Question of the Day: Saturday, December 28, 2019

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Low Hazard/Family Fireworks are legal here, you just need to get a permit via an application to the local fire department ahead of time.

I'm totally fine with them, as long as people are responsible with them of course. So far because of regulations there haven't been any problems for decades. While it's not something that I will run off and do personally, I see no reason to get rid of them.

In fact my neighbor uses them every year and I quite like it. We live in the country so it is dandy that way too, animals are fine.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fireworks can only be sold in this state June 27th - July 5th. You can only set them off June 27th - the Sunday after July 4th, and December 28 - January 1st.

I enjoy shooting them off, but there's no denying it's dangerous. The more people around, the worse. They shouldn't be allowed in town.

And, yes, it is extremely stupid that people in this state can shoot a gun any time and almost anywhere they want, but not fireworks! :rolleyes2:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Fireworks are illegal in Massachusetts, but they are not in some bordering states. People will buy them there are shoot them off here illegally.

They could never catch them doing it.
What some do is have the police scanner on if they are shooting them off so they know to stop if they are reported.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
They are strictly prohibited in IL. Although they're legal in some of the bordering states it is illegal to cross state lines, bring them in and set them off. However, our dog absolutely hated firework displays of any kind, similar to thunderstorms. Our cats on the other hand never seemed to be disturbed.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Fireworks are illegal in Massachusetts, but they are not in some bordering states. People will buy them there are shoot them off here illegally.

What some do is have the police scanner on if they are shooting them off so they know to stop if they are reported.
Ah! That is probably why they are not getting caught.

VinceL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As someone else mentioned, only low power fireworks like sparklers are legal in PA. At one of the places where we lived in PA, our next door neighbor was a state trooper and a sheriff's deputy lived in the next house. They would be outside shooting off fireworks (powerful, illegal ones) around the 4th of July. So, I was out there shooting them off too.

In South Carolina there seems to be no limit on the type of fireworks and they are sold year round. Around my neighborhood here in NC, there are many people who put on some quite impressive fireworks displays on the 4th and New Years. These fireworks are clearly from South Carolina. We attended a Christmas party the week before Christmas at a neighbor's house. He put on a spectacular fireworks display. There is a state trooper who lives in our development, and he was at the party. I think they take the view that as long as the fireworks are being handled by responsible adults they leave them alone.

The fireworks don't bother our cats.

Someone posted that here in the US you can buy guns in a supermarket. Do not make false claims like that.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fireworks weren't legal until a few years ago here in Minnesota. I wish they weren't legal. At my old house, the neighbor set off fireworks all the time. I couldn't stand the guy for multiple reasons, but constantly setting off fireworks made me hate him even more. I have a lot of noise sensitivities so sudden noises, like fireworks, make me on edge. I also hate fireworks because of how they affect other people (like those with PTSD) and animals who are afraid of the noise.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like neely neely said - you cross the border into Indiana and there are fireworks shops all over the place. If you wanted to smuggle into IL, going to a shop right across the border is the best way to get caught.

When I was in college there was a girl who went to mass who had been in a fireworks accident. She had one glass eye and scars over half her face. That was enough for me to decide they should be shot off by professionals only.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think setting fireworks off privately in a garden is quite anti-social, especially to cats and dogs as well as other animals. People with autism, PTSD, anxiety etc are also vulnerable to fireworks. I hate how some people here let them off all evening. Pretty if you can see them but pretty annoying for the other residents!
I like going to organised and safer fireworks displays though, and went to one on Bonfire Night here in the UK but don't normally go to any for New Year's (I'm not aware of any locally for NYE, though). I'd love to go to the display in central London before I die - that's always been a bucket list goal of mine! I'm going to a light show for NYE this year, however.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Isn't it ironic that there are firework restrictions of varying sorts in the US but you can buy guns in a supermarket
It's probably because fireworks are a fire hazard, a gun isn't (so they think).
In Az, we can have sparklers and low level fireworks. Only problem is, in July we are almost always under a stage 3-4 fire watch. Which means you can't even have a smoke outside of your house or car. New Years isn't so bad, but no one sells fireworks this time of year.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Legal here in Minnesota and I know I will hear a few on New Year Eve, but not many. Perhaps because it is frequently sub zero or blowing snow or both at that time, so standing outdoors watching fireworks isn’t high on most folks list.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Someone posted that here in the US you can buy guns in a supermarket. Do not make false claims like that.
Is Walmart not a supermarket?
Legal here in Minnesota and I know I will hear a few on New Year Eve, but not many. Perhaps because it is frequently sub zero or blowing snow or both at that time, so standing outdoors watching fireworks isn’t high on most folks list.
Haha, yes, exactly. I'm pretty sure that's why fireworks aren't too popular around here for New Year's.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
In Oregon, “anything that explodes, flies in the air, behaves in an uncontrolled or unpredictable manner, or travels more than 12 feet horizontally is illegal.” Within city limits, “the use of retail fireworks is prohibited during any declared fire season except July 1 through July 6.” Bottle rockets, Roman candles, and firecrackers are illegal.

Since every summer is now a declared fire season here in southern Oregon, fireworks are illegal. Doesn’t matter to the idiots. The city puts up signs on the roads leading up to the neighborhoods around where I live saying fireworks are illegal because of the fire risk. It doesn’t matter. It doesn’t stop the :censored: who apparently aren’t concerned about setting our neighborhood ablaze.

Illegal fireworks can traumatize children, animals, and war veterans. I hate them. (So, Tobermory, how do you really feel? :))

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, Walmart is a department store which happens to have a grocery department.
I think "supermarket" encompasses more than "grocery store".

The point being, in the US you can buy a gun somewhere other than a specialized gun store, which many think is not an especially good idea.

But we do have to buy fireworks at a specialized fireworks stand. Lol, we are messed up.

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
They aren’t legal if they are than 5 feet off the ground. We have warm springs reservation 1 hour from here and it’s legal there. A lot of people go there to buy them. Personally, I hate how they affect animals! Think of the fear and confusion they cause in animals, especially wild animals that feel like there’s no where to hide. And the birds. It breaks my heart and I wish I could stop all of the fireworks, or contain them to only designated areas. I feel strongly about this.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, Walmart is a department store which happens to have a grocery department.
I consider Walmart my main supermarket now. The grocery section is so big and right when I walk in. I hardly look at other stuff there anymore, besides food and cat food.