Question of The Day. Saturday 9th of November

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems our marriage was the most unconventional one. We've been married 54 years and still going strong. We met the first class of the first day in college.

His mother didn't like me because "I came from the wrong side of the tracks", where they'd once lived. She said they'd moved to get with their class of people and he shouldn't be dating someone from back there. It was clear we were deeply in love, so she was determined to separate us. She considered sending him away to college or even forcing him into the military.

She had a girl from their area all picked out for him and did all she could to get them together.

We weren't of age to get married in our state, so the only option was too elope. The only states where we could marry were too far, so we had to find another place to elope. The Mexican border wasn't too far, about 300 miles, so we decided to go there. We told our parents we were going on an all-day Sunday school picnic and headed south.

No passport was required at that time. We found what we thought was someone who could marry us, but he was a notary public. His daughters thought our elopement incredibly romantic and persuaded him to help us. He made a phone call and a man in a dusty pickup appeared. We gave him $25 to take us into the interior because it was illegal to be married in a border state.

We had to get a permit go into the next states and had to be over 21 to do so (we were both 19). Our guide told us that for $10 each the guard would put down whatever age we told him, so Robert dais he was 22 and I was 21. The ages were duly noted and we were on our way.

Down the road we went until it turned into a gravel road, then a dirt one, then a couple of ruts, and finally a cow path. Our guide could have killed us and no one would've ever known. We finally bumped along into a classic Mexican town with adobe buildings built into a square. He left us at the courthouse and went to get the judge, who was a woman named Jesus. The witness was a potbellied sheriff.

The judge said something in Spanish. The sheriff poked me in the ribs and I said, "Si." She said more and Robert was poked in the ribs and said, "Si." We signed a book and were handed a marriage license. At least we think it was a license. We may have joined the Mexican army.

We crossed the border and into our new life. His mother had a fit that rocked Pluto but it didn't do any good. She changed the linens on Robert's bed every week for two years, waiting for him to come to his senses and come home. He never did.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems our marriage was the most unconventional one. We've been married 54 years and still going strong. We met the first class of the first day in college.

His mother didn't like me because "I came from the wrong side of the tracks", where they'd once lived. She said they'd moved to get with their class of people and he shouldn't be dating someone from back there. It was clear we were deeply in love, so she was determined to separate us. She considered sending him away to college or even forcing him into the military.

She had a girl from their area all picked out for him and did all she could to get them together.

We weren't of age to get married in our state, so the only option was too elope. The only states where we could marry were too far, so we had to find another place to elope. The Mexican border wasn't too far, about 300 miles, so we decided to go there. We told our parents we were going on an all-day Sunday school picnic and headed south.

No passport was required at that time. We found what we thought was someone who could marry us, but he was a notary public. His daughters thought our elopement incredibly romantic and persuaded him to help us. He made a phone call and a man in a dusty pickup appeared. We gave him $25 to take us into the interior because it was illegal to be married in a border state.

We had to get a permit go into the next states and had to be over 21 to do so (we were both 19). Our guide told us that for $10 each the guard would put down whatever age we told him, so Robert dais he was 22 and I was 21. The ages were duly noted and we were on our way.

Down the road we went until it turned into a gravel road, then a dirt one, then a couple of ruts, and finally a cow path. Our guide could have killed us and no one would've ever known. We finally bumped along into a classic Mexican town with adobe buildings built into a square. He left us at the courthouse and went to get the judge, who was a woman named Jesus. The witness was a potbellied sheriff.

The judge said something in Spanish. The sheriff poked me in the ribs and I said, "Si." She said more and Robert was poked in the ribs and said, "Si." We signed a book and were handed a marriage license. At least we think it was a license. We may have joined the Mexican army.

We crossed the border and into our new life. His mother had a fit that rocked Pluto but it didn't do any good. She changed the linens on Robert's bed every week for two years, waiting for him to come to his senses and come home. He never did.
Great story! With a beginning like that, your marriage was destined to be a long one! :thumbsup:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always wanted a wedding on a hill, or on a mountain with my beautiful white dress flowing and dancing with the wind, with all my dogs and cats and family members around.

