Question of The Day. Saturday 26th of December.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Good morning and Happy Boxing Day, for those of you that like in the UK.

What did you have for Christmas dinner? Did you have a traditional meal or something different?

Christmas isn't much of a thing in the country I live in, and I'm not going to risk my life attempting to actually cook anything, so I had a rather untraditional Christmas dinner.

I went to one of those kaiten sushi restaurants and had:

Green tea.
Miso soup with green seaweed.
Vinegared rice with omelet slices.
Sweet corn salad.
Deep fried tofu pouches stuffed with rice, pickled ginger and seaweed.
Honey glazed sweet potatoes with black sesame seeds.

It was all very nice and much better than anything I could have tried to make myself.

What did you have?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I baked a twenty lb. ham and had scalloped potatoes to go with it. We dined at the inlaws house here in town and brought plenty of leftovers to my daughter, son in law, and grandson when we visited the next day. it was a small gathering because of the covid restrictions, but our area is improving. None of us here really go anywhere and visited the younger generation last so just in case we don't carry something to the old. Now we all hunker down and wait for spring!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Christmas dinner was ham, macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes and gravy and King's Hawaiian rolls.

Christmas breakfast was palacinke.

Christmas Eve we had cocktail meatballs, a cheese ball and crackers.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We haven't had our Christmas dinner yet...were having it tonight. We did some (safe) visiting Christmas day with my Mom, Step Dad and Grandmother, and they had snacks and appetizers laid out...The plan was to have dinner yesterday, but we were both still too full from eating at my Mom's that afternoon. So today, I will make the Christmas dinner I was supposed to for the two of us.
The menu this evening is:
Cornish Hens
Dressing
Mashed potatoes
A green bean side dish sauteed with onions, water chestnuts and almonds in it.
Fresh baked baguette
Instead of a salad, I'm putting out veggies and dip.
And I haven't figured out dessert yet....we have so much home baked goods already, I don't really need to make anything else.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Norachan Norachan No fried chicken???

I had pizza from my neighborhood place. Nothing really special here. I saw sooooo many couples with cake boxes. I guess that's what's traditional here. They adopted the fried chicken tradition from Japan (because no one loves fried chicken more than Koreans!) and then there's cake.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
We were a little spoiled: green salad, roasted turkey with rosemary infused giblet gravy, smoked Gouda mashed potatoes, roasted Brussels sprouts with cranberries. For dessert we had the mini chocolate lava cakes I made earlier in the week.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We went to my mother-in-law's. She was vaccinated recently, so, thankfully, we were able to see her this year. His family is really big on Christmas. It was very upsetting to her that she would not get to see us. She plans on having several little Christmases with all her children except her daughter, who will be coming to our house for Twelfth Night, which is when they will finally get to see each other. (She is getting tested and then quarantining before coming. My daughter-in-law and I do not go anywhere, and the rest of the family has regular testing through work and may be vaccinated soon, so we are keeping things safe.)

Anyway, she made ham and mac-and-cheese. I took green beans, asparagus, carrots, and homemade bread. I made raspberry crepes for dessert.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had ham, scalloped potatoes, baked beans, a mix of broccoli cauliflower and carrots, cranberry sauce and yeast rolls. I had pecan pie later. It was just me so a lot of leftovers. We did do the internet meeting. A couple of the grandkids are still little so the meeting was early Christmas morning so I could be part of the gift opening.