Question of the Day, Saturday, June 10

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Happy Weekend!

Mom used to do a lot of canning with our grandmother and they always canned a lot of tomatoes. One of her meals was stewed tomatoes over boiled, buttered potatoes. Or, depending on how far Dad's check went that week (usually not very far), stewed tomatoes over buttered bread. Needless to say, we hated that stuff. She also used to make rice with milk and cinnamon as a meal. Again, not a favorite. But we understood that we didn't have a lot of money and we ate it. Maybe not happily, but we ate it. I've never eaten stewed tomatoes over anything since, nor have I eaten rice with milk and cinnamon, although I do enjoy rice pudding as a bit of dessert.

What is a meal or a dish that your mother made that you really didn't like? Anything that you remember?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 Tik cat's mum Tik cat's mum You know, I didn't really care for liver and onions when I was a kid. But, well, I think it grew on me. And when Mom used to ask me what I wanted for my birthday dinner, it was always liver and onions, with lemon meringue pie for dessert. Same with my sister. It got to where Mom stopped asking what I wanted and just asked me when I could come home for it. I still make it for myself (Rick says it's diseased and should be declared illegal) and, for my sister and me, because her husband feels the same way as Rick.

Several years ago, my sister had a big family dinner with us, their kids, and their kids' in-laws. Turns out my nephew's FIL is a big liver and onion fan and doesn't get it because he's the only one in the family who will touch it. She had a big roast turkey as the main course, but she asked me if I'd make liver and onions for us and her son's FIL. I made 3 pounds of liver and onions. Believe it or not, we finished up a little over 2 pounds of the stuff between the 3 of us. Who needed turkey? We had liver!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually two. Year-round Liver and Onions. In the spring asparagus, I know asparagus is considered a delicacy but I don't care for it. My Dad loved it and he had it in the garden.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I really cannot think of anything that my mom cooked, which I did not like. For a while, I refused pork roast because my older cousin told me it was "Porky Pig".... I was a young kid. I kept thinking of poor Porky each time she made it. Thankfully, I finally got over that aversion.
My mom made the best pork roast with simple roasted potatoes and carrots, in the same pan.. delish..

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 Tik cat's mum Tik cat's mum You know, I didn't really care for liver and onions when I was a kid. But, well, I think it grew on me. And when Mom used to ask me what I wanted for my birthday dinner, it was always liver and onions, with lemon meringue pie for dessert. Same with my sister. It got to where Mom stopped asking what I wanted and just asked me when I could come home for it. I still make it for myself (Rick says it's diseased and should be declared illegal) and, for my sister and me, because her husband feels the same way as Rick.

Several years ago, my sister had a big family dinner with us, their kids, and their kids' in-laws. Turns out my nephew's FIL is a big liver and onion fan and doesn't get it because he's the only one in the family who will touch it. She had a big roast turkey as the main course, but she asked me if I'd make liver and onions for us and her son's FIL. I made 3 pounds of liver and onions. Believe it or not, we finished up a little over 2 pounds of the stuff between the 3 of us. Who needed turkey? We had liver!
Rick's right about the liver sorry. But the lemon meringue pie mmmmm. Definitely a double helping.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not a fan of squash (except spaghetti squash) and Mom would often make it when it was in season. Roasted with a bit of brown sugar and cinnamon, everyone else loves it...not me. I ate it, because...well...we had to, but...blech!
Another is from my Dad. He LOVES blood sausage, and although he knows it's not something that most people like, he did make us try it at least once. He laughed when both my sister and I tried our little portion. He never made us eat it again, but he would sometimes make it for himself and offer some with a little evil grin...

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
the l word.....liver
You took the words right out of my mouth! :agree:

My sister and I would cringe whenever my mother made liver. My father ate it so I guess he didn't mind but the mere thought of it, especially how it looks before it's cooked just makes me want to :barf:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Salad. Don't get me wrong, I love a good salad. But not the way she made it. It was iceburg lettuce, carrots, radish, turnip, onion and green bell pepper. I can't stand any of those, even cooked, so raw was out of the question. My salad is spring mix, mushrooms, avocado, meat (crab or chicken) and bacon bits.

I'm one of the rare ones. I love liver and bacon (no onion). I make a mean, perfectly cooked medium-well liver and absolutely love the stuff.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There isn’t much I don’t like so mom never cooked those things. We did eat a lot of hamburger/chicken/tuna helper because it was cheap and easy for 2 people. I get a taste for it every once in a while but in general I don’t eat that kind of thing.

My grandma would do stuffed peppers or artichokes and those I’ll pass on. But they were special dinners so she usually had a little something else too. Grandmas can get away with that.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Mom was a wonderful cook,so I really can't think of much that I didn't like.I'm that kid who got excited because on Fridays she'd go to ShopRite and bring home a big bag of frozen smelt and that was our dinner,so crispy and delicious!I did draw the line when she'd start planning a meal that included venison or veal.Nope!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cube steak. It's stretchy. Or chewy. Something is definitely wrong with it, no matter who cooks it. And DH still misses my mom's cube steak and gravy. I can understand the fried chicken, because she was a great cook. The cube steak I just can't wrap my mind around. On cube steak nights, I would just eat mashed potatoes.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chili. My mom always made chili on Halloween night. We were never a fan of it though. It wasn't until my dad started being in charge of meals and made his own chili and then added sour cream and cheese before we all realized we loved chili, but it needs sour cream and cheese.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mom used to take raw broccoli and dump some of the Kraft parmesan on it. The stuff in the green can. Then microwave it to death. Somehow it was raw and burned at the same time.

Her spice cake. It was just a boxed spice cake mix with some white canned frosting on it. So little frosting that you could see through it. Spice cake is awful and the reason I hate carrot cake. It's spice cake's fraternal twin. Canned frosting is an abomination.