Question of The Day. Saturday 22nd of February.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a passport. I've only ever been to Canada and that was in 2005 when I didn't need a passport to cross the border into Canada.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
What is the Real ID?
For many of us, in the past all we had to do to get a drivers license was to pass the tests and bring in our birth certificate. So it was possible for someone to produce a fake birth certificate or that of a dead person and get a Drivers license which then became their legal ID. The real ID requires more documentation of who you are and that you are actually living under that name and identity. So, birth certificate, social security card and a couple documents to prove residency.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I had lost my old one, which was really depressing because it had my Antarctica stamps
I was sad when I had to renew my last passport, it had all the visas and border stamps from my long 2005 - 2006 trip. Some of those visas were beautiful. The ones from countries like Mongolia and Pakistan took up a whole page and were so nicely illustrated.

:heartshape:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, birth certificate, social security card and a couple documents to prove residency.
Yeah, I looked at the application and it wanted all this stuff that I didn't have with me. If I can plan it out and get all the right documents, then maybe it will seem easier.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I looked at the application and it wanted all this stuff that I didn't have with me. If I can plan it out and get all the right documents, then maybe it will seem easier.
Check online at your DMV to see if you can pre apply. Some states are letting you scan in documents or at least complete some of the paperwork online. You still have to go down to the DMV but it saves time.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
But I'm out of work because of illness, so no taxes and the utilities are in Dad's name. How will that work for me?
Not sure. Anything else with your address on it maybe, like a bank statement, credit card bill I would guess but good to check this out with your state DMV.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I've been traveling since I was 20, so I've had a few passports. It's dark blue and I think doesn't expire until 2028 or something. I just renewed it a couple of years ago.

It's not really complicated, just a pain in the butt. I needed my birth certificate, bills with an address, and my DD-214 form to prove that I was a veteran, and have my license so marked. Oh yes, and money. It cost me $95 for the New license.
I just got one of those. Pain in the butt for sure. Most of my mail goes to my PO box, and my spouse has a different last name, so it was a chore just to find something addressed to my correct name at my residence address. Then there was the search for my Social Security card. :cringe: :lol: $95 for yours! Mine was $35 here in CA.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been traveling since I was 20, so I've had a few passports. It's dark blue and I think doesn't expire until 2028 or something. I just renewed it a couple of years ago.

I just got one of those. Pain in the butt for sure. Most of my mail goes to my PO box, and my spouse has a different last name, so it was a chore just to find something addressed to my correct name at my residence address. Then there was the search for my Social Security card. :cringe: :lol: $95 for yours! Mine was $35 here in CA.
Well, NY isn't known as ' The Vampire State' for nothing.