Question of The Day. Saturday 8th of May.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Good morning.

It's a lovely day here and I had a few spare hours this morning, so I opened all the windows and gave the house a quick tidy before I started work.

What do you like to have on in the background while you do your chores?

Radio or TV? Talk shows or music? Or are you happy just listening to the voices in your head? ;)

I usually just leave the windows open so I can listen to the birds. I have some of my best ideas while I'm doing something mundane like cleaning, so listening to my own thoughts can be good too. If I have to do something which means I need to sit still for a while, like folding laundry, I'll watch a YouTube video.

What do you like to do?

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
When I am washing the dishes I prefer the sound my budgies make in the background. They are talkative creatures which amuse me. At most times I talk to them back, and they seem to get excited whenever I do that. When I am folding the laundry or ironing clothes I watch Netflix, usually about something funny or a documentary. Ironing or folding clothes bore me to death, so I need a distraction. :)

When I am alone and ready to sleep I hear the voices in my head. Words and ideas riot at times inside my head which leave me tossing and turning. Sometimes I'd get up just to finish a poem, or to look for something that I suddenly remembered about. Hence, I prefer that my Graham or Bourbon cuddle immediately next to me, because the sound of them purring and their warmth give me a strange calmness and reassurance.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Family Road Trip station on Pandora is really fun for cleaning music! They cover a lot of decades hits but every one is positive and fun!

I used to keep the tv on shows like Rachel Ray and stuff when my kids were little or babies. But these days they have school work and provide a lot of conversation themselves. We do often have the local radio station on low or an audio bible. The atmosphere seems more peaceful when we have a bit of background noise that’s not disturbing to our concentration.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep the TV on. I'll usually put it on a movie I like that I've seen before so I can listen, and know what's going on, but not have to actually watch. Or sometimes on sitcom reruns like Friends or Big Bang Theory. Again, I've seen them all but it's still entertaining without me having to watch.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Because it's just me and Ruby, the house is pretty quiet. So I usually have a radio on low volume all the time, as background noise. Once it's warm enough to have the windows open all the time, it will be nice to hear the birds, and other sounds of outside.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I'm going to do a big clean of the house that will take more than an hour, I will listen to music. If I'm just doing some quick chores around the house, then I don't really listen to anything. If I'm working on something in the basement (where my TV is), then I might have the TV on, but I'm rarely downstairs these days because of my puppy.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:lol:never really gave it much thought other than appreciating just how how much effort and work my mom put in. raising myself and my2 lil sisters as a stay at home mom back in the 70s or any mom in this present day.(its not easy!) i just do what needs to be done then relax after i finish only to make a mess again:lol: when graycie wants to play or after cooking our meals.

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Because it's just me and Ruby, the house is pretty quiet. So I usually have a radio on low volume all the time, as background noise. Once it's warm enough to have the windows open all the time, it will be nice to hear the birds, and other sounds of outside.
Hi Rubysmama, do you mind my asking where in Canada you are? I was a member here years ago, but saw a post recently that I wanted to answer, so rejoined. I'm orig. Mtl, lived/worked Toronto x 20 yrs, moved around 2000 to NS with (now) ex and I'm all alone here now in NB (didn't want to stay in NS, but Mtl/T.O. are expensive these days. My one kid is black, 14 and male, from a no-kill in NS, and is a very very 'good' cat, if not a snuggly like my others have been. If you're too snowed with notes here and/or replies, no problem. PS - I'm anything but a 'young cat' but guess that's what they call you when you're new...?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I put on the classical LA radio station KUSC at 5 AM and it stays on until 6 PM in the front of the house. When I go to the computer room where my cats hang out I put on some cat music of some kind from various sources. That is usually on for about 4 hours. If I watch TV it is at night, so the music is turned off then.