Question of The Day. Saturday 24th of October.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My collection-

2 ply-

View attachment 356159

3 ply and filters-

View attachment 356158

If someone had told you last year that you would start a face mask collection in 2020, would you have believed them?
nope i would have laughed at em then again i would never have thought times would become so chaotic either if i could live of the land someplace in the country i would raise chickens a few veggies and wait all this virus ,election stuff out :lol:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
If someone had told you last year that you would start a face mask collection in 2020, would you have believed them?
I wish I didn't wear glasses. My mask choices have to depend on how good it is at not fogging my glasses rather than how cute it is, lol.
Katie M Katie M I would have never believed anybody who would have told me that. Even now, it still almost seems surreal. And the fact that we just do it now without really even thinking about it and the fact that I just wash them without even thinking about it makes it that much more surreal. With us, it's just become OK now. And I think that's just sad. We'll be wearing them for a long time to come, I'm afraid.

W Willowy I have noticed that, with my masks anyway, if I put the mask on and then put my glasses so that they're lying on top of the top of my mask, my glasses don't seem to fog up that badly. Hope that made sense!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a few fabric masks. One is red with white hearts and paw prints. The other is a yellow, gray and white print. I don’t go out that often so that’s been enough. I bought a cute floral one in Etsy but its too small for my face. My others have ribbon ear loops so they are custom to me. I’ve found them much more easy on the ears than the elastic too.

I actually bought fabric to make some myself but I never got around to it. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Some were to match DH’s work uniform; but he finds the gaters better because hes not around people that much either.

I just bought DD a hoodie at Walmart that came with 2 masks. They have ear loops but if you have the hood up you can just velcro them in to the hood. One is a cat face too Norachan Norachan .

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I wear a cloth reusable face mask when going into stores and, as a few others have said, wash it by hand. It's difficult to find ones that fit properly because obviously they don't come in sizes like clothes. I finally found one that worked for me so bought a few more. When I'm outdoors or walking I social distance because it's refreshing not to have the mask on.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have 3 patterned reusable ones I bought from someone who was making them locally, back before masks were readily available in stores. I also have a cat paws which I found in a store. Plus a box of disposable ones, that I use for hair salon appointments, when hair dye is involved, plus anytime I don't want to wear a reusable one.

Something to keep in mind when you're discarding disposable masks, is to cut the straps before you throw them away, to help protect animals from getting caught or tangled up in them.

People warned to snip straps off disposable masks after charity frees hundreds of animals

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something to keep in mind when you're discarding disposable masks, is to cut the straps before you throw them away, to help protect animals from getting caught or tangled up in them.
Ugh those poor animals. I just snipped the strings automatically, I didn't know they actually were causing trouble. My grandma's cat (who lives with my mom since my grandma died) was badly tangled in a 6-pack ring when we found her, so now I automatically snip any and all enclosed things before I throw them away.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only go shopping or to work 3 or 4 times a week so I don't need many masks, though I do keep a pack of disposable masks in the car. (I was recently stopped by police so I was glad to have a mask in the glove compartment!)
At the beginning of the outbreak, I made quite a few cotton masks to sell for the animal charity I volunteer for and kept my first efforts to test in the washing machine. They wash well so I was happy not to have to wash them by hand. But, my best discovery was that ties at the back of the head work much better for me - with glasses and two hearing aids there is not much room behind my ears and if my glasses stayed on my nose, one of the hearing aids would go flying when I tried to take the mask off.
Here is my old favorite (most comfortable mask with ties) and the one I was given yesterday to wear when I deliver boxes of pet food to people in need. It was made by one of the charity's more professional needlewomen. :)
CIMG6870.JPG

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't wear the masks much, they are most important when you are closer than 6 feet around people not from your household. Around here it is a lot easier to stay away from others. After all, it doesn't prevent you from getting Covid, it just helps you from spreading it to others. The virus is small enough to just go into your eyes anyway or onto your hands or clothes, just waiting to be spread. Hand washing and sanitizers are very important though. Our state isn't horribly infected, and our population is mostly rural. When I do wear a mask it is a disposable one. Touching the mask often, such as when reapplying it, or putting it in the washer is a good way to spread the virus. If you wear these, I would carry a plastic bag to put it in and try to just touch that when putting it in the washer. The best way to avoid Covid is to stay away from big crowds. We still have counties that have had only a couple of cases.
I think the latest is that it can help stop you from getting the virus as long as everyone is wearing them and staying distant. In any case, it's the polite think to wear one in case you have it and are asymptomatic so you don't give it to someone who is at high risk.The thing to remember is that wearing it over your mouth protects others but wearing it over your nose protects you.

As for me, hardly leaving the house these days since I've been working from home and having groceries and other stuff delivered, but always wear a mask when I do and stay as far away from other people as I can. Both of us are older with underlying conditions, so I don't like to take chances.

I have the first two that I bought from a friend of my sisters that have ties, but then I got a bunch of other ones but nothing fancy. Most of them black or other neutral colors. I bought from several different places trying to get one that was comfortable to my husband. I do have a box of the disposables as well that I got at the beginning.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep a bag of home made masks in the car along with a box of disposable. Since I reuse my homemade masks I have a lidded box in the car to drop them into after wearing. I switch the box out once a week and let the just removed box sit for a week. Then I open it, take the masks out, straighten them and give them a spritz or disinfectant. After treating them I bag them and they go back into the car. The disposable ones get bagged and then tossed.

jeannem

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 2. One goes behind the ears and the 2nd my sister in law made. I ties behind the head. I will start using it when my allergies start back up in February and my nose is all stuffed up.
j

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I didn't wear glasses. My mask choices have to depend on how good it is at not fogging my glasses rather than how cute it is, lol.
Me too. I even bought stick-on metal nose bridges for my masks and it does nothing. I've tried wearing my glasses so they are on top of an edge of the mask, it still does nothing. I end up usually just taking off my glasses. Thankfully I have a pretty low prescription and can see fairly well without them, things are just a little blurry.

My masks are two patterns, both in honor of Schitt's Creek. One has David Rose saying, "I'm trying very hard not to connect with people right now." (I probably butchered the exact quote). The other is Moira Rose and it says Bebé It's Cold Outside.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I know, it's crazy isn't it? And now I'm looking at everyone else's mask collection wishing I had some like that.
:lol:
I wish I didn't wear glasses.
They can be tricky with long hair and lots of earrings too. Before I put my mask on I have to tie my hair up, then put the mask on, untangle my earrings from the ear loops and finally untie my hair and brush it again.
:runaround:
I automatically snip any and all enclosed things before I throw them away.
Good for you! I subscribe to a YouTube channel of people who rescue seals who are tangled up in trash people throw in the ocean. They post new videos every day. Every day there are more seals in need of help because of plastic bags, fishing lines or packing straps from parcels. Even old t-shirts can be deadly if they end up in the ocean.

Some of the injuries are horrific, so don't watch if seeing that kind of thing upsets you.

Ocean Conservation Namibia

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kind that go over the ears are the most comfortable and easiest to put on. I hated the ones we had at first, which went around the head and they were so tight, they made my nose and face red!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I even bought stick-on metal nose bridges for my masks and it does nothing.
I shove a paper clip into the seam, and put a bit of sticky foam insulation around the nosepiece and that helps. But still not great.
One has David Rose saying, "I'm trying very hard not to connect with people right now." (I probably butchered the exact quote). The other is Moira Rose and it says Bebé It's Cold Outside.
Hahaha, I'm watching the new season right now!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Although I've bought or been gifted some multi-ply cloth masks and have extra filters to wear inside them, I've been using disposable medical-grade masks since they became available. It was almost impossible to get them in early spring. They reportedly block more particles than reusable masks do. We have a few big packs of the blue polypropylene surgical masks for short encounters with others, e.g., a quick stop at the bakery, plus a pack of N95 masks for lengthier ones, e.g., a doctor's visit. I'd prefer reusable masks, but living in a hot spot and having other medical conditions means environmental concerns have had to take a back seat.

My husband can't see anything without his glasses and has made the same complaint. He got a spray that's supposed to cut down on fogging, but it's not all that effective. After trying several different types of mask, he decided that a disposable OP mask with a metal strip to go over the bridge of his nose works best, but still doesn't stop fogging.