Question of The Day. Saturday 7th of December.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only times I don't lock my door are when I run out to the trash, check the mail, or if I have to do something with my car. I've gotten into the habit of always locking my door when I get home though.

I grew up in a safe suburb of Minneapolis and there was a period of several months to probably a year, where we didn't have enough door keys so we just left the front door unlocked a lot of the times when we were out. We eventually got a lock that had a code so the keys were unnecessary, but we never had a break-in. The cars got broken into though because we never locked them.

I learned the hard way to lock my car doors when I first moved to my apartment because someone stole my work badge and phone charger. I don't keep anything of value in my car though, so it wasn't a huge deal, but it did feel very violating.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I was growing up we never locked the doors. Now unless I'm out gardening everything is locked up tight. I don't know what has happened to the world (besides overpopulation). There were never any mass shootings, cars piling into crowds of people on purpose, pocketbooks stolen from the elderly while they briefly picked an item off the shelf, etc. God help us all.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My front door is always locked. I rarely use it. Same with the back door. We have a protocol to ensure that our cats don't get out: we come and go through the garage and make sure the garage door is down before we open the door to the kitchen. We keep that door locked too. Can't imagine leaving doors unlocked the way things are these days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
They have saved my life from many blowing leaves, rabbits and crows just this week alone.:)
Oh, I have a cat that saves my life that way. Any deer walk past, any funny noises, any suspicious looking clouds and he comes in and sprays the front door so the danger can't get us.

:lol:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Our front and back doors lock automatically when they're closed, and I double lock them with a key before we go to bed. Hubby will leave the back door open when he's gardening or bringing in groceries and sometimes forgets to close it again. The backyard is pretty inaccessible, though, and there's a pitbull mix in the other "half" of the house, plus a Shepherd/Husky mix on weekdays, so we don't worry too much about burglars.

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
I lock my door before I go to bed. Not only do I refuse to be a prisoner in my own home, but I have dogs and guns. Besides, I would know long before anyone got to my house, unless they were walking up. In which case, they wouldn't get much if they had to carry it out. Even if they walked up, my dogs would let me know before they got too close.
They have saved my life from many blowing leaves, rabbits and crows just this week alone.:)
😆

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I was young, we'd simply have the unlocked screen door between us and the elements... times have changed and I served in the Infantry, so all doors remain locked except for short trips onto my property. This neighborhood is great, virtually crime-free, but a few weeks ago I caught some crackerhead standing at my carport door after dark (inside my fence line), looking into my home as I was busy cooking dinner. I walked over to hit the carport light and check for the last remaining cat who was still outdoors, and this idiot was right there on the other side of the glass. Said he had knocked (I didn't hear anything, but the radio was on in the kitchen), and he claimed to be looking for his "friend Linda"---but I wasn't buying any of it, only a criminal pulls that sort of behavior, and I told the fool to get lost pronto unless he wanted a beatdown. He split with a bad attitude, saying he'd "seen my car" and that he'd "remember this"---I told him all he had to remember was to never set foot on my property again. As a result of this incident, I've taken to locking both gates out front, just to keep out the riffraff... something I never thought I'd have to do in this little burg. Meh, I've been here since February and this was the only incident of its kind, my neighbors are all cool and they watch out for one another, my sense of things is that this clown was casing my home... and if he actually knew a Linda who lived here and was such a good friend to her, how did he NOT know that she was long gone, AYE??? Pffffft... tweekin' crackerhead. 🤡

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wen don't really use our front door unless I'm running out to get the mail or my mother has stopped over. So it's locked all the time. On the rare occasion I leave the door open to get a cross breeze; I lock the storm door. Even when I was a teenager my grandparents would sleep with their front door open to let cool air in. They never had central air put in and it could get hot at night in their house. Now I don't even like sleeping with the windows open. Too much noise. :lol:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The door is definitely locked all night. We lock it during the day often, but not if somebody is outside or on their way home.

My family members leave the screened windows open in the summer, which I hate. I'm afraid of burglars/murderers, and I don't trust the cats, since Maggie has fallen out the screen before. Plus they fight with the neighbor cat, he flings himself at our windows and put big holes in the screens. If it were up to me, I would keep the windows closed and have central air.