Question of The Day. Saturday 5th of December.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hello.

:wave3:

If money was no object and you could buy a really nice Christmas present for one person you know, what would you buy and who would you buy it for?

I'd buy something for my poor, long-suffering husband. First of all I thought he might like a shed. Not a gorgeous She-Shed like Winchester Winchester made, just a little man cave where he could store his snowboards and climbing gear and maybe do pull-ups from the rafters.

Or maybe he'd like a man-cave on wheels. Something like a 4WD camper van with a roof rack so he could carry all he gear with him when he goes to the mountains.

What would you buy?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would buy a house or apartment away from my mom, for me and Dad, and the cats. We would have all the things we need, especially a laundry room and utility sink.

Anybody else, I would probably just give them a gift card or check. Or take them out to lunch/dinner/coffee when Corona is over. People are really specific about what they like, so I would have to know they would use/like what I give them.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
If money was no object and you could buy a really nice Christmas present for one person you know, what would you buy and who would you buy it for?
I'd get my husband a big garden allotment that was nearby, fenced in, had a greenhouse, parking, and storage sheds on it, and was located right next to a good-sized stream

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
There are some tools and equipment that Dear Richard would like to have, but they are beyond our reach and probably always will be. I'd buy those for him and then get him a larger equipment shed than the one he has now for his "stuff". A small greenhouse next to the garden. It may sound silly to buy yard equipment, but believe me, he would be thrilled.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd do something for my poor lonely sister living in the north of England, in a falling down cottage, trying to look after herself and at least 15 stray cats. A couple of years ago Cat Protection picked up the cats they thought they could rehome. Unbelievably, one of these cats returned to my sister very pregnant, which is why, once more, she now has far too many cats. They are not healthy (worms and fleas), the kittens need neutering.
I'm not sure what she needs most: transport (to get her and the cats to the vet); a modern house in an area with better facilities, support from a more sympathetic and competent local charity? Covid 19 means that her daughters (both at university) will probably not be able to visit her at Christmas. She's always suffered from depression. I wanted her to come and live with me in Germany - but she won't leave the cats.
So, if I had enough spare cash, I would charter a plane and bring her and the cats and anyone else in the family wanting to get out of the UK to come and live with me!

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd pay off my brother's house. He really got the short end of the stick when he initially bought it as he got furloughed (was the most junior at the railroad union) literally the same day he signed the papers, and so he sort of started off way behind.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are so many things I would do/buy. But the first thing would be, that I would hire a private nurse / companion for my Grandmother who still lives on her own, but should really be in a facility. At 89, her mind is still sharp, and overall she can care for herself physically, but she has advanced COPD and asthma, has type II diabetes, and she is also almost blind. So cleaning and cooking are difficult, and due to losing her breath, she is SO SLOW at everything. The poor thing needs to take a break to catch her breath just by walking to the bathroom...And due to the blindness, she's had to give up some of the things she used to enjoy that helped pass the time. So someone to play games/cards with her and take care of all the "house stuff" would be great. but also the nursing part would come in handy due to her medical issues.
This would not only help my Grandmother but also my Mom who is her primary caregiver.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
If money were no object I would help both my daughters with their expenses. I'd help one pay for her Ph.D. since she just started this year and has a long way to go. Then I would buy a condo for the other, nothing too big but she's always dreamed of owning a place of her own. Last but not least, I spoke to a dear friend yesterday who was forced to leave her home of 20 years because her husband is disabled and ill due to MS. They had to move to a supportive living facility which I can tell has made her very depressed. So I would buy back her house and pay for a live-in caregiver for her husband.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have someone build my hubby a honey house,with electricity and air and running water,both hot and cold.He would have plenty of storage for all his "bee stuff" and a designated area for extracting and bottling,another for raising his queens.It's always been out of reach for us and I know he would love it!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would buy my DD and her fiance the house of their dreams. Furniture and all. She also wants a Pom-chi puppy or two I think. I'd get her a pair of siblings. :cloud9:

Last edited:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A year of daycare at a good school for my friend who had her first baby last week. She found out after she was pregnant that her work didn't provide short-term disability unless you signed up for it before a certain point, so she has no money coming in except for her husband's income until she's off maternity leave. Daycare is ridiculously expensive, so if I could help in some way, it would be worth it.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have someone build my hubby a honey house,with electricity and air and running water,both hot and cold.He would have plenty of storage for all his "bee stuff" and a designated area for extracting and bottling,another for raising his queens.It's always been out of reach for us and I know he would love it!
We definitely need bees! My husband wants to start this, but he talks a lot lol!