Question of The Day. Saturday 9th of January

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi there!

:hellocomputer:

We're going through a very cold period at the moment. It was below zero indoors when I woke up this morning and minus 7C outside. When I went to take a shower my shampoo and conditioner had frozen!

:cold:

Do you get very extreme temperatures where you live? What's the coldest and hottest it gets?

I live up in the mountains, so it's below freezing for most of January and February. It gets down to about -10C at night, but a few years back it got down to -20C. That was just painfully cold!

We have very humid summers, as we're on the monsoon belt. It usually gets up to 35C here, but further down on the plains it gets above 40C. I'm glad I live up here. I'm much better at coping with the cold than the heat.

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow! Frozen shampoo! I never used antifreeze in my car and here we think winter tires are a hoax.
In the western coast of turkey (Mediterranean climate) the lowest extreme is - 2 and not every year. In winter, daytime temperature can even rise to 18 (not often, normally it's around 10).
Our extremes are in summer. 42 to 48 in July and add humidity. It feels like your eyeballs are melting. We prefer air conditioned places. I usually catch a cold in August :) You can see people in the supermarket who have taken sanctuary (aimlessly wandering inside) just like during sudden showers in fall.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our climate is very similar to yours, Norachan Norachan ! We had a cold snap last week and it got down to -18C.
Summers are hot and humid, but we also have the pollution to wrestle with. Makes for some really gross feeling days.
I also much prefer cold to hot. I'm a Minnesotan, so once I remembered that -18C was only 0F, I was instantly more capable of dealing with my 20 minute walk to work.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
In the winter it can be in single digits with below zero wind chills but not often
summers 90s with high humidity and dew points

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have Lake Ontario about 20 miles to our north, and Lake Erie about 35 miles to our southwest, so they help moderate our temperatures somewhat. Still, one morning, while driving to work, the thermometer registered -14F, and there are usually a handful of below zero days. There is no record, however, of a day where it reached 100F, although the records only go back to 1878.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
They're pretty extreme temperatures Norachan Norachan ! I'm sure you're glad you have a bit of elevation to keep the Summer heat down.
We don't have cold winters at all. If it gets down to 0C we're in a state of shock.
But Summers are a killer, and the humidity is just getting worse with global warming. A couple of years ago the Australian climate people had to add another colour to their temperature chart for over 50C (122F). We haven't seen that here.. it happens more inland, but it can get over 40C here in Summer and is usually around max 34 (93F).

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
February is usually when we get our extreme cold, although Mother Nature is unpredictable so we've had deep freezes in other winter months too. It will get down to -25/-30C but wind chills take it up a notch sometimes feeling close to -40C. Our record in my city was -39C with a wind chill of -53C.
Summers can get pretty hot too, but it's due to the humidity. July seems to be the "hot month", but summer here is sooo all over the map. I'd say a heat wave for us is high 20's, low 30's, but our record is 38C. The average July temp is about 25C.

So we get all seasons and all types of temperatures with all types of weather. You really never know what's in store. This year has been (so far) super mild, with not that much snow...and I'm not complaining!

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
The lowest of lows are usually in the 20s here. Highs can get into the 100s. Can we move yet?

Apparently this area had a cold snap where the temps got in the teens in 2014. We weren't in this area then, but I imagine several folks had burst pipes.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eastern Ontario here :)

Summer, on average 25°C, hottest it can reach can be around 37°C.

Winter, average around -11 or -12°C, coldest it has gone reached around -35°C to -40°C.

I'm cool with it! (No pun intended)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it gets way below zero here in NY. It's cold most of the year except for June, July, August. Some days in July get really hot, but I don't mind it. It's better than the cold.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, when we lived in a Japanese house our washcloths would freeze! I don't remember about shampoo though.

In my current house, if it's below zero (-17c) for more than 3 days in a row, the side of my shower that's on the outside wall will develop a sheet of ice. I suppose that wall doesn't have enough insulation :/.

South Dakota has the most ridiculous weather. -20 (-29c) is not uncommon in the winter (not this winter though! 40 (5c) degree highs this week. Very weird) AND 100+ (38c+) in the summer. You'd think we could keep it to one or the other but nooooo. Record low for this part of the state is -47 (-44c) and record high is 116 (47c).

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it gets way below zero here in NY.
Huh, I didn't know that. For some reason I thought NY was less extreme than here and didn't get below zero temps very often.

We normally get about 2 weeks in January where the temp never gets above zero. This winter we've only had a couple times the temp dipped below zero, and only briefly at night. They say the polar vortex may get us next week though, hmph.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Huh, I didn't know that. For some reason I thought NY was less extreme than here and didn't get below zero temps very often.
I'm at the very top of NY by the Canada border. It gets 30 below here. It's mostly cold here, even in the spring and fall. We only get 3 really warm months. I'm always cold.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm at the very top of NY by the Canada border. It gets 30 below here. It's mostly cold here, even in the spring and fall. We only get 3 really warm months. I'm always cold.
Oh, yeah, I was going by what it says about Niagara Falls: "Over the course of the year, the temperature typically varies from 18°F to 80°F and is rarely below 4°F or above 88°F." So my thought was that upstate NY gets more snow than here (lake effect) but isn't as cold. Must depend on the exact location. I bet it's a damper cold there, too! Brrr. At least winters here are dry. Damp cold gets in your bones.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, yeah, I was going by what it says about Niagara Falls: "Over the course of the year, the temperature typically varies from 18°F to 80°F and is rarely below 4°F or above 88°F." So my thought was that upstate NY gets more snow than here (lake effect) but isn't as cold. Must depend on the exact location. I bet it's a damper cold there, too! Brrr. At least winters here are dry. Damp cold gets in your bones.
When you get away from the lakes, upstate NY gets colder than a welldigger's lunch in the winter. In many areas, like the Adirondacks or Catskills, or along the Southern Tier, below zero temps are not uncommon at all. And yes, you can add in lake effect snow for good measure.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The coldest I remember was during the Polar Vortex in January 2014. It was - 40 F with the windchill and - 23 without the windchill. Although I usually prefer winter even those temperatures were too cold for me. Summers are humid and can get anywhere from 95 F to slightly above 100 F.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
The coldest I have ever been is back in the 90’s when we had several days of temperatures staying around minus 30. My furnace went out the first evening of the the cold spell and I didn’t have heat until 2:30 a.m after the second night, so around 28 hours in total. I had space heaters but they couldn’t keep up. Cold and scary.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We don’t have it as extreme as others here. Our summers are usually humid and in the upper 80s to low 90s. We do get over 100 sometimes. Winters are usually in the 30s and 40s during the day. Occasionally we see below zero temps at night. We had our pipes freeze a few times at our old house. I knew where to put a space heater on them to thaw them out. I think I prefer this area’s weather because it doesn’t snow as much as some places. But we still get 4 seasons too. It is tempting to move south though. Or just migrate with the birds! :lol: