Question Of The Day. Saturday 23rd Of March.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Good morning.

What's your pet peeve?

Mine is people who drop litter. Why would anyone do that? It's easy enough to hold onto it until you find a place to throw it away properly.

How about you, what makes you :livid::argh::angrywoman:?

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a lot of sensory issues, so I have a lot of pet peeves just related to that, but excluding those, my other pet peeves are people who leave the kitchen cupboards open (my parents do this all the time), people who drive slow in the left lane, and since I work at a library, I also hate when people return books with post-it markers on like every other page.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also have a thing with trash. How hard is it to throw it in the bin?
But the main one is speakers, whether it's on a radio show or public speakers, saying 'um' every third word. It's impossible to listen to someone who does this.
"I, um, went to the store, to um, buy some, um, tomatoes, but they were, um, all green".

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People who throw their doggie-poop bags in my shrubbery. Do they think it disappears in there?

One summer, someone came right up to the side of my house and poured oil (from their car) in my shrubbery. Under the windows, where I could smell it every time I opened them.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
People who spend ten minutes in a long fast food line but wait until it is their turn to actually look at the menu and or decide what they and their kids want. People in same long line who let each of numerous kids tell the cashier very slowly and with much questioning from the parent each item they want. I understand it is a learning experience but not when there are twelve people behind them.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would look like a word that rhymes with witch instead of just a witch if I listed all of mine, but most of mine could be alleviated if people were less entitled or had more empathy. Because of that, I will only list two because they are two that recently occurred.

The first one is how some dog owners act like their dog can do anything because they are cute. Example: I am not a dog hater. I actually like them; however, I had two of my cats at the vet recently because one's chronic ear infection was extra bad and because the other was acting lethargic (She had a blood infection and was very ill!). They do not like dogs on a good day. This woman, who specifically stated that her giant German Sheppard does not like cats, kept letting it come over to my canvas carriers and poke aggressively at my cats, who were clearly upset about it. I asked her to stop, and she said that he was just curious. I lost my mind on her. She called me a name. The vet tech had to demand that she control her dog or leave. Oh! And did I mention that she was letting it jump on everyone who walked in? Yep. She did that, too. Thankfully, I was there first, so she did not do it to me.

The second one is when people in my house ignore the full garbage and keep compressing it down until it is a struggle to get out and then let it fill so much that the lid does not close properly. By "people in my house," I mean everyone who is not me.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The second one is when people in my house ignore the full garbage and keep compressing it down until it is a struggle to get out and then let it fill so much that the lid does not close properly.
Aaahhh! My parents do that! I mean, it's their house, they can do that if they want, but it annoys me. And if I'm visiting and I get tired of balancing my garbage on top and take it out, they say "why did you take the trash out? There was still room" :doh:. So I don't take it out. But jeesh, why?!?!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Aaahhh! My parents do that! I mean, it's their house, they can do that if they want, but it annoys me. And if I'm visiting and I get tired of balancing my garbage on top and take it out, they say "why did you take the trash out? There was still room" :doh:. So I don't take it out. But jeesh, why?!?!
My mother, who does the same thing would respond that she “didn’t want to waste a bag “ . The trash liner bags are apparently precious and costly things.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Grammar, specifically the improper use of grammar:

"There's, like, only one pack of paper back at the, uh, like printer. We, like, need paper."

"She's preggers!" Or "She's preggo!" as the case may be.

Using text speak in an email. I'd rather you not email me. I don't even use text speak in my texts.

"Oh, your not doing it right." So "not doing it right" belongs to me? Seriously? It must because the correct word is "you're". I see that one all the time. Makes me crazy.

Using the word "seriously". I need to stop doing that.

Using 15 million exclamation marks at the end of a sentence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Improperly using the ellipsis. I need to stop doing that, too.

Need I continue? (And, BTW, I'm guilty of it as well)

And while I'm thinking about it, people with whiny little brats who don't know how to behave when in public. And the parents let it go because, "Aren't they just sooooo cute?!" No, they're not.

People who drive slowly in the passing lane. Period. At least drive the speed limit, for cryin' out loud. New Yorkers, I'm talking to you! Do us all a favor and stay in your own state, please. It seems that every time I'm driving home from work, I'm in the passing lane and I get behind a New Yorker who must think it's ever so nice to drive ten miles below the speed limit. In the passing lane.

I'll shut up now.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mother, who does the same thing would respond that she “didn’t want to waste a bag “ . The trash liner bags are apparently precious and costly things.
7 cents each, if you buy the store brand at Costco! 13 cents each if you get the name brand. I don't think this is going to break anybody but whatever :D.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Home Owners Associations. Common in Texas, since there are no zoning laws. You know, 'Can't have big gubmimt telling us what to do!". So subdivisions have HOAs. They act like dictators.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My pet peeves include everything already mentioned. And then some. Well, excluding the trash bag issue. I don't have that problem and it does save on bags being thrown away. Being an animal-oriented, environment-conscious person, grammar freak, though, I have rather little patience for many people.

My main pet peeve is the general obsession with convenience that most people have, which covers a lot. Like people wanting newer, better things at the expense of the environment. Or like the people who get a dog or a cat or a whatever else, but aren't willing to put the time and effort into taking care of it. This especially bothers me because I volunteer at a shelter and see the animals that people have decided are too difficult to take care. The dog jumps or mouths or whatever else it may be and is too much for the owner who didn't bother training it when it was a puppy. These behaviors aren't hard to fix. They just take time, patience, and effort. I take these dogs out and work with them. I walk them, play with them, and train them. Within half an hour there's usually an improvement in their behavior issues just because they've gotten out, gotten exercise, and gotten mental stimulation. I can usually get them doing a basic trick within ten minutes.

It also bothers me when people go to the dog forum I'm on to get information about getting a dog and describe what they can offer to get advice on what kind of dog they should look for. Then the people that answer say, "You can't take care of a dog, get a cat." ….Do I even have to say why this is annoying? These are two different, separate species with unique needs. You can't replace one with the other. A cat is not a dog with fewer requirements. It's a cat that has different requirements. Not to mention, cats and dogs are so different mentally that not everyone who likes dogs is not necessarily going to like a cat or vice versa.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine are -
*People who don't hold the door open for you
*People who don't thank you when helping them in public
*People who don't give up their seats to those in need of them on public transport, especially card priority holders (as a priority holder myself this really grinds my gears)
*People who litter, especially in parks and other natural attractions
*Children who try to chase pigeons and other birds/small animals by kicking them (I live in London and see this a lot here, and whilst the kids can have fun it's not fun for the animals at hand!)
*People who kick seats behind you on public transport
*People who stare at you or who make it obvious they're talking about you in public
*People who put things in odd places in the supermarket e.g. today someone had placed a bag of bread in the toiletries section
*Smokers and vapers
*On social media; people who follow and then unfollow straight away and also the dislike function on YouTube/Facebook

In other words, people in general are my pet peeve. Cats and dogs are way better :lol:

My pet peeve is people who are rude. It doesn't take too much effort to be courteous and thoughtful. Plus a little kindness goes a long way and can be less stressful too.
THIS! Is one of my biggest pet peeves as well; along with, in a similar vain, nitpickers who comment on EVERY single little thing, especially when not done constructively.