a lot and although in general I would rather be too hot than too cold, the most uncomfortable heat I ever experienced was when I lived in Bosnia, where it regularly hit 42 C in summer. It got down to -22Celsius in winter with 3 metres of snow, and although that was inconvenient, at least you could wrap up warm - not like summer when you could not ever get cool. I did not like Bahrein for heat though,it was as hot as Las Vegas (and I have been there in August) but so humid that the second I left the hotel my clothes were wet through. I lived in Southern California for two years, and I did like the climate on the whole, though I missed the seasons! I am genetically a northern European and made for temperate climates, which is one reason I have chosen to live in northern France, where we have proper seasons, pleasant (22-30C) in summer and only rarely below freezing in winter.

Last edited:

sugarsandz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was born in Alaska and it got pretty cold there though it never bothered me, the coldest place I've ever been though was the Yukon in Canada it got down to -45 and our air mattress shattered when it fell out of the truck.

Warmest was either Louisville, Kentucky was so humid and hot all summer when i lived there. . . Also Florida which I've only been to twice for vacation. I'm not a big fan of anything above 70 preferably 65 lol!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
It's been 42C (107F)here many times... but with air-con I don't notice so much.

It's interesting the humidity issue.. so many people find it difficult, including me.  Dry heat is so much easier to take, I reckon.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd have to say here for both. It gets ridiculously hot and humid in the summer. I believe it got up to 112 or 114 somewhere in the state but I think the hottest it's been here specifically is 108 or 110. And it gets ridiculously cold in the winter. -30 is not very uncommon.

I like the climate in San Diego, the problem is that everyone else does too ;). I don't want to live in a big city. I don't like the climate in Florida; all that humidity all the time. Even though we went in August and it was actually cooler/less humid there than here :tongue2:, but I wouldn't want to deal with it all year. I prefer a dry heat. I wouldn't want to live somewhere that wasn't sunny most of the time (like Oregon)---at least here it's almost always sunny even if the sun doesn't work half the year :lol3:.

Last edited:

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hottest was definitely San Angelo, Texas, in August. I lived there several years ago. Coldest was probably a trip to Maine during Christmas week with my dad when I was a kid. It was snowing and it was really cold. That's all I remember!