Question of The Day. Saturday 22nd of February.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine's maroon I've got three year's on it before I get a blue one. Hubby and son renewed last year so I'll be the first one to get the new passport out of us.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine ran out about 20 years ago and I think it might have been dark blue but I cant be sure. As I have a deep fear of flying I wont be getting another.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to get one of those, but the form looked so complicated, it gave me anxiety. They wanted utility bill and a bunch of other stuff? I only had a hour before they closed and I was at the deadline of having to retake my road test if I didn't get it renewed that day.
If you even want to fly in USA after I think, October of this year (at least the Minnesota deadline) you will need an enhanced ID or drivers license.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have both a passport and the passport card (I had lost my old one, which was really depressing because it had my Antarctica stamps in it, and since I had to go through hoops to get a new one and say the old one was lost, I figured I'd get the card, too).

It's navy blue and expires in 2025.
I have the passport card too - worth the extra few dollars. It’s only good for US flying but easier to carry around that full passport.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the passport card too - worth the extra few dollars. It’s only good for US flying but easier to carry around that full passport.
I think it also works if you drive into Canada or Mexico and if you get on a boat to the Caribbean, but I don't recall for sure. I do keep it in my wallet and use it for domestic flights.

I'll probably get the Real ID once we move and I have to change up my driver's license anyway.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can drive into Canada or Mexico with the card, too. But if you have to fly out for some reason (including being airlifted to an American hospital) you'd need a full passport, so it's not recommended to get JUST the card, but get both and use the card for convenience.

I think you might need the full passport for Caribbean cruises now. Well, OK, you don't need it for the cruise itself, but if you want to get off the boat at a port you'll need one.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't had a passport since I was a teenager. I think I may get one now because of the Real ID requirement. If you have a passport, you don't need a Real ID, because they require the same kind of documentation.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't had a passport since I was a teenager. I think I may get one now because of the Real ID requirement. If you have a passport, you don't need a Real ID, because they require the same kind of documentation.
They do, but passports are only good for ten years and are a nuisance to renew since you need to send your documents in again. Whereas renewing an ID or drivers license can be done by getting a new picture taken at the DMV and filling out a form.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No,I don't have a passport...never have.Haven't had the need and don't see that coming in my future.But then..I don't have a driver's license either.....

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maroon at the moment, but sadly that won't be for long due to the recent political events here in the UK... my passport expires next summer.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In Ohio at least I was told that the renewal would go back to the same as a regular driver's license. Just take the vision check and a new picture. They don't give you the license right there, that gets mailed. They punch holes in the corner of the old license and that along with a paper showing that it has been renewed serves as a legal license until the new one comes in the mail. The new license takes a little over a week to be delivered.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Shortly after 911 a federal law mandated that people have ID that proves their identity to board a plane and to gain entry into some federal buildings, that ID is supposed to have the legal documents supporting it to prove the person's identity and citizenship. The deadline for that requirement is October of this year. Most states now have at least the option to get a driver's license that meets that requirement. The licenses that are compliant have a star in the upper right hand corner. You have to have a copy of your birth certificate, proof of name changes, proof of social security number and proof of legal residence, at least that is the requirement in Ohio to get a compliant driver's license. A passport can also be used.