Question of The Day. Saturday 24th of October.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Are you sure about that?
Yes. The non N-95 type, etc. are simply made for not spreading it, although I personally think they may help. I'm just repating the official line. They are supposed to be good enough to stop the spread of the flu virus, though.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I started out with N95s, but the straps irritated my skin, so I haven't worn them since late March. Also, I had to pay nearly $400 to get 80 masks on eBay, and you couldn't get any after that without paying even more. I didn't know if I'd be at work, and would need a new one every day (same for DH), but I was at home for 3 months, so I made my own cloth ones. DH's workplace gave them paper ones. I made over 200 to give out for free to my neighbors, then people insisted on paying, so I started making and selling them. I also made 50 to donate to 3 hospitals. (One benefit of making and selling them: it gave me the idea to start a little business on Facebook Marketplace for selling other items. I did porch pick up with the masks, so I did this with F/B).

I've made about 500 masks, some for myself.

Mine are the only ones that fit me properly. Commerically-made ones are too large. Also, they poke me in the eyes and ride up. Mine are more circular/oval. I used to make them with filter pockets, but I got tired of shoving a piece of paper in them every day, so I no longer do this, and newer ones are made without the pocket. If I'm in a situation where I have prolonged closer contact with people, I use a filter. I votunteered to take staff temps a few hours a week, so I wear filters then.

I have about 25-35 masks. I enjoyed making ones with fun fabric, and mine are so easy and cheap to make. I made a few with cat fabric. A couple of friends at work comlained about store-bought masks fogging their glasses, so I made some for them, and they say they really help or totally stop fogging. Of course, they are cat lovers, so they got a few kitty print ones!

One person paid me to make turkey masks!

I made some Halloween print ones to sell on F/B, but no takers, so I ended up delisting them and using them for myself, even though they are an adult meidum, and too big for me.
1603632643391.png

My favorite one that I made: (mine had a blue background):