Question of The Day. Saturday 24th of October.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Good morning.

:wave2:

Let's talk about this year's must have accessory: Face masks.

What kind of masks do you wear? Do you prefer paper disposable ones, washable ones, plain white, coloured, patterned, home made?

I started off using the paper disposable masks at the beginning of this year. Every one in the village I live in was given a box of 50 masks by our local village hall. I don't really like using anything disposable though, so I bought a reusable, washable one.

The first one I bought was plain old, boring white.
The next one I bought was hand made, cream with a swirly green paisley pattern. Great for spring!
Then I bought a pair of "airism" masks to use in the summer. One black, one navy blue.
Last week I bought another white one with a black humming bird "Nazca lines" design on it. I didn't really need another one, but I got chatting to a Peruvian guy selling South American crafts and I wanted to buy something from his stall.

What I'd really like is a mask with an animal face on it, so I can look half human-half raccoon when I wear it.

Tell me about your masks.

Last edited:

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is my complete face mask collection 😷

IMG_4355.JPG

I started wearing the paper disposible ones, but I didn't like the chemical smell. I prefer wearing reusable, washable ones.
The white one with blue dots (offered by the local authority) and the blue one (second row on the right) (Fisura) are my favorite ones, because they are very comfortable to wear.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started with an N95 mask, but I felt like I was suffocating in that thing. My mother then gave me some masks she had gotten from Old Navy (one white, one blue). They didn't quite fit because I've got such a small face, but at least I could breathe.

One of my aunts had started making masks for the family, and she sent me two made with a pretty autumn leaf print. They were the first ones to fit me perfectly :lol:

I received more from her yesterday, in various prints and solids. I sent her this pic of me wearing one of them-

20201023_170939.jpg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't wear the masks much, they are most important when you are closer than 6 feet around people not from your household. Around here it is a lot easier to stay away from others. After all, it doesn't prevent you from getting Covid, it just helps you from spreading it to others. The virus is small enough to just go into your eyes anyway or onto your hands or clothes, just waiting to be spread. Hand washing and sanitizers are very important though. Our state isn't horribly infected, and our population is mostly rural. When I do wear a mask it is a disposable one. Touching the mask often, such as when reapplying it, or putting it in the washer is a good way to spread the virus. If you wear these, I would carry a plastic bag to put it in and try to just touch that when putting it in the washer. The best way to avoid Covid is to stay away from big crowds. We still have counties that have had only a couple of cases.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We got a ton of masks given to us working at the Police Department. Heavy duty masks, face shields, fabric masks, paper masks. I had one made from t-shirt material and loved it. But I lost it. Now I just wear the disposal paper masks. I am not worried about Covid19 so I only wear it when going to stores or dealing with the public in close range. Inside the office, I just keep my distance.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use the blue disposable ones. I work from home so there can be days in a row where I don't need to wear one. If I needed to wear one every day I would have the reusable cloth ones.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure about that?
Yes, I have heard that too. Prevents you from spreading it, not from you catching it. Plus there are so many cases of militant mask wearers who end up with Covid. There are ways to protect yourself but I feel that if you are going to get it, you will get it one way or another. I have possibly been exposed at least twice and never had any symptoms so.. 🤷‍♀️ . I stay away from those who are terrified they will get it to ease their minds but I am not as worried about me getting it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have about a zillion cloth masks---either I bought them because they looked good or someone made them and gave them to me----but if I have to wear one for any amount of time it's a disposable. I find them much easier to breathe in. The chemical smell is a thing, but a drop of essential oil helps. I hate that, because using disposable plastic (they are polypropylene, not paper, unfortunately) isn't great. I do snip the ear loops when I throw them away though.

I haven't been wearing one at work, except when a customer came in, but they just told us we have to wear one at all times from now on. So I'm going to experiment a little and see if I can figure out if there are any cloth ones that work for me.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a box of disposable surgical-type masks and a couple of cloth ones.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cloth masks, and they are reversible. The first is grey with a white herringbone type pattern on it, and the reverse side is plain black. My other one is a beige background with cats and the reverse side is again beige with small pale pinkish hearts and dots on it. I use those when running errands.
I have to use procedural/surgical masks (blue disposable ones) for work, they don't allow "non-medical" masks.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I use disposable masks. I have a small face. It seems almost impossible to find a cloth mask to adequately fit. And I wear glasses.

when I was working, I always wore the surgical masks with the 2 ties in back. Those fit my face the best. Unfortunately, I cannot find the anywhere.

I do have several cloth masks, which I rarely use.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When the mask edict came down from our governor, and the run started, I already had some N95 masks on hand, as well as a box of regular dust masks. Since I only wear one when required, they have lasted so far, but when they are gone, we have a bunch of the blue disposables as well.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two blue disposable mask that they gave when I was in rehab. I don't want a cloth mask because they look so hot. I live in assisted living and the only time I wear a mask is when I leave my room or go yo the doctor.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I have five masks (all with cats) and Rick has three (one has Taz, one is his Eagles, and one is just a simple one). We wear them whenever we go out and we carry several with us. When we went for apples, we wore masks. When we got back to the car, we wiped with disinfectant wipes, then took our masks off and put them in a bag. Then when we got to Perennial Gardens, we wore a different mask. Bought what we wanted, went back to the car, wiped again, and took our masks off, and put them in the bag. I wash masks at least once a week. Oh, and we have filters for inside our masks. They get thrown into the PhoneSoap for sanitation as soon as we get home from wherever we've been.

It's amazing the people who have come over to me (six feet) just to tell me that they like my mask! I'm looking for some neat Christmas ones now. Hey, you have to wear them....might as well make it fun.

I wear a mask to protect you. You wear a mask to protect me. That's the way it works. Or is supposed to work.

Masks.jpg

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started with an N95 mask, but I felt like I was suffocating in that thing. My mother then gave me some masks she had gotten from Old Navy (one white, one blue). They didn't quite fit because I've got such a small face, but at least I could breathe.

One of my aunts had started making masks for the family, and she sent me two made with a pretty autumn leaf print. They were the first ones to fit me perfectly :lol:

I received more from her yesterday, in various prints and solids. I sent her this pic of me wearing one of them-

View attachment 356146
My collection-

2 ply-

20201024_101023.jpg

3 ply and filters-

20201024_101422.jpg

If someone had told you last year that you would start a face mask collection in 2020, would you have believed them?