I was not married on a mountain, and my wedding dress was a rental. My animals were also not around. :(

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even though we were married in a church, we did it on the cheap. Michele made her own wedding dress, rented the local fire hall (we both have large families, with tons of relatives), had one of her uncles do the photography, and basically did all of the scutwork ourselves, and our honeymoon was a week at my uncle's cabin in the Adirondacks. Nothing fancy, but it seems to have worked.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The bride and groom smashing cake into each other's faces is disgusting.
I hate this too. Plus I don't really like dessert much, so having it smashed in my face is not going to happen.

ith all my dogs and cats and family members around.
It's a nice thought, but the cats would probably run away unless they are on a leash.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise

My MIL is like this. If it were up to her, DH would plunk a trailer on the lot next to theirs and she would take care of him forever. While she has never explicitly said she doesn't care for me, I know that she views me as the person that took her baby boy away. However, in her defense, DH is her only kid not to be come a royal f'up, so she held onto him pretty tightly. She about passed out when we moved one state away for his job.

We don't like visiting for a number of reasons, but going into his old room freaks me out. It's like being transported back to the room of a 10 year old in the early 2000s (which, granted...DH should have upgraded some of his wall art, figurines, cleaned out his closet of 20+ year old toys, etc. but I digress...). She hasn't touched anything in his room since he officially moved out after college because "it makes her sad." When we go, it's turned into a storage room essentially. It's dusty and musty and just...ugh.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh hey! I've been married for a day, lol. Traditional church wedding, reception in a hotel, about 75 people. Probably spent too much money, but I just told myself that florists and hairstylists and dress shops were all just people trying to make a living and I was stimulating the economy.

Thank you for all the stories shared! Loved the Mary Poppins bridesmaid MonaLyssa33 MonaLyssa33 - your hat was an absolute perfect replica!

The most different wedding I ever attended was when I was on the marathon tour down in Antarctica. Two people had decided to have their wedding there, and since apparently any ship's captain is a legal officiant, he married them on the boat we were on. They wore their matching race windbreakers. Never saw them after the trip, so idk if the marriage lasted or not!

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh hey! I've been married for a day, lol. Traditional church wedding, reception in a hotel, about 75 people. Probably spent too much money, but I just told myself that florists and hairstylists and dress shops were all just people trying to make a living and I was stimulating the economy.

Thank you for all the stories shared! Loved the Mary Poppins bridesmaid MonaLyssa33 MonaLyssa33 - your hat was an absolute perfect replica!

The most different wedding I ever attended was when I was on the marathon tour down in Antarctica. Two people had decided to have their wedding there, and since apparently any ship's captain is a legal officiant, he married them on the boat we were on. They wore their matching race windbreakers. Never saw them after the trip, so idk if the marriage lasted or not!
Congratulations. As Mr. Spock on the old 'Star Trek' used to say, "Live long and prosper".

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was married. I am a widow. DH passed away in 2011 just shy of our 16th anniversary. We had a fairly big wedding. It was nice. DD was 9 months old and completely stole the show. :lol:

A couple of memorable items were:

DH's uncle (his dad's sister's husband) cornering DH and me at the reception and trying to get us to join his Amway team.
My cousin had gotten engaged a few days earlier and my aunt (dad's sister) wanted it announced. Dad said NO and aunt/cousin were deeply offended. I heard about it after the fact and just SMH. I couldn't say I was surprised at all about that. That was very typical of them. :rolleyes2:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The bride and groom smashing cake into each other's faces is disgusting.
I hate this too. Plus I don't really like dessert much, so having it smashed in my face is not going to happen.
What a waste of an expensive cake. Ok, maybe it's just a slice or two and not the entire cake but still :headshake:

I don't see why everyone needs to have a traditional cake. Why not cupcakes instead? Or maybe a chocolate bar instead of cake and another thing to appeal to those who don't eat / like chocolate? Or skip the cake / dessert entirely and do your own thing. Just something different than the "same old, same old" traditional stuff :ruminating:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cousin (who had the perfect wedding) only had a teeny fancy-decorated white cake for her and her husband to cut a small slice to feed to each other (no smashing! :nono:). The other desserts, for the guests, were a huge variety---2 or 3 full tables---of other cakes and pies and cookies and fancy candies and such. I thought that was a good way to do it. Nobody really likes wedding cake as much as a good German Chocolate cake anyway ;).

(Also probably cheaper! Wedding cake is crazy $$$$$)

Last edited:

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Congratulations I hope you had a wonderful day and all the best for the future :)