Question of The Day. Saturday 28th of November.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Good morning.

:hellocomputer:

It's almost the end of November and Christmas is looming.

How do you usually celebrate Christmas? What are your plans for this year?

I don't usually celebrate at all. My family haven't done Christmas since I was about 12 and now, living in a Buddhist country, December 25th is just a regular working day.

I sometimes do Secret Santa with friends in other countries but this year it's difficult to ship parcels internationally, what with the old Covid situation, so that's not happening either..

December 25th is my day off this year though, so I might go for a long hike. If we've had the first snow by then it will be looking really pretty around here.

❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄

What are your plans?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It will be just another day here too. It's just me and the cats. I'm not putting decorations or a tree up for a few reasons. One, it's just me. Two, Sophie would see a tree as a jungle gym and would destroy it in one day. Three, what does not go up does not need to come down. That's the worst part about the holidays. Putting everything away. :lol:

Last edited:

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
normally i go to my mother in laws for the traditional family brunch then we open gifts and visit . later we travel to one of her sister's place to have a party but due to covid we wont be doing the traveling to her sisters just having the family brunch and then everyone goes home

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Christmas Eve at Nicole's..very relaxed, appetizers, etc. We sometimes watch A Christmas Carol
the one with Alistair Sims. She makes a big dinner Christmas night. I can't do both so I usually
skip that.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Normally, we would decorate the house with some lights- Michele always favored those cascading icicle lights strung from the gutters- but no more. She says that I'm too old to be climbing up a ladder to put them up and remove them. We will, however, be putting out the carolers scene as that just goes on the front porch.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My family has never really celebrated Christmas. Sure, as kids we'd put up a teeny table top fake tree and have a "fancier" dinner than usual with a few relatives but that was it.

These days I spend a quiet day with the cats. I refuse to work Christmas now. I had a horrible experience one year at a horrible job being bullied to work Christmas Day and the retaliation afterwards :censored: I no longer work there but still will not work Christmas Day. Sorrt of PTSD from the horrible experience maybe.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Normally, Christmas/the Holidays is a chaotic whirlwind. We visit my Mom's side, my Dad's side, my MIL's side and FIL's side. Then there is the extended family (well, some...not all). We also have my step mom's B-day on Boxing Day, so we try to fit that in somewhere, as well as my niece's B-day in the very beginning of January.....
This year, we don't have any plans so far.....let's just say, I'm not that disappointed if we hunker down and don't see anyone! LOL!
I will obviously see some family to drop off gifts and what not, but a far as I know there won't be any family "gatherings".

As for decorating..I haven't figured that out yet...I think I'm going to just put up my small tree this year and maybe a few lights in the windows...Nothing crazy.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm working Christmas Eve and Christmas Day this year. I think we are gonna get a dinner from The Honeybaked Ham and just do something low-key. We are going to visit B's mom over New Years.....sigh.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In past years we have gone to my sons on Christmas day to celebrate with my granddaughter and the rest of the family. I am doing more decorating this year to get myself into the spirit. We are staying home this year and will be talking via computer like we did for Thanksgiving. It will bring back memories of when we were first married and didn't have a bunch of kids yet. I already have my tree up and will continue to bring decorations up from the basement that haven't been up in years! I would like to decorate outside, but not sure I will - I am not sure my lights still work.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We would do Christmas Eve with family (my cousins as a Child and just my family once we were grown and on our own), and I'd go to midnight Mass, and growing up, Christmas Day was always at home. I think in a normal year (of which last and this year aren't), we would drive to the in-laws later on Christmas or the Day after to celebrate there.

This is our first year owning a house and my husband is decorating the outside with lights and we'll be getting a Christmas tree. Then we'll be hunkered down on baby watch and I'll probably watch Mass on youtube.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Once the kids grew up and moved away we started celebrating the holidays with our neighbors who all have animals. One lovely neighbor would invite several different families over for a late morning/early afternoon brunch. Not all our neighbors celebrate Christmas, we are a unique group of several different religions. :rbheart: But like so many have said, this year it won't be happening due to the Covid concerns.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually it is Christmas Eve with my son and his gf at my house and then Christmas day with my sister’s family (about 15 people) and my mom. It isn’t going to be popular but I am not planning to attend this year. Too many people in the 13-25 age group.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its DH’s busy season so he only gets Christmas day off. On Christmas Eve we go to the candlelight service at church. People generally stay and chat afterwards. People who have moved on tend to come back to visit so its like a family gathering in some ways. Usually there is some kind of appetizer potluck afterwards. It always used to be at someone’s house but it’s been at the church too. They used to do gag gift exchanges too. Our church is smaller than it used to be but I don’t know what this year will have. Definitely not an after-gathering. My kids have just gotten big enough to handle being out late at night within the last few years. So that will definitely be missed. The church gives the kids gifts too. They get to open those Christmas Eve.

After we get home we have a shrimp ring and eggnog. My kids have Christmas pjs so we do pictures. This year DD and I have matching ones. DH and DS do as well. Then I stay up wrapping stuff! Christmas Day is usually dinner at my house with my mom and stepdad. And phone calls with everyone else. The kids open stockings first while I get cinnamon buns (from a pop can) in the oven. Then we open presents. Since my mom and stepdad are our only local family; we should still be together for Christmas. Especially since our septic issues mean we are seeing them several times a week right now. I’m praying they are resolved by then!!

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think my daughter in law's family is doing their Christmas on Christmas eve,so they get to come here on Christmas day.We try and take turns with the holidays and her family as there are so many more of them than just the 2 of us.I haven't a clue about what we'll eat as of yet....ideas but nothing set in stone.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
We don’t have any set traditions. Left to myself, I wouldn’t do much for it but there are grandkids now so we do more than we used to. We usually celebrate at my stepdaughter’s house with a Christmas Eve dinner with both sides of the family.

This year with COVID the family dinner isn’t happening. If the weather holds, we may try to do an outdoor BBQ or something here with kids and grandkids to give the grandkids their gifts, but that isn’t decided yet.

I may switch out the fall-themed dining room table runner with a red and green one. :lol:

1606675657821.gif