Question of the Day - Saturday, December 22nd

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning

Well, it's now December 22nd, so I guess the world didn't end.  But...

How do you think the world will end?

I think it will be the result of either the eruption of the super volcano under Yellowstone, or a collision with an asteroid.  

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think an eventual collision with a huge asteroid or a huge shower of asteroids will end most life on earth... as humans know it anyway. Then evolution will begin anew. Oh mi... :eek:

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I think humans are going to completely destroy the earth, demolish the food chain and kill each other in a slow and agonizing end. Then the little amoeba left will develop into swimming, crawling, walking animals....then the sun will go super nova and everything will fry. That's just my take on things....

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought the answer was obvious...cats are going to take over and kill off the human race.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it's very possible we may eventually meet up with a "world killer" asteroid.  It happens about every 60 million years, some scientists say.  I've heard it explained that the solar system wobbles up and down a little as it goes around the galaxy, and when it passes through a thicker part of the galaxy, we're exposed to more collisions.

NASA has an on-going research team watching for these things.  Right now, they're worried about one that will pass close in a few years, and they won't know until after that pass is analyzed whether it becomes more or less likely to strike the earth in something like 2039.

What they really worry about is a new comet coming screaming in from an unexpected direction, on its first pass through the central solar system.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends what you mean by "world" - do you mean humanity or the earth itself?

Either way, both will end in about 5 billion years when our sun burns itself out. Unless we've populated other planets by then, who knows.

Last edited: