Question of The Day. Saturday 23rd of January.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in Northern Ontario, Canada. I have no choice but to drive in the snow...but I do hate it. I will try to plan any "non-essential" outings when we don't get a storm or a larger snow fall, but I still have to get to work, which thankfully is not too far from my home.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do drive in the snow, and I am pretty good at it. I have slipped off the road once during an ice storm last year. I remained calm until a fire truck, police car, and ambulance showed up and made me get out of my car and go to the new dispatch station despite the fact that my son, husband, and a tow truck were on the way. They had more than a dozen cars in ditches and meridian (I was turned around in a meridian,), but for some reason I was the only one at the station.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are certain basic rules that can make driving in snow much easier.
I should add that if you do have to stop at a stop sign, put your car in 2nd gear before starting out again. The lower torque makes it easier to get going rather than just spinning your wheels.

Also, pay attention to the traffic a block or two in front of you - anticipate problems. And try to drive at a speed that will let you catch green lights.

Margret

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should add that if you do have to stop at a stop sign, put your car in 2nd gear before starting out again. The lower torque makes it easier to get going rather than just spinning your wheels.

Also, pay attention to the traffic a block or two in front of you - anticipate problems. And try to drive at a speed that will let you catch green lights.
If I ever am at a stop sign or intersection...or even if I have the right of way driving passed an intersection, and I notice a vehicle reaching the intersection, I make sure to focus on the wheels of vehicle rather than just the vehicle. If you see the wheels are not turning but they are moving, you can anticipate if you need to avoid a possible collision or simply wait before proceeding thru if your stopped, in case they slide out in front of you. Roads are always the most slick at intersection points and people often slide into intersections, even if it's just a couple feet passed where they should be stopped...

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Here In Minnesota it can snow a few times a week in winter so you have to get used to driving on snow covered roads. I used to drive 30 miles each way to and from work and drove in all kinds of bad conditions. Now that I am retired I can be selective on when to drive and will stay home if the roads are really bad.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here In Minnesota it can snow a few times a week in winter so you have to get used to driving on snow covered roads. I used to drive 30 miles each way to and from work and drove in all kinds of bad conditions. Now that I am retired I can be selective on when to drive and will stay home if the roads are really bad.
Same here; leave the house at 4:00a.m. to drive 30 miles to work. Often, the plows hadn't been out yet and the front bumper on my '98 Dodge 4x4 pickup would be pushing snow, like it did the time it took around 3 hours to drive that 30 miles home during a blizzard. Yes, it was slow going, but I made it in one piece.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eastern Ontario Here - So a snow driver for many years and used to it, have to for work, errands and the like. For everyday things it's Ok and normal, but it is crazy stressful if a snow storm/ice storm is involved. That's when I really hate winter driving :cringe: I can do it but it really sucks lol and with side factors too, like having to cancel something or not able to go to work and thus lose a shift. If I am fortunate enough knowing I don't have to go anywhere or lose/reconsider an event then I happily avoid such seasonal driving. I'll also stock up a bit the day before so I know my fur kids and myself have everything too.

