Question of The Day. Saturday 27th of February.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It's the last weekend of February! The warmer weather will be here soon.

:bliss:

Do you plant a garden in the spring? Do you have a big garden or just a little plot? Do you grow flowers or vegetables?

I have a fairly big space, but most of it is just left wild for the cats to enjoy. I plant all around the deck and in big planters that I put out on the deck too. Vegetables don't do well here, so I stick to flowers. I love lupines, fox gloves, lavender, petunia, morning glories............ anything that will grow here really. I tried growing cat nip here last year but the cats had half killed the plants before I even got them into the ground. So no more cat nip plants for them.

:dizzycat:

What do you plant?

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I grow vegetables. The flowers I do grow, marigolds, are to keep insects away from the vegetables. I have five, 4x8 raised beds. I use organic fertilizer and I irrigate using filtered water using a drip system. I grow spring onions, peppers - hot and sweet, tomatoes, green beans and sometimes other vegetables, squash, peas or eggplant. I grow mostly things that I can't get at the store - big thick spring onions, real hot peppers, assorted tasty sweet peppers, half runner green beans and home grown tomatoes. I was preparing the beds today. I'm getting excited!

Green beans.
IMG_6754.JPG

A day's harvest of jalapeños.
IMG_7105 (2).JPG

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am back in an apartment so no garden. I grew up on a farm so there was always a big garden, both flowers and vegetables and fruit. We had watermelon, cantaloupe, strawberries, asparagus, tomatoes, peas, green beans, new potatoes, bell peppers, eggplant, sweet corn, lettuce, and squash. For flowers we had climbing roses, peonies, a lilac bush and planted zinnias every year. We tried fruit trees but they didn't do well so we went to an orchard every year for apples, peaches and pears. We did a lot of canning and freezing every year.

Last edited:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We grow mostly flowers- tulips, daisies, coneflowers, phlox, delphiniums, lilies, daffodils, clematis, coreopsis, amsonia, and black-eyed Susans. The gardens are small as our space is limited, so the only vegetables we grow are tomatoes, and only 2 plants of those, but maybe this year I will expand the beds slightly, as it will be that much less grass to cut.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
This year for the first time, I'd like to try my hand at planting roses, yikes!! and tomatoes, yum

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, we put a garden out. Not sure of the size anymore as we keep adding to it. We have asparagus as a perennial. Rick put in three 4 x 8 raised beds last year and will put a fourth raised bed in this year. Let me see: butternut squash, corn, green and wax beans, Carmen peppers, sweet potatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, strawberries (in a raised bed), and lots of tomatoes.

This year, we're adding potatoes and cabbage to the mix. And some lima beans. A few broccoli plants, as I love fresh broccoli, but don't care for it frozen. I'm also adding quite a few Roma tomato plants bc I want to freeze paste. I dehydrated tomatoes last year to get four pints of tomato powder; I used 1-1/2 pints of powder so far this year. I also got 2 pints of dried pepper powder and am working my way through that.

I don't can much of anything. Zucchini relish....usually a triple batch now bc so many people like the stuff. Every other year, I can white wine onions (wonderful with beef) and sometimes a batch of Old Farmhouse Chutney. If I could grow decent cucumbers, I'd can pickles. I freeze our vegetables. We always hit a fruit orchard in the Gettysburg, PA area for our yearly apple run. And then I freeze lots of apple sauce for Rick.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have several flower gardens/beds, but need to get rid of some of them...it's just too much. They are filled with perennials. I have juniper and holly bushes, clematis, bleeding hearts, iris, tiger lily, chinese lanterns, lily of the valley, forget me not, little...pansies?, daisies, crocus, variety of ferns, "ground cover" - not sure the specific names, and a few other that I have no idea what they are....I've let them get pretty wild in the last few years so I also have random weeds mixed in. Oh and the squirrels have also planted some trees for me....they need to be dug out.
I also have 2 raised garden beds. One is about 20x6 and the other 8x6. I haven't planted anything in the last 2 years but will try this year. Normally I plant cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes, potatoes and onions. But have also planted zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce...not sure what will be planted this year. I do want to plant green and yellow beans sometime...perhaps this will be the year for that. I also want to try my hand at radish...my husband likes them in salads so we'll see...

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of my gardens are perennials. They do require a great deal of Spring work but then are pretty much set for the summer. I do plant leeks and an occasionally a tomato plant and I also plant begonias in one shady spot where nothing else grows.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
One of the fondest memories I have of my dad was building this garden from scratch.
IMG_1289.JPG
IMG_1292.JPG

Now that I'm in my new house (and once I'm not working 12-16 hours a day), I'll build a new garden.
I plan to grow tomatoes, corn, cucumbers, lettuce, blackberries and strawberries.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a veggie garden and I think I’m up to 2 dozen potted annuals. My veggies are limited to multiple beans because they freeze well, peas, carrots, lima beans, tomatoes and peppers. I’ve decided its just better to get my cukes and zucchini from a farm stand than fight the mildews.

For flowers I always get petunias, calibrachoa, gerbera daises and then whatever else strikes my fancy at the garden center. They make me happy just to look outside and see the color. And sometimes hummingbirds close to the house.

I do have hosta, phlox and bleeding hearts in the back but that garden isn’t as shady right now after losing a big tree so I might change it up a bit.

I have roses in my front yard and lilacs on the side. I want a light yellow rose bush for Noodles and more lilacs because my bushes got attacked with something. DH says we need to focus on the grass this year. My yard is a mud factory at the moment. 😩

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, just vegetables. I'm not really into flowers and the cats try to eat them. It used to be a huge garden covering a big section of the back field, but now it is cut in half.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only bought my house last year and at the time, I was planning on waiting until this year to actually start a garden. I've been working on a plan and mapping out an area in my yard, I just need to do a little more research before I feel ready.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We only have a small garden, but we've tried to fill it with flowers so in the spring and summer it's very bee and wasp friendly. We have snowdrops, helibore, daffodils, crocuses and even some bluebells growing right now.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Autumn here, and the heat and humidity that makes it difficult to maintain the veggie patch is over.
I'm a 'greens freak'... especially spinach.
And my pawpaws and looking pretty good..I'll plant more this year.