Question of The Day. Saturday 2nd of May

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hello, Happy Saturday.

Today’s question is .....

Are there any words that you struggle to pronounce ?

My husband has been making me laugh recently because he can't say mow the lawn. It comes out as low the morn.

:flail:

I have trouble with chaos, for ages I pronounced it as chay-os and if I don't pay close attention I still find myself starting with a ch rather than a k.

What do you struggle with?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm usually ok with pronunciation... (I was sent off to Art of Speech lessons as a child :rolleyes2:) but Welsh place names had me floored. Good thing the Welsh are used to it. :lol:

Sometimes you sort of have to spit. (sorry Welsh-ites.. it's a beautiful language :hugs:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can't think of any I mispronounce, but probably some Portuguese words I mispronounce. :silver:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I seem to have a problem with debris. instead of saying de'bree I tend to say derbris. i read too much and take words literally. Nonetheless, to say, I avoid that word! I have one mangling of the English language that I will never live down, my family has a tendency to bring up, and that is..."my steering wheel has a lot of play in it" I said instead, "my steering wheel has a lot of foreplay" needless to say everyone thought it was hilarious!

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I cant say Specific. It’s comes out as Pacific :paperbag:
I had loads of people try and teach me, but nope.... it still comes out as Pacific. I just don’t use that word now, I think of another word instead :running:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I can spell, but I can't pronounce!

I want to say Yose-mite instead of Yo-sem-i-tee.
I want to say Ep-i-tome instead of E-pit-o-me. I did say Ep-i-tome when I was talking to my GF one night and I thought she was going to pee her pants laughing at me. We were at DD and everybody was staring at us, because we were laughing so much.

And Worcestershire. One day we were at the store and Rick asked me if we'd forgotten anything. Well, rather than deal with Rick making fun of me, I said, "Oh, that spicy brown stuff in the Condiments section". Rick looked at me like I had completely lost my mind. "You mean Worcestershire?" "Yeah, that's it! I couldn't remember the name." "Nice save, Pam. I know you can't pronounce it!" "WHATEVER!" But he knew exactly what I meant.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quinoa and Aspartame. And there's a town/street that I can never say right, Rensselaer. It's pronounced Rensler.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And there's a town/street that I can never say right, Rensselaer. It's pronounced Rensler.
There's no accounting for names, whether for humans or places. In SD, you say Pierre as "peer", Lead as "leed", Sinai as "SY-nee-aye", and Hayti as "HAY-ty". And Beatrice, NE is "bee-AT-trice".

I tend to stumble over words when I speak, but if I slow down and think about it, I can't think of any I really can't say. My mom can't pronounce "Lazarus" though. She always says "Lazarith", even if you make her say it slowly. We like to tease her about that. And she says warrior as "woyer". I think "waryer" would be ok but you gotta get that R in there!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
As a child grammar and phonics were stressed in school so pronunciation was not a problem for me. As an adult the only word I can think of that always throws me is exacerbate. It just doesn't roll off my tongue easily. :dunno:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
There's no accounting for names, whether for humans or places.
Yep. I only recently found out that Ploughkeepsie is pronounced Perkipsee, not plough-keep-see.

Winchester Winchester have you ever been to the UK? Worcestershire is tough, but Gloucestershire, Bideford and Frome are worse for anyone not from the South West of England.

Oh, and Keynsham! I used to live near that town, it was hilarious hearing anyone but locals trying to say it sometimes.