And very random but my goodness Norachan Norachan ! Your current avatar is soooo pretty! Such a nice pic!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Same here; leave the house at 4:00a.m. to drive 30 miles to work. Often, the plows hadn't been out yet and the front bumper on my '98 Dodge 4x4 pickup would be pushing snow, like it did the time it took around 3 hours to drive that 30 miles home during a blizzard. Yes, it was slow going, but I made it in one piece.
I feel very blessed not to have ever had a snow related accident after driving so many miles with accidents And cars in ditches everywhere. The worst ever was a snowstorm a few years before I retired. Not that much snow but the right consistency to make cars and even four wheel drive trucks lose traction. I was on a five lane interstate going up a steep incline when some vehicles ahead of me came to a tire spinning dead stop in the different lanes. If I slowed down I knew I would be one of them so there was no choice except to stay on the gas as much as I could while weaving between lanes, avoiding stopped vehicles and other drivers that were doing the same thing until I got to the top. The most terrifying couple minutes of my lifetime of driving. Once I reached the top I had to pull off the highway and wait for my foot to stop shaking before I could drive again. After that incident I left a packed bag in my car and stayed at a hotel near work if their was a snowstorm.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One more point about winter driving: I never, ever go anywhere with less than half a tank of gas, and more often I would stop at an all-night gas station and fill up, just as insurance.
Reminds me I should go to a gas station next time I'm out. I'm not going many places, but I wouldn't want to run into trouble heading to grocery pick-up or the pediatrician, and I think I'm down to a quarter tank.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in Minnesota, snow is nothing to me anymore. The plows are out very soon after it starts snowing and the roads are prepped before storms too. About 10 years ago when I was working at a grocery store, we got pummeled with several feet of snow in a short amount of time so the plows couldn't keep up. I had to go to work (because retail corporations don't care about their employees), but I took my mom's Jeep and was able to get there. A normally 5-minute drive took over 30 minutes. By the time I finished my shift the roads were cleared out more so it was easier to get home.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They should have snow driving school for those of us who don't really get experience with it. I stay home a lot since having kids; but we've had some whoppers here. DH isn't phased but I avoid it if I can. I figure one less driver on the road is a good thing. Sometimes the problem here isn't the snow; it's the melting and refreezing afterwards. Or blowing. The last time I slid was because of blowing snow on a blindingly bright day. Even on the highway traffic would go from 50 to 35 at any place that was open. Since it wasn't technically snowing the plows weren't really out in full force and it was freezing to the road as people drove over it. My house is blocked by enough trees that I didn't know it would be like that everywhere else.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They should have snow driving school for those of us who don't really get experience with it. I stay home a lot since having kids; but we've had some whoppers here. DH isn't phased but I avoid it if I can. I figure one less driver on the road is a good thing. Sometimes the problem here isn't the snow; it's the melting and refreezing afterwards. Or blowing. The last time I slid was because of blowing snow on a blindingly bright day. Even on the highway traffic would go from 50 to 35 at any place that was open. Since it wasn't technically snowing the plows weren't really out in full force and it was freezing to the road as people drove over it. My house is blocked by enough trees that I didn't know it would be like that everywhere else.
Around here, some people hold impromptu snow training sessions in parking lots when the stores are closed. They can practice skid recovery, starting, and stopping without risking other drivers. Mall parking lots, especially those furthest from the entrances, have been used like that for many years.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Around here, some people hold impromptu snow training sessions in parking lots when the stores are closed. They can practice skid recovery, starting, and stopping without risking other drivers. Mall parking lots, especially those furthest from the entrances, have been used like that for many years.
That’s exactly what I would like! We just don’t get it often enough for everyone to get experience. My dad says “You just go slow.” Thats not quite helpful dad! :eviltongue: :lol:

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was working,I drove myself to work all the time.When it was snowing or the roads were "bad",I still went to work.Even during the ice storms,I drove myself.My car is front wheel drive and has never let me down.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I remember many winter snowstorms where I would pray school would be cancelled so I didn't have to go to work. There was one blizzard in particular where only one lane was open on each side of the road and my stomach was in knots driving the entire way. They really should have cancelled school especially since 75% of our students were absent. My classroom had only 5 students so we doubled up with another classroom. What was normally a 20 minute drive home took 2 1/2 hours.

Just last week I had a doctor's appointment and the snowplows took too long to clear the streets so driving conditions were hazardous. I hit black ice and thought I was going to slide into the car in front of me but luckily stopped just in the nick of time. I was so uptight driving the rest of the way to the doctor. But as others have said, if you don't drive in snow you can't get to your destination.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Grew up/Lived in southern Ohio, but went to college in northern Ohio, right in the snow belt. The great lakes would dump feet upon feet of snow on us, so I've had plenty of practice driving in it.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't drive because I'm disabled, but my mum hates driving in the snow and tries to avoid it at all costs. Snow isn't a common occurrence here, our winters are more wet.