Question of The Day. Saturday 7th of December.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
First Saturday of December and it's snowing here. I'm snuggled up with a cat and a mug of ginger tea.

Do you lock your front door? All the time? Only when you go out? Last thing at night?

I have a habit of locking my front door every time I come in, even if I know I'm going back out in five minutes. That's just what we did in the parts of England I grew up in and I can't get out of the habit now. Mr Husband will only lock the front door if we're both going out. If I'm here he'll leave it unlocked, then I'll lock it, then a minute later he'll be trying to get back in because he's forgotten something going "What did you lock it for? There's no one here but me, you and the cats!"

:lol:

How about you, is your front door always locked?

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine is always locked now. Someone came in about 15 years ago when I didn't have the stick in the slider door. I didn't hear them and they only stole smalls, but it gave me the creeps.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
When I'm traipsing back and forth to the shed, I won't lock the door. And if I'm out in the shed, Rick will keep the front door unlocked for me. Other than that, it's locked. Even if I'm out mowing in the front yard, the door is locked.

One night, I came home from work; Rick was in Oregon, so I was on my own. Walked The Beast, fed the cats their supper, all that good stuff. Later on, I went to bed to read for a while before going to sleep. The next morning, I got ready for work and couldn't find my keys. I looked everywhere. And then I said, "Oh no! You didn't! You did not do that!" But I did. Opened the front door and.....there were my keys, still in the lock.

I remember back when we were kids, when nobody locked their doors, even at night.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We lock up when we leave. Always at night before bed. I don't lock it EVERYTIME I go out, it would be a real pain, i'm in and out too much. We live in a small community, and although there is crime like anywhere else, it isn't as bad as in the big cities. I absolutely LOVE my new electromic deadbolt lock, around 50.00 on Amazon and cheaper even at Menards on sale. One button to lock it, pin to open, no more looking for keys, or locking myself out! And in case any one is wondering, it has been 18 months now and the batteries are still going, I plan on chnaging them at the beginning of the year.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
I'm pretty good about remembering to lock up. The house hasn't been broken into, but the car has when it was in "camper" mode. I wouldn't have minded if they had taken food, blankets, and other things they needed, but prescription bifocal eyeglasses? A patchwork skirt I made over five years ago? You can't turn those things into food or money! Stealing them is just tweakers being crazy!

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless one of us is on the front porch, that door is always locked. The side and back doors are locked most of the time unless one of us is outside and going in and out frequently. We have been lucky, but the people across the street caught a guy in their garage one night a while back, and vehicles have been broken into, and someone attempted to steal the catalytic converter from our vehicle, but were not successful.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always lock the door. My security and safety is important. Even if I'm just going down the hall to the trash room, I lock my door. I have never understood why anyone would leave their house door or car door unlocked and then make a big fuss when something is stolen :dunno: Especially in a city. There are always news stories about college students leaving their doors unlocked at night (dorm room or off campus apartment) and strangers enter to steal stuff or just randomly assault the student in some way.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always lock my doors and car. My sister who lives behind me was broken into twice as well as her cars. There have been many cars broken into in my court and the house across the street from me was broken into.

I am partially handicapped and my sister and neighbor have a key to my front door in case I need help and can't get downstairs.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Unless I am outside or I am going back in and out a lot, the front door is always locked. The back door to the deck does stay open a bit when I am home during the summer for fresh air. Any other time it is closed and locked.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We lock our doors even if we're home. The exception is if one of us is going in and out for whatever reason, and I will sometimes leave the door unlocked when I get home and I know hubby will be home shortly.
I live in a good neighborhood and don't do it due to fear or whatever. It's just a habit that my husband started me on (he used to live in a area where you locked your doors at all times, so it was habit for him) and it just stuck.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I'm traipsing back and forth to the shed, I won't lock the door. And if I'm out in the shed, Rick will keep the front door unlocked for me. Other than that, it's locked. Even if I'm out mowing in the front yard, the door is locked.

One night, I came home from work; Rick was in Oregon, so I was on my own. Walked The Beast, fed the cats their supper, all that good stuff. Later on, I went to bed to read for a while before going to sleep. The next morning, I got ready for work and couldn't find my keys. I looked everywhere. And then I said, "Oh no! You didn't! You did not do that!" But I did. Opened the front door and.....there were my keys, still in the lock.

I remember back when we were kids, when nobody locked their doors, even at night.
I've done that too. :rolleyes2:

We keep the door locked all the time.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Growing up in a big city I never knew otherwise so, yes, we always lock our doors. But our dog would hear an intruder or anyone else for that matter way before we would and had a ferocious bark. ;)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do lock the front door whenever I'm gone or inside, not because I'm afraid of bad guys, but because I'm afraid of someone accidentally letting the cats out or getting jumped by the dogs---UPS/FedEx delivery people will often open the front door to deliver parcels, or visitors will open the door to poke their heads in to see if you're home.

I often leave the back door without the deadbolt on, but the knob is still locked because the cats know how to open the door lever :/.

At night all the doors are locked and deadbolted.

My aunt (who also lives in the country in the same area) always leaves her doors unlocked when nobody is home, because she says anyone who wants to get inside is going to do it no matter what, and she'd rather not have to replace a broken window. But she doesn't have any pets that could escape.

If I'm outside mowing or something I don't lock it; I hope I see anyone driving in before they have a chance to open the door.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
and don't do it due to fear or whatever. ...
I do lock the front door whenever I'm gone or inside, not because I'm afraid of bad guys, ...
Doesn't really matter where you live, or if you have fear or not, stuff can happen and I feel it's just plain common sense to lock your doors. Yep, it can happen even w/ doors locked, but... why make it easier for people?

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I happen to be outside gardening, the door is unlocked, but the rest of the time it is locked. My car is always locked. We have never had a break in but I am not tempting fate.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
On weekends, when we're in and out of the house gardening and things like that, we sometimes have the front door and sliding glass doors unlocked. Otherwise, doors are always locked.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lock my door before I go to bed. Not only do I refuse to be a prisoner in my own home, but I have dogs and guns. Besides, I would know long before anyone got to my house, unless they were walking up. In which case, they wouldn't get much if they had to carry it out. Even if they walked up, my dogs would let me know before they got too close.
They have saved my life from many blowing leaves, rabbits and crows just this week alone.:)