Question of The Day. Saturday 26th of December.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had roast beef and gravy,yorkshire pudding,brocolli and cheese casserole,dinner rolls (I was going to fix a fancy tossed salad but forgot it and they were okay with that)and dessert was pumpkin cheese pie,a cannoli cheesecake and our daughter in law brought a french silk pie with crumbled peppermint stick on top.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK, I'll bite, what is Spotted Dick pudding?

My sister brought me some green bean casserole, corn pudding, vegetarian dressing and
mushroom gravy.
Spotted dick recipe: how to make the classic British pudding

It's a traditional English pudding which is what we would think of as a heavy moist cake, like plum pudding. The spotted comes from the raisins or currants the 'dick' comes from part of the British word for pudding. The traditional recipe has suet in it but there are probably modern versions that use something else for the fat in the recipe. It is usually served with some kind of sauce.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I ate Christmas Eve dinner with my sisters. It was not traditional. One sister made curried vegetable soup served with yogurt and rice. I made beets with onions, lemon and rosemary. Then we spoiled the whole healthy meal thing by having Sugar Cake!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Growing up with an Italian Grandma I used to have a big meal on Christmas Eve and then Christmas day with my other Grandparents. So my Mom and I decided since we couldn't go to church for a candlelight service; we'd revive some of those traditional Christmas Eve dishes plus some Puerto Rican ones for my step-dad, etc.

Christmas Eve:
Shrimp
Baccala (Cod salad, my Grandma's recipe)
Cod fillets
Some kind of Puerto Rican pork roast (Pernil possibly?)
Pierogi (because my other Grandma was Polish)
Arroz con gandules
Pasta with lemon and truffle oil
Sweet Potato Casserole (my MIL's recipe for DH)
Pasteles

Drinks: Coquito (the kids had it without the rum)

Dessert was: Apple and pumpkin pies and blackberry cheesecake (I was too full; I fell asleep and had nothing! Could have been the Coquito combined with lack of sleep too though. :lol:)

Christmas Day:
Lasagna (prepared by my DD under my mother's supervision! I'm seriously impressed by my kid! :lol:)
Homemade sauce (by me)
Ham
Broccoli/carrot/cauliflower/sugar snap pea/water chestnut mix topped with butter and breadcrumbs
Shrimp
Garlic bread

Dessert: Apple and pumpkin pie and 7 kinds of cookies

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I splashed out and had a grilled cheese sandwich, hardly any washing up.
Genius! That's the kind of cooking I like.
No fried chicken???
No, not for me. I'm a vegetarian. The cats all had steamed chicken breast though.
OK, I'll bite, what is Spotted Dick pudding?
Weird British food. I have relatives who eat things like Toad in The Hole, Suet Pudding, Black Blood Pudding, Jellied Eels and Spotted Dick.

:running:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Nicole dropped off appetizers on Eve; it had begun snowing and by Day we were all
snowed in. I had decided not to go because no one was going to wear a mask and I
didn't want to be around people I hadn't seen for awhile.

Day after Day morning, Nicole and Daniel dropped off Day dinner and gifts

I haven't finished eating it yet.

Prime rib
cheesy potatoes
green salad
fruit salad
green bean casserole
rolls
cheesecake
sugar cookies
pumpkin cake

not certain how to reheat rib

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Christmas Eve:
Shrimp
Baccala (Cod salad, my Grandma's recipe)
Cod fillets
Some kind of Puerto Rican pork roast (Pernil possibly?)
Pierogi (because my other Grandma was Polish)
Arroz con gandules
Pasta with lemon and truffle oil
Sweet Potato Casserole (my MIL's recipe for DH)
Combining the Feast of the Seven Fishes with Puerto Rican pork roast, that is about as American as it gets. Combining traditions from different parts of the world.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spotted dick recipe: how to make the classic British pudding

It's a traditional English pudding which is what we would think of as a heavy moist cake, like plum pudding. The spotted comes from the raisins or currants the 'dick' comes from part of the British word for pudding. The traditional recipe has suet in it but there are probably modern versions that use something else for the fat in the recipe. It is usually served with some kind of sauce.
Weird British food. I have relatives who eat things like Toad in The Hole, Suet Pudding, Black Blood Pudding, Jellied Eels and Spotted Dick.

:running:
It sounds pretty good except for the suet.
The British sure have have some funny names for things.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had planned on ham, scalloped potatoes, steamed mustard greens, French bread and apple pie. I had a last minute change of mind since I had an attack of the lazys. Instead I made a Stouffers frozen lasagna, salad, French bread and apple pie. The bread was homemade. I even bought the pie. It was only hubby and me so I didn't have to impress anyone - it was just a meal.